Flyover/flyby Q&A

Flare

Thread revival...wondering if anyone has experience as a civilian doing a flyover for a funeral.

The father of a family friend passed away a few days ago and they are having his funeral next Monday at a military cemetery.  He flew gunships for many years including in Vietnam.  She reached out to me asking for info and I passed on the formal channel to request a flyover but with the holiday and short turn I doubt it will be supported. 

I have a plane and thought it would be better than nothing, has anyone ever legally done such a think.  I plan to reach out to the FSDO Tuesday but wondering if anyone one else has experience or ideas.

29 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Thread revival...wondering if anyone has experience as a civilian doing a flyover for a funeral.

The father of a family friend passed away a few days ago and they are having his funeral next Monday at a military cemetery.  He flew gunships for many years including in Vietnam.  She reached out to me asking for info and I passed on the formal channel to request a flyover but with the holiday and short turn I doubt it will be supported. 

I have a plane and thought it would be better than nothing, has anyone ever legally done such a think.  I plan to reach out to the FSDO Tuesday but wondering if anyone one else has experience or ideas.

I suppose it depends on what type of "flyover" your planning.

I flew my 210 over my grandfathers funeral at a national cemetery,  it was outside of controlled airspace and I stayed to 1000 feet agl so no issues. I might have made the second pass a bit lower but everyone in attendance knew who it was so no one called to say some maniac buzzing the place.

6 minutes ago, RegularJoe said:

I suppose it depends on what type of "flyover" your planning.

I flew my 210 over my grandfathers funeral at a national cemetery,  it was outside of controlled airspace and I stayed to 1000 feet agl so no issues. I might have made the second pass a bit lower but everyone in attendance knew who it was so no one called to say some maniac buzzing the place.

Unfortunately it would be in NAS Pcola's Class C.

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Unfortunately it would be in NAS Pcola's Class C.

Maybe reach out to an approach supervisor and see what they say? As long as your > 1k above the highest object within 2k horizontally, I don’t think you’re breaking any FARs. The only issue I could see is approach denying whatever request you have for ground track at the desired time. I’m assuming this is in the portion of airspace that goes to the surface.

Edited by brabus

We did a similar flyby just south of Denver in the class B for a similar situation. Call up the local TRACON and try to coordinate it. If there’s a military liaison, explain your scenario and I’ll bet they’ll help you out with no issues.

Coordinate with the local controllers. Back in my T-38 IP days, I wanted to fly over the St. Louis arch which is inside all sorts of airspace. Controller said he could make it happen and that I would have to be VFR but still follow his vectors exactly. So, give them a call. 

Another option might be to call around for a group of RV-4 guys. We have a bunch here SW of Ft. Worth that routinely do formation work and have done a few fly bys.