USAA

Guest egovolo

On 3/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, Sua Sponte said:

Anyone insure an electric vehicle (e.g., Tesla Model 3) with USAA? For a clean record and being a member for 22 years the rates I'm getting compared to State Farm are insane.

I didn't shop around when I added a Model Y.  I hit a deer (my luck in rural Georgia finally ran out).  Getting a Tesla repaired is a monumental pita, I'm coming up on six weeks now.

USAA has been amazing on the claim.  No issues whatsoever.  Cant speak to the rates, but they've been great when I needed them.

2 hours ago, sputnik said:

I didn't shop around when I added a Model Y.  I hit a deer (my luck in rural Georgia finally ran out).  Getting a Tesla repaired is a monumental pita, I'm coming up on six weeks now.

USAA has been amazing on the claim.  No issues whatsoever.  Cant speak to the rates, but they've been great when I needed them.

Long range or performance? Thinking about getting a Y myself after driving one.

I like MOAA’s alternative to vgli. Pretty cheap (until age 55), guaranteed issuance. Gotta get it within 90 days of separation and be a MOAA member to purchase. Planning on getting $200k for myself and $100k for wife. Otherwise I’ll be getting group term thru my employer which is cheaper than individual policies once you get to age 45.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:09 PM, herkbier said:

AAFMAA was the best when I shopped around for my wife and I. Good rates, no flying or war clauses. 

Be sure to look closely at your coverage in the out years with AAFMAA. They have great rates, but after the first few years, some of their policies include a steep decline in coverage amount.

18 hours ago, TMFan said:

Be sure to look closely at your coverage in the out years with AAFMAA. They have great rates, but after the first few years, some of their policies include a steep decline in coverage amount.

Thanks, I’ll have to do a double check on our policies. 

On 3/13/2022 at 7:48 PM, JQuintana said:

Long range or performance? Thinking about getting a Y myself after driving one.

I got the long range.  I loved driving the performance, but didn't want the stuff that came with it (wheels,.etc).  The LR is fast enough for me.

1 hour ago, bfargin said:

Now I know why everyone here is bailing from USAA...they have to put a plan in place to stop your money laundering.

Dammit...that's the only way I was surviving with this inflation! 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Ok I've finally had it with USAA. I'm moving all my stuff (banking, credit card, car/home insurance) NLT 31 Dec 22 after they nerfed their limitless cash back card, which currently is a great deal at 2.5% unlimited cash back. Their website has gotten worse and worse over time, customer service ain't what it used to be, and it just blows trying to keep external accounts updated.

Who are y'all banking with? Who has a slicker system for keeping a financial dashboard up to date? I basically want to see checking, savings, Amex & Chase credit cards all in one place with easy transfers and billpay. Bonus if they integrate car/home insurance but I can find that elsewhere if need be.

Ally? PenFed? Navy Federal?

I’d suggest splitting up your business. Charles Schwab is great for checking/brokerage. I also have Morgan Stanley, which is actively managed, but I only made the min deposit. Both CS and MS have cobranded Amex platinums if you want more Uber Eats and United Travel Bank! GEICO and AllState have been fine for insurance, but I’ve never had to file a claim with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switch to Liberty Mutual for auto and Nationwide for home. I found it doe snot save to bundle as every ad says. I've been very happy with each. Only minor claims (windshield for auto and hail for home), but both were WAY better than USAA for customer service. I have substantially better coverage at about 40% less overall than USAA. I find it hard to believe USAA is better at rates/coverage than anybody. I did a cost comparison for all major insurance companies and found USAA was by far the highest rate on everything.

For finances, I switch all my managed investments to Schwab and Fidelity. I used these to get a one-year comparison. So far I like Schwab best.

I have not yet switched my regular accounts out of USAA but likely getting ready to go to Navy Feb after doing my research.

21 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Ok I've finally had it with USAA. I'm moving all my stuff (banking, credit card, car/home insurance) NLT 31 Dec 22 after they nerfed their limitless cash back card, which currently is a great deal at 2.5% unlimited cash back. Their website has gotten worse and worse over time, customer service ain't what it used to be, and it just blows trying to keep external accounts updated.

Who are y'all banking with? Who has a slicker system for keeping a financial dashboard up to date? I basically want to see checking, savings, Amex & Chase credit cards all in one place with easy transfers and billpay. Bonus if they integrate car/home insurance but I can find that elsewhere if need be.

I made this move years ago. I use a free app/website called Personal Capital to manage my accounts/net worth in one place. Not necessary, but if you private message me your email, I think I can send you a referral code that gives us both a $20 Amazon gift card (I've never referred anyone before...). They try (not aggressively) to sell you financial planner services, but you can ignore the couple emails they send out and just use the app for free. I've been using it for a few years now and haven't paid a dime.

I bank locally now and use a Citi unlimited 2% cash back Mastercard. By "nerfed" do you mean they are canceling it?

Going to start shopping auto insurance around, heard great things about GEICO.

Been dealing with an auto total loss claim (I'm not at fault), the customer service has been terrible.  Is not proactive in contacting throughout the whole process (I had to initiate the f/u call after waiting the first 48 hrs), gave conflicting policy info depending on who you are talking to.  Lack of empathy on the phone, borderline rude/don't give a fuck about the claim (multiple agents).  Website did not update even after the settlement has been reached so I had to call after 72 hours of waiting because I couldn't continue the settlement process online.

The company appears to have taken it's customer base for granted over the years and is in a steep nose dive.  I'd rather them save their national TV commercial budget and put it towards staff training.

I mean, are military folks and dependents really going to sign up for USAA because they saw Gronk on TV???

I also bank with Navy Federal for checking.  Have visited their branches all over the world and top notch customer service, super easy and fast to get documents notarized as opposed to waiting at the base legal office.

Edited by panchbarnes

4 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

Going to start shopping auto insurance around, heard great things about GEICO.

Been dealing with an auto total loss claim (I'm not at fault), the customer service has been terrible.  Is not proactive in contacting throughout the whole process (I had to initiate the f/u call after waiting the first 48 hrs), gave conflicting policy info depending on who you are talking to.  Lack of empathy on the phone, borderline rude/don't give a fuck about the claim (multiple agents).  Website did not update even after the settlement has been reached so I had to call after 72 hours of waiting because I couldn't continue the settlement process online.

The company appears to have taken it's customer base for granted over the years and is in a steep nose dive.  I'd rather them save their national TV commercial budget and put it towards staff training.

I mean, are military folks and dependents really going to sign up for USAA because they saw Gronk on TV???

I also bank with Navy Federal for checking.  Have visited their branches all over the world and top notch customer service, super easy and fast to get documents notarized as opposed to waiting at the base legal office.

I left except for checking and a savings account last year.  A couple days ago I did get a cheap coffee cup in the mail from them 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, nsplayr said:

Wait it out!  There's probably a really sweet coffee mug that is neither microwave nor dishwasher safe in the mail to thank you for your time using their credit card. I just got mine 2 days ago and it totally made me forget about the 2.5 to 1.5 rate change along with all the other problems they're having.  $0.69 mug made in Chinese sweat shop=USAA member for life!

32 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Wait it out!  There's probably a really sweet coffee mug that is neither microwave nor dishwasher safe in the mail to thank you for your time using their credit card. I just got mine 2 days ago and it totally made me forget about the 2.5 to 1.5 rate change along with all the other problems they're having.  $0.69 mug made in Chinese sweat shop=USAA member for life!

Lolol...oh I got my mug and sent is straight into the trash. Thanks for nothing assholes haha! Glad y'all paid Gronk all that money for his promo though.

Guest LumberjackAxe

For a point of reference with respect to Teslas and USAA:

I financed through USAA, since they offered a .5% lower rate if you checked the box for "auto pay" and I also have insurance through them. I live in the Sierra Nevada, have a $500 deductible, and pay $144 per month ($867 for six months).

We have a unique driving situation and put on a ton of miles per month, so we had to get a Tesla for the range. Since we're in the mountains, we needed AWD, but the Model 3 uses an electrical resistance heater so we paid a little more for the Model Y, which uses a far more efficient heat pump.

I cannot believe how amazing an electric car is, not to mention we're actually saving money by driving this instead of paying for gas, even including my loan payment.

If you're just looking for a daily commuter and don't need 300 miles of range, then there are better cars out there. Autopilot is cool but I'd be totally fine driving a cheaper car without it.