Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

19 hours ago, Hot Sauce Hoy said:

Are SR's judicious with "super P" statements such as "my next dp?" Are they held accountable by the MLR on stuff like that?  How often do P PRFs have the wording "definitely promote" from the SR in line 9?

...tell ya in June how it goes. Looks to be a few of us out there.

Saw on MyPers today that promotion increments are out for 06 Maj selects. 229 for April is what AF proposed, but is waiting on Senate approval.  That'll be awesome if that sticks. That should exhaust the list by Jan of 17. 

They are called aggregate DPs. If a SR doesn't have enough IPZ to earn a DP outright (i.e. 1 IPZ for a 58% DP allocation) then his IPZ is combined with all the other IPZ in similar circumstances into an aggregate pool. These records are competed at the MLR for the total number of aggregate DPs.

Is it an accurate impression that MLR drives the SR's adherence to the rules/customs of PRF writing?  My understanding is that SR credibility is a large factor in how many additional DPs they win for their people at MLR.  Does it take on the feeling of an awards fight club or is it a straight review/scoring of records?  Most of us will never see an MLR, and it doesn't get the same attention as the actual board, but it seems to play a big part in outcomes.

The MLR will do a quality review of all records (including those slated to receive a 'P' outright) prior to scoring. Only records that were pushed to compete for a DP by their senior eater will be scored. If the board president sees any issues with PRF quality, there is time to address them prior to the PRFs being due to AFPC. The three boards I've observed were all focused on selecting the best officers for the total force and strength of record was very important. "Glove" saves with a superstar strat 1 time leading up to the board isn't enough. The board sees right through that stuff and it gets called out.

• Upvote 1

Saw on MyPers today that promotion increments are out for 06 Maj selects. 229 for April is what AF proposed, but is waiting on Senate approval.  That'll be awesome if that sticks. That should exhaust the list by Jan of 17. 

Would that mean the next board possibly getting pushed up earlier?

Not saying it would help the retention problem, but didn't we push back the Majors board as a result of high retention just 4 years ago?

18 hours ago, Duck said:

Would that mean the next board possibly getting pushed up earlier?

They next round of Maj PRF's are already at the group level. I think the central board date is about 3 months earlier than last years. If all if the 06 promo's go at the rate of 229/mnth, they could be done by next January. 

Last year was Sept, this year July. If they are done by January 17, I'm wondering if the 17 boards are going to be even earlier than July...

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Interesting data point I heard. Apparently all 6 school selects at Lakenheath have declined. Rumor has it a council of the elders was called to figure out how this happened... They must not read BO.net

Really interesting. I heard someone talking about school the other day. He said something to the effect of, "I really hope I get this white house fellowship so when I turn it down it's an even bigger middle finger to the USAF." 

9 hours ago, ArcticGator said:

Anyone have a link to a good site with some old sanitized/anonymous PRFs?  I'm trying to teach some of my guys how the whole thing works and it's much easier to learn from examples. 

Why not ask your CC?  I'm sure he'd be more than willing to provide you a few and even give you a few pointers.

On 3/9/2016 at 5:29 PM, Guardian said:

Go Guard! We are actively seeking pilots who don't want to go to school or have to buy into active duty BS.

I know there are a lot of sources to actually find out which units are actively seeking folks, but it seems like it is usually a bro-network + timing required to make it work...  Too bad we can't submit an application to a central database and then the Guard/Reserve bubbas can see the list/resumes and give us a shout when something is on the horizon.

On March 9, 2016 at 8:41 PM, ArcticGator said:

Anyone have a link to a good site with some old sanitized/anonymous PRFs?  I'm trying to teach some of my guys how the whole thing works and it's much easier to learn from examples. 

PM me your .mil address, our wing has some pretty good PowerPoints/info on it

• Upvote 2

On March 8, 2016 at 0:16 AM, Duck said:

Not saying it would help the retention problem, but didn't we push back the Majors board as a result of high retention just 4 years ago?

There's always been an accordion effect in promotion board timing. In the early 90s, folks met their O-4 boards really late--I want to say at the 10.5 or 11 year point. The AF was in the early stages of the post-Cold War drawdown, so there were more than enough FGOs in the shrinking AF. Boards went ever-later, and promotion rates plummeted. Fast forward a few years--large Cold War-era cohorts retire, airline hiring picks up, fewer get commissioned per year, etc., and magically, folks start meeting boards earlier and promotion rates at those boards increase. When the Air Force shrunk again, in order to pay for recapitalization, promotions slowed down.

The Air Force is set to expand again, albeit not hugely so, and the civilian economy (particularly the airline industry) is enticing folks to separate/retire. Seems like a pretty good formula for meeting boards earlier and/or higher promo rates. Where we stand right now, folks meet their O-6 board at 20 yrs, which means some--those who get selected 2 below for O-5 and O-6--can get selected at 16 yrs and be pinned on at 17 yrs. I can only begin to imagine how young our "bright and shiny" types will be, particularly in the manned flying community, as airline hiring takes its toll.  

TT

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hot Sauce Hoy said:

So what do you smart guys consider to be the key factors in getting promoted with a "p" to O-5?  (Yes I am facing that) I saw someone post earlier that historically 85% that get passed over have no SR strat. 

No idea what the stats are this year.. and depends on your command.  I don't have the info in front of me but AFSOC last year had a promotion rate of something like 18% for folks with a P.

So what do you smart guys consider to be the key factors in getting promoted with a "p" to O-5?  (Yes I am facing that) I saw someone post earlier that historically 85% that get passed over have no SR strat. 

You gotta be in the top 50% of P's....a few decent strats, probably more importantly though job progression, duties held, etc.

On 3/8/2016 at 11:22 PM, Lord Ratner said:

Interesting data point I heard. Apparently all 6 school selects at Lakenheath have declined. Rumor has it a council of the elders was called to figure out how this happened... They must not read BO.net

How solid is this data?  Something similar happened a few years back in which a number of fighter Patches declined and punched for greener pastures.

Edited by Right Seat Driver
Autocorrect.

35 minutes ago, Right Seat Driver said:

How solid is this data?  Something similar happened a few years back in which a number of fighter Patches declined and punched for greener pastures.

Pretty solid, though not so much I'd bet my wings on it. Info is from someone in a very logical position to know it. 

Not surprising these days. I've been hearing similar stories, though this is the first 100% decline rate I've heard of.

11 hours ago, di1630 said:

You gotta be in the top 50% of P's....a few decent strats, probably more importantly though job progression, duties held, etc.

I have good job progression and solid strats and good top 10% Maj strats at SQ and WG level, numerous FGO awards including SQ FGOY, and a SR push that strats me 1/5 IAPZ and "if I had a DP, he'd get it" with all the right pushes. My SR didn't have a DP, and I didn't get one at MLR. I feel good about being in a good position but you never really know with a "p" and what the competition is bringing to the table.