ROTC Scholarship information

Guest skipplet

At NATCON, they told us scholarship increases probably wouldn't be retroactive to existing activated scholarships

I'm going to be a 5th year senior and my financial statement just came in and it shows $9000 a semester, so it looks like it does apply to everyone

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AirForceZip

Did they increase the type 7s also? I've been paying a little out of pocket; not a huge deal, but it would be nice if I didn't have to do that anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 6strings

Here's my story (As short as possible): Just finished my 2nd year of college at Rutgers University as a Mechanical Engineering Student. I changed my graduation date from 2011 to 2012 so ill be staying another 3 years. I JUST decided to join AFROTC before the school year ended so I will BEGIN AFROTC this upcoming fall as a as200 cadet. I emailed my Det and asked about the express scholarship but apparently they dont offer one for Mechanical engineers. I have a 2.405 gpa as of right now and i have failed 3 classes already (due to personal circumstances i wont get into right now). But starting now there shouldnt be problems and i should be on track to aim for a 3.0 within the next two semesters hopefully.

I understand I need at least a GPA of 2.5 to even qualify. But exactly how difficult is it to get an In college scholarship? Am I competing against people in my Det or everyone Nationwide? What kind of factors go into recieving a scholarship? Is it just based on grades/gpa? do they look at the gpa or all the semesters and what kind of grades i was getting? Does a technical degreee help me with getting a scholarship?

I guess I am just a little worried. A scholarship would really help my family's financial status. I guess i just want to know the general grades and package i need in order to get one.

Thanks!!

In the past, I'd say it has been easy but that is based on my experience at my detachment. There are three options for scholarship. ICSP Phase 1 is where you compete nationwide according to your GPA, PT scores, Commander's ranking, and AFOQT scores. If you meet the minimum requirements, you are automatically considered for this scholarship. AFROTC HQ will award scholarships to the top cadets based on that criteria.

ICSP Phase 2 is the commander's scholarship. In the past, the commander has received a handful of scholarships (2-3 a year) to award to cadets in the detachment. There is no guidelines for this scholarship, so you can have a 2.5 GPA, a 75 PFA, and you still could receive this scholarship.

ICSP Phase 3 is a supplement to Phase 2, if you don't get picked up for Phase 2 Type II scholarship, you can still receive a Type 6 scholarship (less money).

AFROTC scholarships have suffered from the down economy though so opportunities now may be less than has been in the past.

Good luck.

This information can be found http://www.afrotc.com/scholarships/incolsc...ncolProgram.php

-USAFJosh

Guest 6strings

So do you know how phase 1 works? Does one thing weigh more than the other or is it like another OoM calculation? Also how many people typically apply for it versus how many they have available? Thanks.

What I would do is find one of the NCOs there and ask them straight up. I'm sure its written in some AFI or AFROTCI somewhere that they can point you to. Then you can Google that instruction yourself and read up on it.

At my school, we generally have about 10 or so AS 250 cadets join us a year. Many of them decide to drop. The ones who stay of their own accord almost always get some kind of scholarship.

Keep in mind that after FT, you come back as a POC. You become contracted whether on scholarship or not. That means you get the $900/yr book allowance (non taxable) and the monthly stipend. I think the stipend for AS 300 cadets is $450/month (non taxable). It's $500 for AS 400 cadets (seniors).

Guest tenguFlyer
What I would do is find one of the NCOs there and ask them straight up. I'm sure its written in some AFI or AFROTCI somewhere that they can point you to. Then you can Google that instruction yourself and read up on it.

At my school, we generally have about 10 or so AS 250 cadets join us a year. Many of them decide to drop. The ones who stay of their own accord almost always get some kind of scholarship.

Keep in mind that after FT, you come back as a POC. You become contracted whether on scholarship or not. That means you get the $900/yr book allowance (non taxable) and the monthly stipend. I think the stipend for AS 300 cadets is $450/month (non taxable). It's $500 for AS 400 cadets (seniors).

POC do not get the book allowance unless they are on scholarship. They are only entitled to the stipend money.

Honestly, you are going to have a rough time getting a scholarship to be quite up front about it.

You need a 2.5 GPA to even be on scholarship to begin with. So right off the bat you dont qualify for at least a semester. Following that, they are hesitant to award scholarships to cadets that are "borderline" and what I mean by borderline is that if your GPA is close to 2.5, it risks going under. Once your GPA drops below 2.5, you recieve a conditional. On scholarships, any academic conditional can be a reason to revoke a scholarship.

Most people I've seen with scholarships have a 3.0 so that even if they got a few Cs theyd still be in the clear to meet academic retention standards.

To be quite honest though, AFROTC is completely manageable even while not on scholarship. Take a little more loan money than you think youll need though. It sucks to be working your POC years. You just cant be as flexible as everyone else and it will turn to bite you. Plus when you turn 21 as a POC its one of your last chances to have an actual college expereince.

Guest AirForceZip

I have to agree with tangu. GPA is huge in the ICSP Phase I. Phase II is a lot more commanders ranking which may hurt you joining AFROTC late. You aren't too far into your major. If you really need a scholarship consider switching to a major that would give you an express scholarship. At the very worst you extend your time in school by a year, and start ROTC as a 100. There are also very limited and competitive scholarships given out after you complete FT if you have you grades up by then.

You need a miracle at the same level that the CAVs are looking for right now to get picked up otherwise. Sorry, I was a WITNESS tonight.

Guest tenguFlyer
I have to agree with tangu. GPA is huge in the ICSP Phase I. Phase II is a lot more commanders ranking which may hurt you joining AFROTC late. You aren't too far into your major. If you really need a scholarship consider switching to a major that would give you an express scholarship. At the very worst you extend your time in school by a year, and start ROTC as a 100. There are also very limited and competitive scholarships given out after you complete FT if you have you grades up by then.

You need a miracle at the same level that the CAVs are looking for right now to get picked up otherwise. Sorry, I was a WITNESS tonight.

Zip is spot on. The only thing I'm unsure about his post is the POCI scholarships (scholarships given to POC), I think were discontinued the year I entered the POC. I could be wrong but I know for 100% sure the year I entered the POC we were not elligible for them and I thought they had been discontinued.

Look into other financial options too. Loans and other scholarships are a good start. There are a lot of scholarships for ROTC cadets that are not ROTC related. For example, orginizations like the Daudalions (sp?) offer scholarships and stuff for ROTC cadets that do not have the same requirements. Maybe look into those.

I got a Type II scholarship my AS200 year. They consider GPA, SAT/ACT, AFOQT, and PFA scores. As others have mentioned, a 2.4 isn't really going to cut it. If I were you, and I say this as a former engineering major, I would seriously consider switching to a non-tech major. I've seen too many people who otherwise would commission get kicked out due to grades because they couldn't hack the engineering stuff.

I switched (was awarded the scholarship while an engineering student, saw the hand writing on the wall, and switched before contracting) and since things have been smooth. If you are struggling with engineering and still have your upper level courses left, then I would say bail on engineering.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jfuller331

I've got an ASCP scholarship and will be starting school this Aug and majoring in physics. Right now I'm supposed to be on 4 year plan, but it looks like I'm going to need to extend to 5 years. Is it going to be hard to to get approved for a 5 year plan now that its already been awarded?

Scholarship funding is separated by fiscal year and when award a scholarship it is for the fiscal year you are expected to graduate. If you are going to major in physics and will need 5 years (which is very common for tech majors) then it is unlikely you can keep your scholarship. But you do still have some options:

1) Work your ass off during summer (sucks double cause the scholarship won't cover it) and extend into the summer of your graduating year

2) If you aren't contracted yet, you may be able to switch to a non-tech major. If you want to fly and don't have your heart set on being a test pilot I would HIGHLY recommend you do so as your GPA will be MUCH better when rated boards comes around and you are alot less likely to get kicked out for grades.

Guest AirForceZip

You will be asked if you want to extend to five years when you contract. It has to be approved, but is a non-event. All you have to do is check a box.

• 1 year later...
Guest kingneptune117

http://www.afrotc.com/help-center/faqs/#q_10

go to the very bottom of the page. at the bottom it says my class rank has to be at least top 40%!

I thought anybody was eligible, and I have talked to people who had a class rank worse than top 40 and still got a scholarship. What gives? Is that maybe a typo or something?! My class rank is like top 60%!

Guest kingneptune117

how do you know this? I am super worried over this. I really NEED this scholarship. I have nobody to blame but myself here really, but I hope you are right about that.

Well there is no official class rank rule to scholarships but think of it this way... If someone else with the same GPA and PFA scores is competing for the scholarship against you and the cadre think he/she is a better cadet (ie. class ranking) then they will get the scholarship.

Guest kingneptune117

alright thanks. not sure why it is on the website though. they should really take care of that. i am going to call them.