KXNA

Flare

Anyone on here been to Northwest Arkansas Regional? I'm thinking it would be a Vance-type person or perhaps from Little Rock. The reason I ask....I'm trying to go there on an out-n-back (my bro goes to school there) but as far as I can tell they don't have a UHF freq for their tower. Yes, some of us still fly a/c that only have a single, UHF radio. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

The reason I think it might be a Vance person is b/c they have a volume-training letter of agreement with Vance....so maybe its just for T-1s?

Lol

I can find the number to the airport authority.....anyone know how to find the number to the tower itself? Or just call the airport authority?

Edit: to add gratuitous Chuck Norris Joke.

Chuck Norris was born feet first. The first thing he did was roundhouse the OBGYN. NO-ONE delivers Chuck Norris ...but Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris doesn't read. He stares down the book until it gives up it's information.

[ 21. February 2006, 23:45: Message edited by: ENJJPT IP ]

I've had some luck asking the FBO a given field for the number to the tower. They should have it...just identify yourself as a pilot and not Joe BagODonuts.

Someone around the wing just HAS to have a handheld radio...maybe you could run your patch cord through...hmm...quick, cheap Victor capability...

Guest C17AFPilot

ENJJPT,

The number for the tower is: 479-205-1010. By the way, got that from the celluar pilot book; it gives all of the numbers for practically every airport you'd ever go to. Hope that helps.

Buddy of mine got his callsign from diverting a two ship into there (in a tweet) after the runway crumped at FSM. I don't think he realized the whole VHF only thing. So when they said, "Contact tower now on 169.69," he's like:

"Request Uniform"

"No uniform freq for the tower"

"Um, well...stby"

"Yeah, about that, can I just land with you?"

I've been in there in the T-6 and its a pretty good deal. I guess talk with tower and ask them what's up with that.

The main tower controller there is a super nice guy. I'm sure he'd love to accommadate you. Just call him on your cell phone when Razorback approach hands you off. Works just like a radio. Be sure to grab the $1 bar-b-que sandwich while you're there.

Guest KoolKat

"Just call him on your cell phone when Razorback approach hands you off."

2006 you say? wow...cool.

Times they are a changin'

yeah yeah, I know we have HF and all that crap, but...

I think it's funny how the military breeds so much technology long before the civilian public ever sees it...

Just use you cell phone...brilliant!

BRILLIANT!

BENDY

Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by Bender:

"Just call him on your cell phone when Razorback approach hands you off."

2006 you say? wow...cool.

Times they are a changin'

yeah yeah, I know we have HF and all that crap, but...

I think it's funny how the military breeds so much technology long before the civilian public ever sees it...

Just use you cell phone...brilliant!

BRILLIANT!

BENDY

Depends on what technology you are talking about.

We had to procure our own hand held aviation GPS's fopr use in Bosnia when it first started,

seemed the USAF was severely lacking in suitable nav gear for A-10's. The cell phone thing has been around a long time.

Guest KoolKat

true.

Nav gear for A-10's??

I thought those were your eyeballs and a chart, all standandard issue...

Good point though, I didn't know that.

BENDY

Guest Hydro130

Ahhh, yes, the lovely "cell phone coordination device in the airplane" debate...

Cell phones in-flight have definitely greased the skids if not outright saved my bacon on numerous occassions.

Simmer down JAGs... I know the rules & regs. I'll take my chances with my Nokia dorking up that sh!tty NDB instrumentation... Thanks for your lawyerly inputs in advance...

Anyway, cell phones are the standard for comms at certain locales in PACAF (particulalrly during exercises, etc).

Cheers, Hydro

I'll bet anyone ten bucks that you can't hear a thing on the cell phone in a T-37. Perhaps its been too long since you flew it......or maybe you've never removed your helmet inside of a T-37. Either way, I doubt he could hear you, and you sure as hell aren't going to be able to hear him.

Good idea though....I wish it would work.

Originally posted by ENJJPT IP:

I'll bet anyone ten bucks that you can't hear a thing on the cell phone in a T-37. Perhaps its been too long since you flew it......or maybe you've never removed your helmet inside of a T-37. Either way, I doubt he could hear you, and you sure as hell aren't going to be able to hear him.

Good idea though....I wish it would work.

As long as he can hear you, just use light gun signals!! Yeah...no one is going to hear anything in the Tweet. So much for that idea. Good luck either way.

I flew the T-6, I wasn't thinking about tweet noise factor. A pre-departure phone call to tower, along with light gun signals should do the trick. Or, contact him via Navy common. Let us know how it turns out...that is, if you go into there.