Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Guest ThatGuy

I was selected. Got the call from my CC awhile ago! Thanks for all the advice guys.

Edited by slick999

My squad had a dude get picked up APZ with a P. Great dude and definitely deserving, but I didn't think that was even possible. Perhaps looking at the earliest ramifications of the VSP flood gates?

Did he do something amazing on his last OPR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the senior officers that I've talked to about their exec time, usually me mockingly, have valued it highly in learning about the way things are at a higher level. It built perspective and a greater understanding for them when going forth.

I don't disagree with that at all. However, I wonder if that added perspective is more valuable than leadership experience gained through running an organization (section, flight, detachment, etc) with a varied set of subordinates. From my perspective (which is limited), many of our "broadening" opportunities are different shades of administrative work, not so much leadership exercises.

As someone who does not naturally possess a leadership intuition, I don't think the pilots get nearly enough experience, especially considering they run most levels of the AF.

• Upvote 1

Probably going to get burned for this but...

All the senior officers that I've talked to about their exec time, usually me mockingly, have valued it highly in learning about the way things are at a higher level. It built perspective and a greater understanding for them when going forth. If you don't want to be an exec, I get it. I don't. But, and granted this depends on the O's you're exec'ing for, the time spent with a senior leader can be a very good teaching/learning opportunity. I got to spend some time with USAFE/CC and his exec and/or aide de camp on trips. He would often ask them for their opinions on topics and ways ahead. They talked a lot.

That's another way to think about it as well. Some senior O6 on up w/ a hopefully fresh from the line Capt filling him in on what life's like in the Sq's. If it's a good senior O then that's a two way street of information and experience and can be invaluable.

And even if it isn't a good leader, at least that captain now has a senior officer shepherding their career.

Guess we should take those aide-de-camp AFPC robot emails more seriously.

Guest ThatGuy

So ..... AF portal is down right now at the exact hour the list is supposed to be released. Yeah, I need you guys to come in early today. We expect the system to crash because of the sheer volume of people trying to check the promotion list.

Edited by slick999

If this were results for SNCO, you couldn't make it to the AF Portal welcome screen without clicking past the splash page. Us lowly Colonel and Major selects can't even access the public release. Saying something isn't it?

portal is up but where da fuq is the list? not on mypers

My squad had a dude get picked up APZ with a P. Great dude and definitely deserving, but I didn't think that was even possible. Perhaps looking at the earliest ramifications of the VSP flood gates?

Know three guys like this. Two are still AD, one said "Thanks, but I'll go to the Reserves." There is always a chance. All three of them were good bros.

The link is to a myPers page listing recent select lists. The one you're looking for will be posted to MyPers on 11 Feb 15. Pdf

Line numbers will eventually get input into vMPF under Record Review --> Promotion Information. Perhaps the local units will get to see this information too.

Edited by addict

All the senior officers that I've talked to about their exec time, usually me mockingly, have valued it highly in learning about the way things are at a higher level. It built perspective and a greater understanding for them when going forth.

When I was a captain I despised the thought of being an exec.

When I was a major I politely declined the wing exec job when it was offered to me.

Now that I'm a lieutenant colonel I hope that I can mentor the captains in my sphere of influence well enough without the understanding that I might have gained from that exec job.

My job is no longer to be the best operator in the unit. I can damn sure hold my own but my time is better invested in developing the next set of leaders. It pains me to say this because the only thing that really matters is how you execute when the mission gets tough, but looking back on it I think spending 1 year out of 17 as the exec might have been worth it.

• Upvote 4

When I was a major I politely declined the wing exec job when it was offered to me.

Now that I'm a lieutenant colonel I hope that I can mentor the captains in my sphere of influence well enough without the understanding that I might have gained from that exec job.

My job is no longer to be the best operator in the unit. I can damn sure hold my own but my time is better invested in developing the next set of leaders. It pains me to say this because the only thing that really matters is how you execute when the mission gets tough, but looking back on it I think spending 1 year out of 17 as the exec might have been worth it.

I don't know if I should throw up or applaud you. Most "senior" leaders think they can do well at the tactical level, but eventually they fly so little, they cannot, and do not know it. HOWEVER, if the right guy gets into the exec/leadership role and understands they need less priority missions due to proficiency, the unit will be better off as a whole.

First, congrats to those that made the list. If you defied the odds by making it, remember the rule on luck and timing.

The exec dilemma. Execs do learn something. First is that by doing the job, they usually get a good paper. That means promotion. The rest is politics and commander whims on why they think the way they do. But that may or may not make said exec a better leader as it depends on the person and the commander. But it is a highly successful pathway to bigger things. I say that we need to push our best people into those jobs, and if we know our best people, they usually won't want it nor like it. But if we don't, then the shoes will seek those jobs for the sake of making grade, because they suck in the plane. That is a way to get our top dudes into jobs to make the force better. So the next time you see a shoe make a dive for the job, out maneuver them by pushing your top aviator/leader into the job instead. Keep the shoes (Changs) out. And then constantly remind them to not get brainwashed.

Good luck and out!

I made it and even managed to catch the IDE designator. Not an SOS DG or even in a good flight, never been an Exec (although I did do a CAG stint), never was Xmas party/CFC/AFAF lead and have never even met my SR in person… Heck after reading the stories from the BaseOps threads for the last 9 years it's a wonder I even made major at all!

In seriousness, I think there were some changes - for the good - in what was valued this board. I'd be curious to know if any after-action or post-board slide decks will come out from the members - obviously they wouldn't have specifics but general "what we valued" info would be cool to see.

Anyway, congrats to all those on the lists...both O-4 & O-6!

zb

Edited by zach braff