Mess Dress ?s

Sneedro

• 4 years later...

My sister asked me to wear my uniform at her wedding. She, and my future brother-in-law, have no military history. Is it "normal" to wear mess dress at a non-military wedding?

My sister asked me to wear my uniform at her wedding. She, and my future brother-in-law, have no military history. Is it "normal" to wear mess dress at a non-military wedding?

Mess dress = tuxedo

Service dress would be appropriate if you're in the pews.

• Upvote 1

I've got the whole tux=mess dress part. I was more concerned with the appropriateness of wearing my uniform while standing in the bridal party of a civilian wedding; but I just found the "Mess Dress Etiquette" thread which addressed that concern. Thanks for the help guys! :beer:

Yes, it is normal. If your sister asked you to wear it, you should wear it. When you wear the uniform, you are expected to honor the obligations that accompany it's wear. When in uniform, you represent all those who serve and those who have served. In today's world, assume everything you say and do in uniform will be recorded and widely distributed. Realize that when you wear the uniform, you must clearly understand the expectation of professionalism and adjust your behavior accordingly. If you want to be a drunken idiot and enjoy the wedding in traditions that involve alcohol, sex and debauchery, wear a tux and have a good time. If you want to represent the Air Force and proudly display your uniform to add a distinguished and universally respected military representation to the special event, wear your mess dress. Just understand that in uniform, you represent the Air Force. In a tux, you represent yourself. Whether it is appropriate to wear depends on how you plan to act while you wear it.

• Upvote 2

Yes, it is normal. If your sister asked you to wear it, you should wear it. When you wear the uniform, you are expected to honor the obligations that accompany it's wear. When in uniform, you represent all those who serve and those who have served. In today's world, assume everything you say and do in uniform will be recorded and widely distributed. Realize that when you wear the uniform, you must clearly understand the expectation of professionalism and adjust your behavior accordingly. If you want to be a drunken idiot and enjoy the wedding in traditions that involve alcohol, sex and debauchery, wear a tux and have a good time. If you want to represent the Air Force and proudly display your uniform to add a distinguished and universally respected military representation to the special event, wear your mess dress. Just understand that in uniform, you represent the Air Force. In a tux, you represent yourself. Whether it is appropriate to wear depends on how you plan to act while you wear it.

Liquid, you are totally correct, just like I remember from Officership 101.

However,

Who gives a shit. It's a guaranteed way of getting laid that night. I'm not saying one should rely on a uniform or profession to get a girl in bed, but if asked to wear it by the bride and groom then go for it... and if it just so happens to help get one or more bridesmaids in your bed that night then good on ya as far as I'm concerned.

Who gives a shit. It's a guaranteed way of getting laid that night. I'm not saying one should rely on a uniform or profession to get a girl in bed, but if asked to wear it by the bride and groom then go for it... and if it just so happens to help get one or more bridesmaids in your bed that night then good on ya as far as I'm concerned.

Just make sure you're current on your SAPR training, and don't be a douche.

And the uniform isn't a magical panty dropper. If that's what your game is leaning on, you have none. Be a good dude and don't be the "bad story" from the wedding, and you'll be just fine.

• Upvote 1

FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...you must clearly understand the expectation of professionalism and adjust your behavior accordingly.

In a tux, you represent yourself.

The tenets of officership you so properly describe are not (and should not be) discarded because one is wearing a tux.

Unless the groom/bride was in a mess dress, I wouldn't wear it. It's attention whoring and who wants to wear that thing anyways?

I don't see why you think its attention whoring... As previously mentioned, there should be a little pride associated with the uniform and being able to wear it once every couple years to a wedding shouldn't be viewed as a negative, especially if the bride and groom asked you to wear it.

• 6 years later...

Massive thread bump.

Is there any place that still rents mess dress uniforms? I have managed to go an entire 14+ year career without purchasing mess dress and I'm trying to finish strong. Google turns up nothing credible.

Last time I wore the uniform was 2013 for a wedding and at that time I rented from some place that I cannot remember nor can I find any evidence of it in my email.

🍺 on me if anyone knows of a place that exists / is good.

9 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Is there any place that still rents mess dress uniforms? 

You cheap-ass bastage!  If it weren't for the fact I know you're a Nav/CSO, I'd swear you are an airline pilot.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Massive thread bump.

Is there any place that still rents mess dress uniforms? I have managed to go an entire 14+ year career without purchasing mess dress and I'm trying to finish strong. Google turns up nothing credible.

Last time I wore the uniform was 2013 for a wedding and at that time I rented from some place that I cannot remember nor can I find any evidence of it in my email.

🍺 on me if anyone knows of a place that exists / is good.

eBay it man. That’s what I’ve done. Still way less than buying it possibly even renting it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 9:55 PM, HuggyU2 said:

You cheap-ass bastage!  If it weren't for the fact I know you're a Nav/CSO, I'd swear you are an airline pilot.

Huggy I’m surprised you didn’t know...he’s one of us now!

On 4/6/2021 at 10:55 PM, HuggyU2 said:

We gotta be even more careful with our money.  Our bonus options aren't as good as the pilots.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, pawnman said:

Our bonus options aren't as good as the most military pilots.

FIFY.  

Your bonus options are probably better than they are for the 11R types.