Foreign Exchange Flying Tours

Guest C-21 Pilot

8 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

guys he's looking for the UPT exchange tour! where can he go be a student in europe flying/drinking/chasing women?!

I thought Laughlin was pretty damn close to an exchange tour...flying, drinking, but no women!.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Chida said:

False. Plenty of smokin chicas right across the river. Gotta know Spanish, tho, bc they don't habla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got me there. Didn't cross the river that much. Did once or twice in the jet though...but I digress. For a Northerner, Del Rio is another world.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:54 AM, polcat said:

There's someone doing this gig right now. If you want, I can try to dig up their contact info. Unfortunately I'm on exchange but flying a desk instead of a herk.

Bummer.

I'm a Guard bubba now so unless they want to cut me a 3+ year order which I would gladly take for that tour, I think that ship has sailed for me.  If you don't mind, ask your bud how he likes it or PM me his contact info and I'll shoot him an email. 

I saw this assignment a little over 10 years ago while on AD and then learned of the exchange tour to fly the Canadian tanker, would have been interesting to see how the Canadians pass gas and fly their Airbus 310 based tanker.

On the subject of exchange tours, read this one from War is Boring:

https://warisboring.com/an-american-pilot-is-flying-with-the-italian-air-force-over-iraq-271fd8def196#.px85mp277

Edited by Clark Griswold
minor fix

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, Deere1450 said:

Anyone know of dudes doing an inter-service exchange these days? I'm in the VAQ community and have seen plenty of AF dudes come through to expeditionary squadrons but haven't heard of our guys, or VFA for that matter, flying AF toys.  

I've seen a couple VFA guys do an AF exchange, have not seen a Growler dude do one, but doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

On 7/18/2017 at 0:26 AM, Deere1450 said:

Plus or minus having a navy dude that anyone has seen in their platform?

Different perspectives are good, for both sides, as long as everyone is willing to listen. From what I've seen, both services generally send guys who are top 1/3 types, so generally they're decent sticks/dudes. But, there's always the exceptions. 

15 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Just curious if there has ever been an Army pilot (regular officer) do an exchange tour with the AF or Navy/USMC?
Rotor or fix wing (accepting service awarding or honoring a fix wing qual)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say that there has 'never' been, but I'm not aware of one in 15+ years.  The vast majority of Army pilots are warrant officers, and though I'm sure the AF 'could' make it happen, you're probably not going to see a WO flying AF aircraft.  And bringing over a young Army Captain to fly the line in the AF would screw their career.  

Just my $.02

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Can't say that there has 'never' been, but I'm not aware of one in 15+ years.  The vast majority of Army pilots are warrant officers, and though I'm sure the AF 'could' make it happen, you're probably not going to see a WO flying AF aircraft.  And bringing over a young Army Captain to fly the line in the AF would screw their career.  

Just my $.02

Copy that, just curious and thought it was very rare if ever.  

Can't say that there has 'never' been, but I'm not aware of one in 15+ years. The vast majority of Army pilots are warrant officers, and though I'm sure the AF 'could' make it happen, you're probably not going to see a WO flying AF aircraft. And bringing over a young Army Captain to fly the line in the AF would screw their career.
Just my $.02

This...

There are a couple foreign service exchanges for the Army into like platforms (England/Holland for Apaches) but they are practically unheard of.

If you take a Post command captain you're really displacing his timeline to get all that stuff done the Army needs him to do to be competitive in his year group.

And forget getting Warrants as there aren't enough to fill our own manning, and the prevailing incorrect attitude amongst the Army is we don't have anything to learn about how our other platforms do business much less the Air Force.

15 hours ago, Lawman said:

This... the prevailing incorrect attitude amongst the Army is we don't have anything to learn about how our other platforms do business much less the Air Force.

Serious question: Is this because Big Green views helicopters as only slightly above flying trucks/buses necessary to carry soldiers to/from where they need to be; and pilots of such vehicles overly glorified heavy equipment operators?  

Serious question: Is this because Big Green views helicopters as only slightly above flying trucks/buses necessary to carry soldiers to/from where they need to be; and pilots of such vehicles overly glorified heavy equipment operators?

Within Aviation branch no.... however Aviation branch doesn't run the Army.

We are merely closer to the fire as far as some of the wtf stuff you guys complain about when supporting the Army. Concepts like crew rest are met with the same disgust, the difference being with Army units the approval to mitigate it is blanket approved without any review.

Watching the ground brigade here in theatre use/abuse its organic MI unit shadows co-located with our organic Aviation unit shadows has been a very interesting comparison in just about everything.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:22 PM, Deere1450 said:

Anyone know of dudes doing an inter-service exchange these days? I'm in the VAQ community and have seen plenty of AF dudes come through to expeditionary squadrons but haven't heard of our guys, or VFA for that matter, flying AF toys.  

There was always one at Shaw flying F-16s