Classic Thread - Gold Bond Video

flynhigh

You're old.

Well, define "old", junior. Maybe you're right. But I'm sure that video would have had the same effect on me at age 25.

What's really funny is seeing that Ram is a "Gray Beard" on baseops.net. I guess I am "old"!

However,... if these Viper drivers had this much time and energy to go about making this video,... all while stationed within minutes flying time of the North Korean pig-dog-enemy that they should be focused on,... then certainly they could have been spending that extra time in the vault "getting more tactical" (thank you Brabus!)

Or at least they could have used that extra time to pull closed and grab a few extra touch-and-go's.

You see, long ago,... I had a legendary U-2 squadron commander pull me aside when I was a young punk in the squadron. Why? Because I was trying to make a video too (we used Super 8 video back then... it was real new stuff). He called me in his office and said "I need recce pilots, not videographers. If you want to do the latter, then I suggest you get stationed at March AFB flying KC-10's, and rent a place in Hollywood. Now get your butt back in the jet and go do some touch and go's."

Wise words from a wise ass man.

I haven't picked up a video camera since (not counting in the bedroom,... but I digress).

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 3

In no way is that relavent to a thread about the Goldbond video. I am now gayer for having watched that and will consume whiskey until said acquired gayness is eliminated.

I apologise for posts after this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Any particular reason? Was the LOR really that bad?

Yes it was. As a result, Maestro must ensure that this video is not spread on the internet. He had to actively pursue it would stay off the net, and I think he still has to routinely delete copies of it (funny story on that).

Apparently everybody thought it was funny. A few O-6s emailed it around with really funny comments. Then all the sudden it reached the wrong 0-6, and it was NOT funny. Corrective actions were taken.

NOTE: Do not start future videos off with "Hi, this is (please state your name), Weapons Officer for the (please state your squadron) and the only thing more important than tactical proficiency is a healthy set of balls." - Technique only.

Yes it was [reference to LOR]... NOTE: Do not start future videos off with "Hi, this is (please state your name), Weapons Officer for the (please state your squadron) and the only thing more important than tactical proficiency is a healthy set of balls." - Technique only.

I harped on this in a previous thread about LOC/LOA/LORs, and an LOR is definitely the worst of them all, since it gave Maestro a UIF for two years, and severely limits any opportunities, and can generate a referral OPR. It's a sad Air Force we live in, but our decisions can definitely be used against us in the future. My addition to the "NOTE" issued above are the following.

- Never, ever ever speak to the media. Especially in uniform. (thanks Rainman).

- Never post pictures of yourself on social networking sites, or give any information away that will compromise your real life identity.

- Never pose for pictures/videos involving dead iraqis, sheep, coffins, penis-puppets, strip clubs, etc...(you get the idea, hopefully).

- Don't make postings online that can later be construed as being disrespectful to senior leadership...fine line with this one.

We need to compile a no-shit list of rules and put it on the front page of baseops.net. I would add:

- Don't bitch about your current assignment to anyone, wife included. Your commander will eventually find out and the next assignment will be worse.

- "Don't you ever go f***ing NMR for anything."

- "Don't worry so much about the piss ants that you get trampled by the elephant."

- Don't argue with the evaluator

- Don't ask a colonel/general a question in a public forum. They will even invite you to bypass the entire chain of command, don't do it.

It takes a while for new guys to learn this stuff through mistakes. Might as well make it boldface.

Yes it was. As a result, Maestro must ensure that this video is not spread on the internet. He had to actively pursue it would stay off the net, and I think he still has to routinely delete copies of it (funny story on that).

Huh? How is that even enforceable?

Huh? How is that even enforceable?

My guess is it's part of the UIF letter. It probably says he has a duty not to post the video anymore, but since it's difficult to prove who posted the video onto the Internet he essentially must attack every Goldbond-video-poster as CYA until the UIF disappears. However a UIF has a long spoken history, longer than a UIF is valid in a personnel folder.

We're all gossip queens really.

Speculation however...

Edited by Swizzle

My guess is it's part of the UIF letter. It probably says he has a duty not to post the video anymore, but since it's difficult to prove who posted the video onto the Internet he essentially must attack every Goldbond-video-poster as CYA until the UIF disappears. However a UIF has a long spoken history, longer than a UIF is valid in a personnel folder.

We're all gossip queens really.

Speculation however...

Swizzle....get back to work.

We need to compile a no-shit list of rules and put it on the front page of baseops.net.

No we don't.

The strong have figured it out. And when they made a mistake, they mitigated the effects. They survived.

No sense in giving the weak any help. Let them sacrifice themselves, so we can be rid of the dead wood.

There is no shortage of dead wood in the AF officer corps.

Then again... would anyone really "listen" to a "Boldface" that was posted here? Doubt it. As valid as it might be, I know I wouldn't have... had we had the internet back then.

Ram, get me another Ensure.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1

I had no idea "this guy I know" had such a rare and special video. I will tell him to destroy it.

I've got a copy on my hard drive. No way in hell I'm destryoying it though - too damn funny. I also used it as a training aid to my students on what NOT to post on YouTube.

• 7 months later...