Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

Breitling no longer offers that version of the Chronospace for custom orders. They have released a new watch which looks like that called the Cockpit B50 but it is not offered for customization. It also retails for ~$7500.

You just needs a simple and accurate watch, that can measure the time in seconds and mili-seconds, as flying needs much accuracy, a digital watch will be a better choice than an analog.

You just needs a simple and accurate watch, that can measure the time in seconds and mili-seconds, as flying needs much accuracy, a digital watch will be a better choice than an analog.

Never thought about it like that before...Thanks for the insight. Excuse me while I go throw all my watches away.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

If I had a dollar for every time I had to do an in-flight calculation down to the millisecond, then desperately needed a watch to do it...

I'd have negative $69.

Pilots are cool. Watches are cool. Pilots like watches. Done. Don't overthink it.

Edited by 10percenttruth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

You're right, definitely need those milliseconds of resolution for the HAVEQUICK delay check. And don't forget your air sample for maintenance.

BTW: discernible decimals of precision and accuracy are not the same. A Breitling analog chronometer is far more accurate than your $6.90 Cascio wrist computer.

Edited by SurelySerious

Not true. Mechanical watches keep worse time.

A chronometer is not the same as a regular watch; there is a difference.

[thread drift]

My issued Suunto Vector (which, in theory, should keep better time than a $6.90 Casio from the BX or Wallyworld) drifts several seconds a month, even with a fresh battery. Verified repeatedly from GPS time in the jet.

[/drift]

As far as digital watches go, the most accurate I've seen are the Casio gadgets that get a nightly time-hack from one of the 6 clocks in the world that transmit a synchronization signal. If you're in range of the signal, your watch will have a GPS-quality hack.

Problem is, many bomb-sponge countries in the world are well outside the range of the synchro signal. As soon as you put on your war pants, your watch isn't any better than a $36.14 watch at the BX.

For daily use, however, they can't be beat.

• Upvote 1

Not true. Mechanical watches keep worse time.

1) The troll made a sweeping generalization about analog vs digital, which is not the same as mechanical vs quartz. Analog watches can be quartz or mechanical. Breitling makes chronomtre certified watches based on quartz movement that will be more accurate over time than an everyday quartz based digital watch (barring radio update, the time keeping equivalent to GPS-updated INS guidance).

2) As Jarhead pointed out, chronometre is a specific category of accurate timepieces, which is why I was so specific with my example to counter the troll.

3) Omega and Rolex make analog chronometre certified watches that are self-winding mechanical. Accurate mechanical analog watches are out there, it's just that the trend is $$$ required, hence the rise of radio compensated watches with inexpensive quartz innards.

4) I don't know what other people do, but I use my watch for rough TLAR timing and as a backup... and the jet for the real thing.

I think that about covers it.

• Upvote 1

There are even differences within the chronometer category. Mechanical chronometers are certified to +6/-4 seconds per day. Quartz chronometers are certified to +/-10 seconds per year. While mechanical watches can be very accurate, as a rule, even mechanical chronometers are less accurate than quartz ones.

My casio pathfinder when out of radio range drifts about +0.5 per day... My chronometer mechanical breitling Transocean Unitime varies from day to day. Many days it only drifts +-0.5 but some days it has drifted as much as 3 seconds.

Sorry but your would never see any self respecting Naval Aviator wearing a T-45 watch. It's a trainer...

I'd say the T45 and the T38 are two totally different aircraft, are they both trainers? sure. but the 38 is more difficult to fly, faster, has a more storied heritage, and is far more sexy than it's navy counterpart. many dudes count it as a first love

• Upvote 2

Sorry but your would never see any self respecting Naval Aviator wearing a T-45 watch. It's a trainer...

Since this thread is already derailed...

Folks should sport the T-38 watch. Why? You keep company with one TPS "Commandant" whose distinctive accomplishments include only flying the T-38 post-UPT and being one of two non-graduate Commandants, the other being Buzz Aldrin.

Seriously, Cap-10, it's a cool watch...hopefully, you alternate it with the F-15E Breitling.

• Upvote 1

Just think of all the nasty ball sweat and flightline kitchen farts that have been right where that gorgeous watch is sitting on that ejection seat.

If the T-45 were out in the fleet as a companion aircraft, test aircraft, and adversary (e.g. as the Talon is with the B-2, U-2, F-22, and formerly F-117) they would probably see things differently.

• Upvote 2

Easy there Maverick....I really like quality watches and I love jets. Put them together and its a no-brainer for me! I'm not trying to impress chicks with the "White Rocket" (waiting for small white rocket jokes in 3...2...1...)

INFO NOTE: there are self respecting Naval Aviators wearing custom Bremont C-2 watches...its a trash hauler....

Back on track....

Bremont has confirmed that from this point on, they will except single watch orders....no mini group order of 6-9 required.

PM me if interested and I'll get you the info.

Cap-10

• Upvote 1