Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Well, 2016 0-5 LAF stats are out.  It looks like the overall promotion rate for all zones combined was slightly lower than last year (although the IPZ promotion rate was a little higher this year than last).  

Most unique data point of them all IMO; one 'P' BPZ from 3096 'P' BPZs who got promoted, while also beating out 268 'DP' BPZs who didn't get the nod for 0-5.

2016 LAF LTC.xlsx

So the dates for the 08 Maj board came out and it will be in March of next year. Now with that I have a few questions, first, what is the cutoff date for something being part of the package that meets the board. The reason I ask is I have at least one wing lvl award as well as a project which is has MAJCOM/CC vis which will be complete by the end of year but was not documented on my previous OPR. Second question, how can I get those items documented to be added to my PRF? Also, my next OPR isn't scheduled to close out til Feb of next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Lstcause257.  The cutoff date would be whatever date your SR signs your PRF.  All items in the PRF are supposed to be cited from OPRs, TRs, DECs, but SRs always have wiggle room.  So if you have a big award or something, it shouldn't be a problem.  Your wing may have their own process, but an MFR from your CC stating the award (with documentation like the official announcement) going up with your PRF package should cover it.

I had a few items in my PRF and previous RRFs that were recent and not-yet in OPRs and there were no issues at the MFR or at the board.

Good luck.

zb

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

So the dates for the 08 Maj board came out and it will be in March of next year. Now with that I have a few questions, first, what is the cutoff date for something being part of the package that meets the board. The reason I ask is I have at least one wing lvl award as well as a project which is has MAJCOM/CC vis which will be complete by the end of year but was not documented on my previous OPR. Second question, how can I get those items documented to be added to my PRF? Also, my next OPR isn't scheduled to close out til Feb of next year.

What exactly will be in March?  Accounting date?  PRFs due to MAJCOM?  Actual board date?

Dude... wow. March? That's crazy.

Isn't it? We've gone from guys waiting forever to pin on to almost having the board as early as possible in the year very quickly. Is this a symptom of a larger problem? So few O-4s we now have to promote as early as we can?

2 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

Isn't it? We've gone from guys waiting forever to pin on to almost having the board as early as possible in the year very quickly. Is this a symptom of a larger problem? So few O-4s we now have to promote as early as we can?

Three of the guys who got promoted from the 05 group at my base are leaving the Air Force less than a year after pinning on.  I know at least one 06 guy with similar plans, and an 07 guy who just got his PRF back and already has applications in with airlines and a job at the reserve squadron.

11 minutes ago, Slander said:

So...when does this mean my PRF closeout date will be as an '08 captain? Or can someone tell me where to find that information that isn't "call your exec" please?

Assuming they've released all the dates, you should be able to find it on MyPers under "Officer Promotions".  It will typically have  a timeline for board date, accounting date, final date to get stuff into the selection folder.  We can't tell you when the stuff will be due to your squadron or your wing...that is an answer that you will actually need to talk to the exec to get.

So...when does this mean my PRF closeout date will be as an '08 captain? Or can someone tell me where to find that information that isn't "call your exec" please?

It should be posted in the promotion section on mypers.

Look under Officer Promotions on myPers. 27 Mar - 7 Apr are the board dates.  They haven't published the milestones list for 2017 yet (can be found on same page), but using this year's timeline, looks like an accounting date of around Oct '16 and PRFs due to MAJCOM around the end of Jan '17.

Anybody catch that there is another Maj LAF board also in Dec '17?. Is that most likely for '09 guys?  If that's the case, it seems as though there was a full reversal from the decision to postpone the '05 year group. Either that or they can't deal with the impending shortage of 0-4s. 

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Truman08

17 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

A few points: 

- Theres always a possibility to work a CRO or other means to generate an OPR date movement in front of the board for your PRF or draft a medal for an accomplishment.

- Although there are "sticklers" in the Air Force who will insist every bullet originates from a report of some kind, this requirement is not accurate. The actual requirement points out that the Senior Rater "must know the information to be true". This means if an action is so great it makes the cut-line for a PRF, it can be included without previously being on a report. This also means if your stratification has improved since your last report, it can (and should) reflect in the push line. 

Hope this helps. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Slander said:

where to find that information that isn't "call your exec" please?

Why's that?  This type of thing literally makes up the bulk of the miserable lives these people lead... might as well capitalize on the knowledge.  

• Upvote 3

Why's that?  This type of thing literally makes up the bulk of the miserable lives these people lead... might as well capitalize on the knowledge.  

Because I like knowing how to find answers rather than only knowing who to try to find.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I am writing a "Do Not Promote" letter to my first look O-4 board.

1) will my Wing CC be able to see this?

2) should I give someone in my chain a heads up?

They know why I want to get out and go to the ANG (family health reasons), but seem to hate anyone who tries to, God forbid, get out of AD. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am writing a "Do Not Promote" letter to my first look O-4 board.

1) will my Wing CC be able to see this?

2) should I give someone in my chain a heads up?

They know why I want to get out and go to the ANG (family health reasons), but seem to hate anyone who tries to, God forbid, get out of AD. Any advice would be appreciated.

Duck,

What do you stand to gain by not getting promoted? You are going to be continued, so you're not going to be able to dodge any ASDC and get out any earlier. By not getting promoted, you'll spend your last 2-3 years getting paid as a Capt instead of a Maj.

Ihtfp06, it would get me to the ANG 2 years sooner than if I stayed to the bitter end. I still want to serve full time but I have family issues pulling me back home. Twice passed over, they will offer me continuation and I will decline it and make the transition.

6 minutes ago, Duck said:

Ihtfp06, it would get me to the ANG 2 years sooner than if I stayed to the bitter end. I still want to serve full time but I have family issues pulling me back home. Twice passed over, they will offer me continuation and I will decline it and make the transition.

You're going to try and go to the Guard or Reserve after being twice passed over on AD?  Doesn't a unit have to get a huge waiver to hire you after that?