Foreign Exchange Flying Tours

Guest C-21 Pilot

Guest Hydro130

For the newbs watching this post (sts)...

A foreign exchange tour is an extraordinarily "Good Deal" within respective communities (each participating airframe has different exchange opps).

Point being, no, you cannot go somewhere else for flight training. No, this is not something you need to be concerned about until you've developed a kick-@ss reputation within your MWS community -- it's not as simple as submitting an application.

It's a reward, in other words.

Focus on UPT and RTU. Worry about exchange stuff in a few years.

Cheers, Hydro

Originally posted by otsap:

Do we ever send pilots elsewhere to train in the same way other countries send their guys here to ENJJPT and such?

My current SQ/CC did an exchange tour with an Aussie F-18 squadron. A bud of mine just took off to do an exchange tour with a Hawk squadron at RAF Leeming in the UK. About four months ago a spot opened up to fly Tornados in Italy.

All of them are awesome deals in more ways than you can count. The biggest is being able to fly with another country and experience their way of doing things. In addition, and along with that, is the fact that (in the case of the Italian job), you get paid to go to Monterey, CA to the Defense Language Institute to learn the language. It's a ton of hard work, but I'd love the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest georgelugo

I am one of those "unlucky bastards" that got stuck with an exchange job. Seriously though this is one of the best deals in the AF. I mean all flying and no ground duties other than instructing is awesome. Requirments vary but usually you have to be an IP in your MWS to be considered for an exchange tour. Make sure its on your dream sheet or whatever the hell that form is called now and let your CC know about it. If anybody has any specific questions about it PM me and I will be happy to fill you in on the mostly good and sometimes bad things about the job.

• 2 years later...
There are also fighter tours with the Austrailians, Brits, Germans, USMC, US Navy (F-18 and F-14), and several other foriegn countries.

Any word on how the exchange tours are looking in current days? I would love to take an exchange with Austrailia but which aircraft are eligible and how do I get to it?

Thanks.

I would love to take an exchange with Austrailia but which aircraft are eligible and how do I get to it?

For fighters, Australia is usually fragged for a WIC grad...and usually for a multi-role kind of dude, i.e. pork falcon or strike pig.

I know they do have an AETC style exchange in Perth flying their version of the T-6...I think you need UPT IP experience for that.

Not sure if they have a herc exchange or anything else.

These jobs show up in the normal list of what's available via the AFPC website when assignment time comes around. Not much way to predict if one will be around for your drop.

For fighters, Australia is usually fragged for a WIC grad...and usually for a multi-role kind of dude, i.e. pork falcon or strike pig.

I know they do have an AETC style exchange in Perth flying their version of the T-6...I think you need UPT IP experience for that.

Not sure if they have a herc exchange or anything else.

These jobs show up in the normal list of what's available via the AFPC website when assignment time comes around. Not much way to predict if one will be around for your drop.

They have a tanker exchange too. An Aussie General came to talk to us six months ago about ramping up more exchange assignments there because they just bought the Airbus tanker. Fairchild is currently doing the mission qual for the Aussie Boom Operators.

They have a tanker exchange too. An Aussie General came to talk to us six months ago about ramping up more exchange assignments there because they just bought the Airbus tanker. Fairchild is currently doing the mission qual for the Aussie Boom Operators.

Thank God they don't have to go to Altus. I don't wish that on anyone.

Thank God they don't have to go to Altus. I don't wish that on anyone.

They do have to go to Altus. We do their mission qual, not their inital qual.

Any word on how the exchange tours are looking in current days? I would love to take an exchange with Austrailia but which aircraft are eligible and how do I get to it?

Thanks.

Exchange tours are still out there.

A pilot in the SQ next door to mine recently finished an exchange tour with the RNLAF flying the KDC-10. He said flat-out that he only got the job because he knew someone at AFPC who gave him a heads-up about it; otherwise someone else would've been at the right place at the right time.

**EDIT**

Good God, I can only imagine listening to a conversation between an Oklahoma-n and an Australian...

I was one of 3 finalists for the Perth job flying the PC-9 (at RAAF Pearce). I was the only one that met every qualification,.... except I only had 22 months on station, not 24. AFPC wouldn't waive the 2 months, and I didn't get the job. :darkcloud:

Exchange tours are still out there.

A pilot in the SQ next door to mine recently finished an exchange tour with the RNLAF flying the KDC-10. He said flat-out that he only got the job because he knew someone at AFPC who gave him a heads-up about it; otherwise someone else would've been at the right place at the right time.

**EDIT**

Good God, I can only imagine listening to a conversation between an Oklahoma-n and an Australian...

A KC-10 pilot I know at Travis is going to Ottawa to go fly the new Canadian Airbus. My squadron has two Aussies exchange pilots currently. You should here them trying to do a rendezvous with the French in OEF :bash:

I have bro's from the F-15E community currently flying exchanges with:

Brits: One Typhoon / One Harrier

Aussie: Hornet

German: Tornado

Navy: Aggressor Hornet

Marines: Hornet

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Guest LocoF16

Whoa whoa whoa...I "resemble" that remark.... :moon:

You think that's bad, try listening to a Colombian talk to anyone on the radio, great for a laugh.

The Thai or Vietnamese take the cake while talking to Kabul control.

Guest CAVEMAN
60s do those with the Brits, French, and Germans currently. I'd LOVE to do one with the Aussies.

I bet you will do more of exta-curricular activities than actual flying. :beer: