Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Side by side comparison of last year's board compared to this years.

Roughly the same amount of people in the zone, but far less DPs given out and as already talked about, a 7% decrease in promotion rate.

If there are any personnelist types out there, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that the actual potential promotion rate dropped by 10% (from 85% to 75%). The reason the IPZ rate dropped by "only" 7% is that there were proportionally fewer BPZs and APZs selected in this board, as compared to the last.

Edited by TnkrToad

We had a good group of guys get picked up for O-5 today in my wing. I hope they keep their heads on straight.

Becoming an O-5 doesn't turn you into a douchebag. A douchebag O-5 was a douchebag O-4...and most likely everything that came before that.

• Upvote 3

It's not so much becoming an O-5, but becoming a sq CC or DO as an O-5 where I've seen people go from crew dogs to careerist managers. In their previous life, they looked out for their people...but once they stepped into the "leadership" role it was all about them. Just my experience.

Who was the guy with a P who got promoted with no IDE or AAD? I want to know his story.

Not too much sour grapes...but...Having checked all my boxes and drank the Kool-aid by the gallon; quite frustrating to see that someone who didn't show the same "dedication to the cause" be rewarded with the promotion. Understand ever story is unique, but it still stings....

• Downvote 10

Not too much sour grapes...but...Having checked all my boxes and drank the Kool-aid by the gallon; quite frustrating to see that someone who didn't show the same "dedication to the cause" be rewarded with the promotion. Understand ever story is unique, but it still stings....

Because being a company yes man makes you a better officer?....I have feeling your cause and the actual " fly/fight and win cause" of the air force don't match.

Your cause seems to be a"Me" mentality

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And this attitude is why the system will never really change. Really, are you "frustrated" because someone succeeded despite the ludicrous system you embraced?

ETA - additional thoughts.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Bobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Promotion isn't a reward

Shack

They beat Big Blue at their game. Applaud it. I was excited for the 10% of my SOS class that did not do correspondence first. They won. When you see someone succeeding playing by their own rules, get excited. We need more people who buck the system and are willing to die on just the right hill. A lack of courage isn't being afraid, but conformity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest ThatGuy

Will the AAD be a factor or not for the GP/CC, WG/CC, and promotion board for those meeting the majors board this December? I've been reading all of the discussions about the AAD and what the CSAF expects now. If you do not have your AAD by December for the majors board will that hurt the prospects of certain officers?

Will the AAD be a factor or not for the GP/CC, WG/CC, and promotion board for those meeting the majors board this December? I've been reading all of the discussions about the AAD and what the CSAF expects now. If you do not have your AAD by December for the majors board will that hurt the prospects of certain officers?

If you have to ask, I would probably say yes.

You've seen the guidance, whether or not your local group/wing follows the... ahh fvck it.

It's not so much becoming an O-5, but becoming a sq CC or DO as an O-5 where I've seen people go from crew dogs to careerist managers. In their previous life, they looked out for their people...but once they stepped into the "leadership" role it was all about them. Just my experience.

Not sure if it is totally careerist mindset for all folks. IMO (and yes I am speaking in broad/general terms), the AF does a poor job of giving aviators decent jobs with responsibility/culpability for when folks under then screw-up... until they reach DO/CC. Think of all the jobs in a flying Sqd, many are not held responsible when someone under them screws the pooch. Even when farmed out to the Gp or Wg, it is hard to pin an aircrew screw-up on an FSO, Exec, Patch, Evaluator, etc... Perhaps flight leads, ACs in large crews get some experience in "trust" but they still have some control over the situation. When responsible for the actions of people 1000s of miles away, I think the pucker factor rises and the laziest leadership-traits tend to emerge (CYA-style.)

Not sure if it is totally careerist mindset for all folks. IMO (and yes I am speaking in broad/general terms), the AF does a poor job of giving aviators decent jobs with responsibility/culpability for when folks under then screw-up... until they reach DO/CC. Think of all the jobs in a flying Sqd, many are not held responsible when someone under them screws the pooch. Even when farmed out to the Gp or Wg, it is hard to pin an aircrew screw-up on an FSO, Exec, Patch, Evaluator, etc... Perhaps flight leads, ACs in large crews get some experience in "trust" but they still have some control over the situation. When responsible for the actions of people 1000s of miles away, I think the pucker factor rises and the laziest leadership-traits tend to emerge (CYA-style.)

Not sure of your community, but this has seemed to change over time. I would say this was the case in certain situations pre-2009. However, I have seen a larger number of people get held to the fire more and more in the past few years. Will you get a referral OPR for dropping the ball consistently as a FLT/CC? No, probably not. I think that accountability at the Squadron level is on the rise. I can't speak intelligently for Group and above.

Are there dudes who make it anyway? Sure. Are there superstars that cannot fault no matter what? Maybe. But I have seen a number of them fail recently. They seem to outpace their capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

The PSDM is out for the O-4 board ('05 YG). Interestingly - states that education info will be in your OPB. However, the PSDM also includes the O-6 NC board so perhaps that part only applies to the O-6 side.

zb

Just a heads up, pass along from AFPC non-select brief. Anticipate that the non-continuation for passed over folks will continue in the future unless your AFSC is on the critical skill set list(hint this encompassed 11F, 11Hs, and a few others...) Additionally TERA authority exists through FY18...read between the lines...essentially up or out is back in play, regardless of DOPMA, if any of this sounds like a foreign language to you I'm glad...but it may effect you in the future. In the short term the days of passed over majors that fly the line till retirement are over.

Guest ThatGuy

The PSDM is out for the O-4 board ('05 YG). Interestingly - states that education info will be in your OPB. However, the PSDM also includes the O-6 NC board so perhaps that part only applies to the O-6 side.

zb

Based off of this information will the board care about your AAD in making animal balloons? Anyone....Bueller...

Edited by slick999

zb

PSDM 14-70 for those who are curious...

Based off of this information will the board care about your AAD in making animal balloons? Anyone....Bueller...

Sq/CC stated today in a CC call that AADs are now masked until the O-6 board. Or (for the cynics) until the next CSAF takes over...

Sq/CC stated today in a CC call that AADs are now masked until the O-6 board. Or (for the cynics) until the next CSAF takes over...

If you think that will change anything, you're only fooling yourself. AAD's may be masked for the actual board, but strats w/in the squadron and the like will continue to be effected by AAD box checking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think that will change anything, you're only fooling yourself. AAD's may be masked for the actual board, but strats w/in the squadron and the like will continue to be effected by AAD box checking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally, I'd agree with you.

A friend of mine was in a recent officers call with Welsh. This question was asked- how will anything change if it's just masked on the board, because surely the group and wing CCs will still use AADs as a discriminator. Supposedly Welsh turned to the OG/CC and WG/CC and said something to the effect of "what part of my guidance wasn't 100% clear?" He then went on to say that he's moving to stop tracking AADs completely (SURFs), but had no idea that the problem was this bad.

We'll see.