USAA

Guest egovolo

Unfortunately, it may not have had anything to do with "believing" you or not. My experience w/ USAA (and that of several others with whom I've had this conversation) has been that they're extremely inflexible with rates and policies--even if the every person you talked to believed 100% you were leaving, there was likely no one with the authority to make accommodations. They're almost never competitive for mortgage rates any more, for much the same reason.

I like USAA and I've been a long time customer, but their inflexibility and slow-to-adapt rates/policies are often frustrating, and, I believe, could ultimately lead to the company's failure (or at least decline) in the age of Googling rates from 20 different companies in 30 seconds flat....

In my opinion though in regards to USAA, they still have the best customer service around with insurance claims, credit card/debit card problems, etc... and that can't be said for other banking companies out there.

You are correct though when it comes to interest rates with home mortgages and vehicle purchases. For those I actually contact Pentagon Federal Credit Union, they seem to have the most competitive rates.

Edited by Tank

In my opinion though in regards to USAA, they still have the best customer service around with insurance claims, credit card/debit card problems, etc... and that can't be said for other banking companies out there.

No argument there! That's why I'm still a customer--example my point earlier about them making deposits for their customers w/ direct deposit during a govt shut-down (how many banks do that?). My point was only to CH's comments about when he left USAA and how pointless I've found it to try to work anything with them outside the pre-defined lanes....

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm supposed to close on a loan in 5 weeks with USAA. I'm also going to SERE for 3-1/2 of those weeks. So far, they make me nervous because they keep saying "We've got everything we need" and then 2 days later they ask for some nit-noid letter. They actually asked me to explain why I had a credit inquiry from them 2 weeks prior. I replied, "That inquiry was from you determining if I can afford the loan that I am applying for right now."

I called 5 times today and emailed 3 times asking questions and got one email response kind of answering the question. We'll see....

So, I'm 36 days from closing and I'm leaving for SERE in a week. Do I fire USAA and go with Pentagon FCU for my mortgage or just stick with it. They really haven't done anything too bad yet besides ask vague questions and then not answer their phone... ever...

So, I'm 36 days from closing and I'm leaving for SERE in a week. Do I fire USAA and go with Pentagon FCU for my mortgage or just stick with it. They really haven't done anything too bad yet besides ask vague questions and then not answer their phone... ever...

I dunno, dude. When I closed with USAA, my "Person" I was assigned went on vacation in the middle of closing and I couldn't get squat done until she got back. I ended up contacting the supervisor she listed in her voice mail to get things done... If I remember correctly, that worked. Don't know anything about PFCU.

IMHO, 36 days isn't enough time to start over. Especially if you'll be in Spokane for 24 of those days. Call USAA, get name/extension of your loan officer, and call/email once a week until you get back. Good luck!

I close with them on May 9th. So far everything has been pretty streamlined, dont know if it's my Realtor or just USAA. We used our VA and are locked in at 4.75%. Not amazing, but far better than my parents who had 13% in the 1980's. They also send out info saying they need different documents, then on the phone say they already have them. I just sent in a crap load of paperwork in the hopes they will stop asking.

Just closed a mortgage on a new house with USAA last month. Holy crap, by the time the process was over, i was considering closing every USAA account I have. Total lack of customer service! If you can go with someone else on the loan, unless you like unreturn messages and emails. My closing was 6 hours late, because of USAA and the only reason it worked at all was because our closing attorney was a close friend.

• Upvote 1

are you guys that use PenFed happy? I signed up for an account with them last week, and called in today to ask a couple of questions and probably had the rudest customer service rep I have ever spoken with....wondering if it was a fluke or a trend with them.

are you guys that use PenFed happy? I signed up for an account with them last week, and called in today to ask a couple of questions and probably had the rudest customer service rep I have ever spoken with....wondering if it was a fluke or a trend with them.

I've been fairly happy with the credit card...customer service seems competent. Don't know about other aspects of penfed.

• 3 months later...

I've had absolutely no problems with USAA Mortgage. The rate was very competitive at the time, and they even called me when rates lowered, wanting to know if I wanted to refinance.

DO NOT USE USAA FOR A MORTGAGE! Google "USAA Mortgage" and find the first good comment. It'll be somewhere on the 69th page probably. For everything else, USAA is awesome though.

I concur. Also look at the reviews on their website and sort by date (rather than the default "highest rating"). I have used USAA for 3 houses now. The first 2 I could not have been happier. The house I closed on last month was a disaster. My closing date was pushed back 3 times (each time it was the night prior). Twice they said closing was on, and my wife waited at the attorney's office only to not be able to get anyone on the phone when the documents failed to arrive. There were many more issues. The end result is that we closed 28 days after their "guaranteed" closing date. I think that there are some good people there but they have over hired and under trained in the past two years. If you get an experienced person, I am sure you will have no problems. If you get the processer we got, you will have to resend the same documents several times, and have a nightmare. I escalated my problem after the 2nd missed closing to her supervisor and manager. The manager assured me that he would personally watch the case, but everything was good from his standpoint. When the 3rd closing was missed, he told me that was not watching it since he thought the original processor had figured out. He also told me that he was really busy and could not watch all of his processors. If a guy is too busy to manage a processor that messed up 2 consecutive closings then something is broken.

I don’t know if it is worse if a manger does not know that his processor has missed two closing dates, or after he is told by the customer two weeks prior to the 3rd attempt, he does not care enough to prevent the 3rd failure.

My escrow agent and realtor were both unable to get a hold of anyone. Their phone cue for in process applications is separate. In approximately 30 calls during my 60 day closing, I was able to get someone on the phone once. The rest of time it went to voice mail. The if you need immediate assistance call this person also was directed to voice mail. Overall it was a 3 person circle on my “team” that all screened their calls.

My lesson learned is call and ask for the Executive Response Team (ERT). They were able to solve the problem in 24 hours after the 3rd missed closing. They were typical USAA awesome. They also explained that the original processor was still in training and had made many errors. Apparently she had messed up the file pretty bad. They said that they were going to retrain the processor and the manager. Overall it was eye opening for me. I am not sure that I could trust someone that I can't see. When someone does not reply to messages, screens their calls, and will not return e-mail for weeks at a time it is not workable. The original processor was so bad it was scary and the manager's lack of concern just seemed wrong.

Rant off..

My experience with a USAA mortgage, while not a bad as badgerPilot, was still terrible. My mortgage processor never answered the phone, and only sporadically answered voicemail messages. I did not miss my closing, but came close. I ended up getting so frustrated with USAA that when I had to get homeowner's insurance, I went with a local agent who got me a much better rates for both home and car (I canceled my USAA auto policy).

I recently did a VA IRRL refinance since rates dropped significantly in the last couple years since I bought the house. I ended up shopping for rates on Zillow and went with the National Bank of Kansas City. Little no-name bank, but they actually wanted my business, process was very smooth and the processor was professional and easy to get a hold of. Plus the rate was much better than what USAA was offering.

I have an NCO that recently closed on a house with USAA and their experience was similar to mine. Processor never answered the phone, never called back. Making the closing came down to the last minute. They will never use USAA again after that experience.

It appears USAA is trying to expand their market share and play with the big boys. I see their ads all the time on TV now. It's unfortunate that it seems they've lost their customer service as a result.

went with the National Bank of Kansas City. Little no-name bank, but they actually wanted my business, process was very smooth and the processor was professional and easy to get a hold of. Plus the rate was much better than what USAA was offering.

Big "2" on NBoKC. I was referred to my loan officer two houses & two re-fis ago, and I haven't looked back--I barely even shop around any more, her rates are *always* better than I see anywhere else, there's a flat-fee application (that goes toward the loan at closing), the rates they quote are no-points (points available if you want to buy down, of course) and *no origination* fee. Best of all, several of the loan officers (including mine) actively seek out the "niche" market of military borrowers--and, as a fringe benefit, they "speak military," understand LES's, why your taxable income and actual income may have nothing in common, etc.

If anyone wants a direct referral, PM me.

[in the interest of full disclosure, in addition to the best mortage deal, after my latest loan closed I started dating my loan officer. That said, I'd referred her to multiple people long before we met in person, and I stand by my purely-business opinions above. However, I can't wait to see how I do on my *next* loan.... :rock: ]

...after my latest loan closed I started dating my loan officer.

Really? Which one?

1. 43.jpg2.52.jpg3.8.jpg4.11.jpg

5.23.jpg6.68.jpg7.113.jpg8.34.jpg

9.35.jpg10.39.jpg

Edited by Rainman A-10

You have WAY too much time on your hands.... :beer:

Whatever. You opened the door. Wide open, actually. :bohica:

Anyone else want to know the answer?

Answer the fucking question.