Advanced Instrument School (AIS)

Vetter

3 hours ago, FLEA said:

I think it's the MAJCOM/A3T that purchases the slots though and AMC just buys a lot more. So that's probably a big facet of it. 

Wait, you're telling me AFSOC A3T's staff processes aren't up to snuff?, or that the different floors of AFSOC HQ aren't talking to one another, shocked I tell you, just shocked! /s

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Wait, you're telling me AFSOC A3T's staff processes aren't up to snuff?, or that the different floors of AFSOC HQ aren't talking to one another, shocked I tell you, just shocked! /s

I refused to sign off on FTIP reviews without being sent. I was on A3V staff at AFSOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Random question but does anyone have the Air Force course number or PDS number for AIS? I'm sure its on my certificate somewhere CONUS but I'm oversees right now and happen to need it for some paperwork. 

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

Random question but does anyone have the Air Force course number or PDS number for AIS? I'm sure its on my certificate somewhere CONUS but I'm oversees right now and happen to need it for some paperwork. 

Check your myvector. All my stuff (AMIC, ASPM, etc) shows up there under the experience-training tab with the PDS codes. 

• 3 months later...

You still have to pass the final exam to leave on the lat day.

Yes, there is prep necessary. If you don’t do the pre-course workbook you will get sent home. The ETCA and your MAJCOM TRQI should send the course information/materials to you through your formal training office.

https://usaf.dps.mil/sites/affsa/SitePages/XOT.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I went as an MQ-9 guy before going back to manned. Its not all bad. Rotary dudes have to do it as well and they similarly give 0  fucks; and there will be a handful of CAF guys that will join you in self-induced vomit as the mass of MAF guys nerd out about TERPS stuff. But if you're interested in the future of aviation there is a fair amount of discussion on next generation navigation technology as well. 

That said, the course is overall a good time. You can network with bros, night outs were fun and OKC is a nice area to visit. I think its on Tinker now which super blows but when I went most people stayed at the Embassy Suites and we would always pre game during the Embassy happy hour before doing something more fun. 

Do the pre course workbook. You'll have a pre-test (grade doesn't matter) which will kick everyone's ass other than the nerdiest of MAF guys. Similar but not identical test on the last day and you must get a passing grade. Vast majority of the pre course workbook directly related to pre and post test questions so don't just chaff it off. 

As an RPA guy there will be a ton of gee whiz info for you that isn't super applicable which was the same for a lot of caf dudes. But if you have a genuine interest in aviation it's all good stuff to know and the course was taught really well. 

There are tertiary benefits to attending AIS that you may or may not know about. They have an FAA testing center in the building. Recommend you invest in the Sheppard Air software for your particular needs and take advantage of the free examinations. You'll have to balance any personal tests with the normal daily course load though. 

You can also easily get the Part 107 Remote Pilot certificate if you meet the specs. You just need a current FAA biennial flight review; a manned aircraft Form 8 works. Its a quick online quiz and then an endorsement in IACRA from a CFI. Part 107 may enhance your resume or provide side gig opportunities.  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/become_a_drone_pilot

Feel free to PM for more info. 

I loved AIS and took a lot of good lessons from it back to the community (mainly cold weather altimeter corrections and MAJCOM approved procedures for austere ops). Just like most courses in the AF in that you’ll get out of it what you put into it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1