Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

You know what's wrong with this is the fact that budderbar has to wonder what his commander is trying to say.

I won't speak for communities I don't know, but at least within the fighter community, we are so good at providing unfiltered feedback in the tactical debrief, but so absolutely abhorrent at providing feedback on OPRs, job performance, bar-act, officership, etc.

Budderbar should have had his commander sit him down and say, "Hey, just so you're not confused, here is what I'm trying to say on this OPR, and here is why, and here is how I am hoping a promotion board will interpret this. If you wouldn't have done this and would start doing this, here's how it should look next year."

Feedback like this doesn't happen from a big AF program telling us to, it starts at a grassroots level like this.

Cheers, Budderbar.

Or better yet, honest feedback is given person-person and the OPR doesn't have special code that only CC's or execs can decipher. Ideally, it would be easily interpreted by anyone that reads it.

• Upvote 2

If you're not getting that direct feedback, or have questions like "what does 3/6 really mean" ASK.

I did, met with boss today; he said it wasn't a hidden negative message at all. He said he and our 0-6 debated whether to put a percentage like "top 5% capts I have ever lead" or the number strat "3/6". They both decided to go with the number strat because a percentage strat is second tier. They are hoping the number strat show the promotion board or whom ever is looking at it that they took the time to strat me because my performance merited it.

He also took the time to explaine why I was stratified #3. I had 3 contributing factors that lead to there decision:

1. "to much focus on just what was on my plate" I needed to reach out and look for opportunities outside my assigned duties that would of affected our organization. I can see that point of view to a certain degree. I should have volunteered to run the organizations picnic or flag officer visits.

2. I had a surgical procedure that put me on convalescent leave for almost 3 months. Prior to that procedure I was deployed and while deployed we had a complete leadership change out both O5/CC and O6/CC. So basically they didn't know me and were not going to strat me just based on my previous OPRs.

3. Timing. By the time I had returned back to work and gave them a solid three months of work they were impressed but they had already racked and stacked everyone and OPRs were already being processed. So basically it doesn't matter if I would have laid solid gold eggs our O6/CC's policy is he will only stratify the top 3 and they only do the rack and stack twice a year.

I don't like the whole rack and stack process where it leads to someone being stratified 6 months before there rating period is over. But I get it people's OPRs close out at different times. Considering my challenges I faired alright compared to some of my other peers. And I really appreciated the boss sitting down with me to talk and being honest about it; even though I had to request it. Hard pill to swallow especially being that I only have one more OPR before my O-4 board and I am pcsing in a couple weeks.

He also took the time to explaine why I was stratified #3. I had 3 contributing factors that lead to there decision:

1. "to much focus on just what was on my plate" I needed to reach out and look for opportunities outside my assigned duties that would of affected our organization. I can see that point of view to a certain degree. I should have volunteered to run the organizations picnic or flag officer visits.

Gen Welsh, I hope you are reading this.

Hard pill to swallow especially being that I only have one more OPR before my O-4 board and I am pcsing in a couple weeks.

Well at least you are not PCSing right before the O-4 board. You just need to fight for that Group Exec job at the new base to get a better strat and the DP.

On a related note, met a Sq/CC recently who goes around telling CGOs to get that Masters degree now in order to get promoted. He supposedly hands out a checklist (that includes a container for volunteering) to his CGOs to complete.

On a related note, met a Sq/CC recently who goes around telling CGOs to get that Masters degree now in order to get promoted. He supposedly hands out a checklist (that includes a container for volunteering) to his CGOs to complete.

We must see said checklist.

If he's including AADs in his rack and stack then he's shortly going to be in trouble. A Gp/CC I know that recently went through the CC course at Maxwell told me that its being emphasized from on high that commanders will not have AADs on their R/S. As to it being considered unofficially who knows.

If he's including AADs in his rack and stack then he's shortly going to be in trouble. A Gp/CC I know that recently went through the CC course at Maxwell told me that its being emphasized from on high that commanders will not have AADs on their R/S. As to it being considered unofficially who knows.

A few months ago my staff job O-6 told a few of us that since they haven't been specifically told that they can't use it to rack/stack people that he and others are still using it as one of their metrics.

• Upvote 2

Still not sure why the Enlisted get a SCOD for their rack/stack.. but we're stuck with the, "We strated a guy who left 4 months ago #1.. so..."

How about we close out OPRs a few months before promotion broads, and work assignments around it. Sure, there's still some folks who would get screwed, but that's just how it is sometimes. The vast majority of folks would work out better.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Anybody know when they usually post the promotion milestone chart on mypers for the next year? I'm looking at the PRF accounting dates for LAF (to Major). I can see that in 2014 it was June and in 2015 it was April. Any guess if the trend will continue?

• 3 weeks later...

I think our WG/CC said 70% across the board, but I'm only about 90% sure I'm remembering correctly.

We had a 62% rate at my base which sounds about right.  For some reason I was thinking historically it was 75% DP.  Wasn't sure if the lower rate was indicative of a lower overall rate that we should expect this year as well.  

2 of us from the Wing met the board.  Wg/CC needs 3 to award 1 DP.  Way down this year for whatever reason.  Wg/CC had no DPs...I did get the super P, but obviously didn't score that great at the MLR...which makes me nervous for the board. 

How many met the board at your wing?  It's strange that you'd be in the top 5%, but your WG/CC only had enough DPs for the top 4%.

2 of us from the Wing met the board.  Wg/CC needs 3 to award 1 DP.  Way down this year for whatever reason.  Wg/CC had no DPs...I did get the super P, but obviously didn't score that great at the MLR...which makes me nervous for the board. 

I'm sure you will be ok. You may even be the only person on this Maj's board to get a school slot without a DP. That's a bizarre situation you guys are in at your base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure you will be ok. You may even be the only person on this Maj's board to get a school slot without a DP. That's a bizarre situation you guys are in at your base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^This^

One of my close friends got a P from his MLR for his 2BTZ to Lt Col board and still got picked up 2 below. The MLR board got it wrong, the promotion board got it right, and it boosted my confidence in the system.