Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Long time lurker but first time poster. Hopefully this thread isn't so off track that there aren’t people left that can answer a promotion board question.

I am currently ITZ for Lt Col. I am in the Mission Ops Support category and was in the wrong place at the wrong time to have any chance to get a DP. I work at JSOC and I am up against rated O-4s that are doing cross CCMD AO coordination that has the attention of the General Officers in the command. My job unfortunately doesn't afford me that visibility, therefore I wasn't too shocked when I got the inevitable "Promote" on my PRF.

Just found out that the stats for my group (Mission Ops Support with ADD that got a P) is at 44% for this board. Not sure when the release is, but could possibly be next week. I think that I have a strong “P” package, but really don’t have a clue how a board would see it. I am wondering if there are any folks on this message board who have served on board can give me some insight.

A quick summary of my package:

• No strats while at JSOC, but did have a strat as an early O-4: of 2 out of 24 O-4s at my old job.
  • Push statement says “Definitely Promote!” but I don’t believe it is not a “Super P”
  • Deployed 8 times for 900+ days during my career (Actually it is 1000+, but they got it wrong on my PRF)
  • BSM, DMSM, MSM, JSCM, 4xAFCM
  • Joint Qualified Officer
  • Have checked all the “boxes”. ADD through NPS, SOS cor and in res, ACSC correspondence. All on time.

Just wondering how my package would rate and if it has a chance to be one of the 44%. Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by Maverick77

Do you have a "if I had one more DP to give..." or anything similar in your bottom line or just the definitely promote verbiage?

Statistically you probably have a good chance considering your boxes but going from having a strat as a maj to not having a strat might counteract that (check the AFPC stats from last year for P with ACSC correspondence & masters on their site). Hopefully you'll score a few points for the deployed time (that's a lot for a mission support type).

I'd say you're right on the border, but with a slight lean towards getting promoted.

Take my advice for what it's worth, going strictly off what I saw from a stint working on a senior rater's staff where I saw plenty of PRFs and the resulting promotion selections/non-selections.

Good luck!

zb

• Upvote 1

It's sad that people are forced to ask these questions on an internet message board rather than just being able to ask their boss.

On the other hand, it's awesome that this board exists to answer questions like this. I don't know what I'd do without bops.

• Upvote 2

I know a dude who did Olmstead as a Capt and got IDE credit once he met his school looks - weird they don't do the same with NPS

They will for a lot of programs but you still have to get picked for in-res like everyone else. If/Once that happens then they'll credit you for it.

zb

WTF? If you do it as a Capt they won't give you IDE credit later? That's some bullshit - it's the same school!

I know a dude who did Olmstead as a Capt and got IDE credit once he met his school looks - weird they don't do the same with NPS

Sort of like AFIT. It counts, but not until the Air Force selects you for school. Once you're selected for school, then you don't actually go anywhere, they just credit NPS/AFIT/Olmsted as your IDE in-res.

Grue, thanks for the link. I believe you are right, I was in a Joint Billet and already received my JQO rating at the time my PRF was written. That is definitely good news if that is what it means.

Just to correct something I said earlier when I said I was mission support, I am actually Ops support. However, the stats are still about the same for both categories, around 44%.

I heard from a trusted person in the Pentagon today that there will be "drastic" cuts to the officer corps over the course of the next year. Additionally, he said they are looking into significantly lowering the O-4 and O-5 promotion rates to assist in the force management initiatives.

Good luck to everyone. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Upvote 1

I heard from a trusted person in the Pentagon today that there will be "drastic" cuts to the officer corps over the course of the next year. Additionally, he said they are looking into significantly lowering the O-4 and O-5 promotion rates to assist in the force management initiatives.

Did they mention certain AFSCs specifically or just across the board? Good thing I'm not an exec anymore, those RIF packages were painful. Best of luck to everyone!

WxMan

Maverick, you will most likely get promoted. Depends on your PRF push line and how well your OPRs read. If you are not a top half performer in your field, your supervisors and commanders may have put things like "potential" and "continue to challenge" and "MAJCOM staff next." Those would hurt a bit. You have a solid record, you are in a good job and you have plenty of combat/deployment time. With the AAD/PME easy kills done, and no real derogatory info in the record, you should get promoted. Commanders and bosses can't always tell you because they don't know. I scratch my head at some board decisions, but they get it right most of the time.

Thanks Liquid, I hope you're right.

Yeah, the sequestion and the inevitable cuts associated with that just adds to my anxiety about not making Lt Col.

Oh goody. Will we deny VSP to folks before we RIF them again? How many do you suppose we will immediately re-hire?

Maverick, you will most likely get promoted. Depends on your PRF push line and how well your OPRs read. If you are not a top half performer in your field, your supervisors and commanders may have put things like "potential" and "continue to challenge" and "MAJCOM staff next." Those would hurt a bit. Y

I understand the first two fake push statements, but this one? What exactly is the veiled attempt at derogatory information?

On another note - You know what was refreshing? Working with Marines - they write what the real deal is...this LT has below average leadership skills, this LT is my last choice to go into combat..etc etc. Different world I guess when the rating blocks include 'honor' and 'courage' vs our box checking...oh well.

Did they mention certain AFSCs specifically or just across the board? Good thing I'm not an exec anymore, those RIF packages were painful. Best of luck to everyone!

Nope, they didn't have that info. It seemed as if this is definitely going to happen, but the worker bees are still feverishly coming up with a timeline, plan, and details.

I understand the first two fake push statements, but this one? What exactly is the veiled attempt at derogatory information?

HAF/Jt Staff for the top folks. NAF/MAJCOM are places to move bodies. Plus, "MAJCOM staff next" is really just a weak and meaningless push on the whole. If you have things like "Sq cmd a must," "#1 pick for cmd," etc. on your reports you're doing alright.

Why is it like this? Why do I care/know? Trust me, I'm crying on the inside.

Edited by Gravedigger
  • Upvote 2