Questions on ribbons/medals

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

The AFI that dictates aircrew ratings allows time from other branches to count towards advanced ratings (Senior Pilot, Command Pilot), so normally this would count for the medal. The problem with your case is that the Combat Readiness Medal requires you to be combat ready for 24 consecutive months. From AFI 36-2803, "The individual must be subject to a continuous individual positional evaluation program; - Have completed 24 months of sustained combat or mission readiness with no more than a 120-calendar day break.

So your problem is N/A.

Unless boofer left USMC Hueys early, I think his question still stands:

Does 24+ consecutive months in the USMC UH-1N satisfy the AF requirements for an additional award of the Combat Readiness Medal?

Unless boofer left USMC Hueys early, I think his question still stands:

Does 24+ consecutive months in the USMC UH-1N satisfy the AF requirements for an additional award of the Combat Readiness Medal?

Yes. I may have misread - I thought he was asking if his prior to time could be added to his current time to total 24 months.

Boofer - if you can prove (with flight records, should be easy) that you were CMR for 24 consecutive months, you should be able to get somebody to submit you for the medal.

• 3 months later...

This seemed like the best place to post my question. If I have say an air medal with 4 oak leaf clusters, do I wear 5 air medals with mess dress? I looked in 36-29chow my hog, but didn't get a good answer. I'm only asking since I have to re-build my blues due to SOS, and saw my mess dress sitting there, naked and lonely on its hanger.

This seemed like the best place to post my question. If I have say an air medal with 4 oak leaf clusters, do I wear 5 air medals with mess dress? I looked in 36-29chow my hog, but didn't get a good answer. I'm only asking since I have to re-build my blues due to SOS, and saw my mess dress sitting there, naked and lonely on its hanger.

You wear one Air Medal with the oak leaf clusters on the "ribbon" portion of the medal.

• 1 month later...
Guest filthy_liar

Gents,

Looking for a template for MSM citation. I've googled and searched this forum and no joy so far. I'm at a location w/ limited resources, read: no awards and decs dude. What I'm looking for is guidance on how many lines, opening & closing statement, etc. My apologies for the dumbass question, shouldn't be this hard to find.

Side bar - anyone ever ran the gauntlet of trying to get an award that surpasses unwritten guidance on award vs rank? I'm trying to get this MSM for a MSgt on a 6 mo rotation. The big boss is telling me he supports the effort but will most likely get shot down by HHQ because of the rank. My response was "noted, but my intent is to reward for above & beyond in superior effort to support to the mish."

If it is at a deployed location and he deserves it, it should be a Bronze Star and not a MSM. But a BS/MSM for six months is gonna be a tough sell, unless the guy has some real, no-shit combat time under his belt. No bullshit here, I'm talking direct engagement here...

As for guidance in writing it up, you want AFI 36-2803, and supplements for it can be found here. I will see if I can score a template from the admin folks here, PM me your .MIL email address and I will shoot it to you that way.

Cheers! M2

I'd type up a push note to go along with his package for your CC to sign off on. Usually, the WG/CC will allow a few non standard medals for those that are really deserving. Talk to your Group Chief or Command Chief and get their feel on it. They are the ones that will have a good feel on how the system has been working. As far as templates are concerned search around AFCENT's secure website until you find a link to the PRU's (personnel readiness unit) decoration page. All the templates are on that website including a search function to see the status of medals submitted.

• 4 months later...

Over the past few years I've seen various commissioning classes wear various ribbon combinations at their commissioning ceremony...

A few years ago I saw the newly commissioned LT's wear both the National Defense Service Medal and the Air Force Training ribbon while more recent classes have worn only the Air Force Training Ribbon.

The Air Force Training ribbon seems pretty straight forward... "completion of initial accession training after Aug. 14, 1974."

I know the criteria for the NDSM reads that Zoo cadets can wear the NDSM upon commissioning as a LT but does this apply to us ROTC kids?

So I was wondering if anyone can provide some more insight onto which ribbons we're allowed to wear when the '09 class commissions in the coming months?

Training Ribbon and NDSM for ROTC.

USAFA also gets longevity for commissioning.

GWOT after 30 days of AD for everybody.

Does this mean that after 30 days at OTS I would be able to wear the GWOT? I swear I'm the only person I know who is authorized the GWOT-E but not the GWOT.

Got another question RE commissioning.. what ribbons should commissionees buy? I know of National Defense and Training ribbons.. anything else?

Those are the only two that you are authorized to wear right after you commission. You may want to check with your cadre about wearing them during your Oath of Office/pinning, though. We weren't allowed wear them at our ceremony. Once you pin, however, you can wear them. The only other award you'll be getting automatically afterwards is the GWOT medal, but you have to serve at least 30 consecutive days on active duty to qualify for it.

Guest ChangB
Got another question RE commissioning.. what ribbons should commissionees buy? I know of National Defense and Training ribbons.. anything else?

Also the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Small_Arms_Expert_Marksmanship_Ribbon.png) if you received the Marksmanship Award (marksman.gif) at Field Training.

Edited by ChangB

are cadets that are going to the new field training able to earn the m16 marksmanship ribbon now??

It is the same ribbon that you get when you qualify w/ the M-9, with a star on it to denote the fact that you received both that and M-16 qualification.

That would be pretty sweet (in my book) if yall got to qualify with the M-16.

It is the same ribbon that you get when you qualify w/ the M-9, with a star on it to denote the fact that you received both that and M-16 qualification.

That would be pretty sweet (in my book) if yall got to qualify with the M-16.

You don't get a ribbon for just qualifying. You have to score in the "Expert" category during your qualification.

Guest Hueypilot812

There's a separate ribbon for M16 marksmanship? Not that I'm a ribbon hoarder, but I never knew that because I shot expert on the M4 just before deploying.

...Oh, maybe it's because I didn't shoot using the M16! (they are very similar weapons)

Also, regarding ribbons you can wear at commissioning, if you were prior service obviously you can wear the ones you earned. If you were coming straight off the civilian street, I concur with asking the cadre. We were able to wear our ribbons the day we commissioned.

Edited by Hueypilot812

There's a separate ribbon for M16 marksmanship?

No.

From AFI 36-2903, Table 5.1:

Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (SAEMR): Award to Air Force personnel, including Reservists who, after 1 January 1963, qualify as "expert" with either the M16 rifle or issue handgun on the Air Force qualification course or the appropriate orientation course prescribed in AFIs, or who satisfactorily complete the Combat Rifle Program. (See note 7.)

Note 7: Award ribbon only once no matter how many times an individual scores "expert." Add bronze service star to the ribbon for those personnel who, after 22 June 1972, meet the award criteria with both the M16 rifle and issue handgun. Add only one star regardless of the number of times a person qualifies with both weapons. Use AF Form 522, USAF Ground Weapons Training Data or letter from the Small Arms

Marksmanship Monitor as the source document for this award.

Also, regarding ribbons you can wear at commissioning, if you were prior service obviously you can wear the ones you earned. If you were coming straight off the civilian street, I concur with asking the cadre. We were able to wear our ribbons the day we commissioned.

2. We were specifically instructed to have them as part of our uniform inspection a couple of days prior to pinning on.

• 1 month later...
dont forget u can wear the small arms marksmanship ribbon if u earned it at field training

I believe you need the form 522 to be able to wear this ribbon. I qualified for the ribbon at FT, but never got any paperwork afterward.

Guest L Unit

Question regarding parachutist badges:

While enlisted in the Marines, I qualified at Army Airborne. AFI 36-2903 is vague about whether or not a Basic Parachutist Badge would be authorized. AFI 11-402 is referenced. It appears I qualify to have had it awarded, but I can't find something that specifically says I can wear it. (Something about not in an active jump billet?)

Anyone got some more info on this?

Additionally, would an aviator who is jump qualified typically wear their wings above a parachutist badge?