Info on BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing)

Stiffler

I was under the impression that even though I own a home, during AMS/UPT I would not get BAH because I would be living on base.

Assumption: you are considered on AD while at UPT

AD folks are paid BAH ONLY when the member isn't assigned govt quarters at the PDS.

In general, AF doesn't care how many homes you own, or where they are. They have to provide you quarters where they station you, or pay you BAH at the rate where you are stationed. In your case, if you're on base w/family at UPT = no BAH. If you're at UPT on base w/o family = no BAH. There may be other entitlements, but BAH is pretty simple.

Hey Guys,

This would be the thread to ask the following questions, I appreciate your help, I've been trying to figure out if I am able to recieve BAH for my home while at UPT. Here are the following questions:

1. Is there a way to recieve BAH for my HOR at my guard unit?

2. Do they view going to UPT as a PCS(a change of PDS?) or a TDY?

3. I heard something about a BAH Exception Form from a guy at another guard unit. This form was for the purpose of recieving an exception to the BAH at UPT and recieve it for my HOR instead. Does this exist?

4. Where/what is the regulation that would allow this? I have been reading through all the regs here (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/trvlregs.html) but I don't understand all the finance regs well (only FARs and AFIs, lol).

Thanks for your help!

-Hardie9e

I don't have the reg to back it, but I know a UPT classmate of mine (guard guy), that lived in the dorms and received BAH for his house back home (the wifey lived there). Goodluck!

UPT is a PCS.

Edited by SocialD

Finance_Guy,

I have been trying to get some clarification on Rate Protection, and how it applies to the Guard/Reserve. The only section I see in the JFTR that you have quoted a few times in this thread is the following:

"U10004 BAH RATE PROTECTION

The monthly BAH amount actually paid a member (i.e., BAH Rate Protection) must not be reduced as a result of changes in housing costs in the MHA, changes in the national monthly housing cost, or a member’s promotion. If the member is demoted, or loses authorization for BAH, then the member’s BAH rate protection at the current amount ceases on the date the member’s eligibility to BAH for a given MHA terminates. The current BAH rate at the current duty location becomes the member’s new protected BAH rate."

So I guess I have two questions:

1) Does Rate Protection apply to Guard/Reserve members?

2) If so, what is the interpretation of someone who "loses authorization for BAH?" In other words, given the nature of how we in the Guard/Reserve continually come on and off active duty orders where we are entitled to BAH, does coming off those orders constitute losing authorization for BAH?

The story behind my question is that although I have been living in the same zip code for several years (and paying the same mortgage payment), my BAH has dropped twice in the past two years. During that time, I have deployed twice and have done several months of miscellaneous active duty, thus coming on and off a status that pays me full BAH. Thanks.

I posted this question on another thread but no one answered it so I figured I would move it here as this seems to be the more appropriate thread for this topic anyway. I will soon be going to AMS/UPT for an ANG unit. If I own a house (my HOR) while I am at AMS/UPT I will get BAH for my zip? I will be married and am planning/hoping to live on base with my wife. I am a bit confused by some conflicting posts on this thread regarding this topic. I was under the impression that even though I own a home, during AMS/UPT I would not get BAH because I would be living on base.

Reserve or Active Duty? Also depends on if dependents are authorized to PCS with you to UPT. Many variables to BAH to list and just what you have said isn't really enough to go on. Most reserve orders will spell it out. If you are reserve then ask your RPO. If active then if dependents are on orders to travel, you typically don't get BAH rate back home unless you apply for a waiver. Generally BAH is paid for the rate of the PDS you are assigned, not where dependents are located. But again, you can apply for a waiver when attending schools or PMEs as a PCS.

The story behind my question is that although I have been living in the same zip code for several years (and paying the same mortgage payment), my BAH has dropped twice in the past two years. During that time, I have deployed twice and have done several months of miscellaneous active duty, thus coming on and off a status that pays me full BAH. Thanks.

I know of no separate application of rate protection for reservists. I would suspect if you are not on a continuous active duty period the the protection would not apply. I'd recommend you ask your RPO since they should be most familiar with it. Basically for Active, they won't receive less than already getting due to a rate change or promotion. But if a Member PCSs or has other status changes, they normally are no longer rate protected.

• 9 months later...

Ok, I'm a Guard guy. Sorry if this belongs in the ANG section, but its really a finance question.

What happens when we PCS for UPT/UNT for the one year of training, but have a home we are still paying a mortgage on? If it was a TDY, you'd still get your BAH for your house and a roof over your head (hotel, crash pad, etc), but I know PCS's are different.

I live on base with my wife, so my BAH here is history, and the mortgage back home is coming out of my pocket. Kind of a drag. Are you expected to sell your house and a year later post training, buy another one? Or am I missing something? Thanks guys.

PCS is a PCS man.

I think what you are describing above is one of the inherent risks of military members purchasing homes. It is not the government's responsibility to cover our mortgage when BAH is derived off of suitable rental rates in your area. Make sense?

I think the only way to swing what you are suggesting would have been for you to be on unaccompanied orders to UPT. You would be getting BAH for where your wife was, and you would be living in the UPT dorms. I have not ever heard of that occurring though.

I think that's where you do your best to rent your house out and recoup what you can.

Ask some of the other guard pilots from your unit what they did. You're not the first guy in that situation from your unit. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. You're probably right, I'm definitely not the first to have this happen. My wife is here with me, so its too late to be "separated" according to my orders.

Luckily I'm still staying afloat being a prior and not right out of AMS/OTS with <2 years of service. I can't imagine being someone that owns a house in NYC or another high BAH area and owning a place.

If anyone else has any insight, would love to hear it but at this point, it appears to be what it is. :bash:

Alternatively, you could move off base into something cheaper than whatever your current BAH is and apply the difference to your mortgage. However, the UPT bases tend to be in low BAH areas so you probably aren't looking at making too much $$$ doing this. You could always buy an RV and live in the camp on base, but if your wife is like most wives that probably isn't a feasible COA either.

Alternatively, you could move off base into something cheaper than whatever your current BAH is and apply the difference to your mortgage. However, the UPT bases tend to be in low BAH areas so you probably aren't looking at making too much $$$ doing this. You could always buy an RV and live in the camp on base, but if your wife is like most wives that probably isn't a feasible COA either.

Just to note, I'm at Nav school, not UPT. Not like it really matters when it comes to finance questions. However, don't want to be the next guy that claims he's a pilot and really isn't :nob:

Moving off base might save me a few hundred bucks but after utilities, its kind of a wash, unfortunately. I've looked, no dice.

RVing, like you said, is an excellent option, but the wife isn't going to let that happen. She is stir crazy enough looking for a job and laying around most the day in our house. Can you imagine doing the same thing in an RV? FML.

RV is what I'm thinking about doing at the Rock though, when I'm TDY and doing it alone. You bring up an interesting question though... if I stayed in an RV on base during a TDY instead of the hotel, would you still receive per diem and the cost of the RV spot covered as if it were a hotel?

Thanks again for the responses guys.

Edited by LoadClear

You'd get your per diem (meals and incidentals) and whatever it cost you to keep your RV on base (parking, electric, not sure about the rest). Interest/RV payment? Probably not. So if you've got a big pimpin' RV that's better than a hotel room, it might be a better deal. But they're still only going to pay you $.50/mile or whatever to get it there.

• 3 weeks later...

Searched the forum and scrubbed this thread for an answer to no avail.

PCS'd with a 3 month enroute TDY: when does BAH swap from old to new duty station?

-wife and kids went VFR direct the day before I was final out from old PDS, so they were at the new PDS the whole time.

Anyone know where this is spelled out in the reg?

Its about $250 difference btw old and new, so it's a significant difference one way or the other.

PCS'd with a 3 month enroute TDY: when does BAH swap from old to new duty station?

-wife and kids went VFR direct the day before I was final out from old PDS, so they were at the new PDS the whole time.

BAH swaps when you get to the new duty station - it doesn't matter when your dependents get there. I tried to do a quick scan of the JFTR and couldn't find supporting evidence, but I'm sure Finance Guy can recall the source verbatim.

Anyone know where this is spelled out in the reg?

Its about $250 difference btw old and new, so it's a significant difference one way or the other.

Concur, new one takes over the day you sign in to your new base. It will take a month for it to catch up, so be prepared to have a paycheck with a chunk taken out to correct (if it is lower at the new base, just watch your statements). If you did not know, you might qualify for Family separation pay ($250?/month), payable after 30 days separated. If you in process with PIPS, I think there is an option to claim FSA.

...and take advantage of a partial dity if you have not done so already (even if it is 100# in your little honda), you should get paid to make 3 individual ditys (to you enroute, then to your new base, and again for your old to new). You should be able to set it up even if you are already at the enroute location.

I PCS'd a year about a year ago with a TDY enroute and agree with the above.

I will caution you on the DITY (or PPM or whatever it is now) to your TDY location. You can only take 600 pounds plus pro gear TDY. I took a whole trailer with me and didn't get paid for the excess.

I PCS'd a year about a year ago with a TDY enroute and agree with the above.

I will caution you on the DITY (or PPM or whatever it is now) to your TDY location. You can only take 600 pounds plus pro gear TDY. I took a whole trailer with me and didn't get paid for the excess.

True, but I thought it was 800#? Also, TMO told me the 800# is above your normal weight limit... so if you are close to going over it is better to be paid something, rather than paying them something for going over. I usually have a lot of pro-gear books that I have to move that it makes it worth while.

All: thanks for the replies. In this case, it's ~$750 not in my favor.

The tribe had to beat feet to the new PDS (higher BAH) to start work/school. I might still PM FG for the reference, but if the situation were reversed, I would be basking in the $ and be happy about it. Oh well, at least I get FSA, so its a wash.

DITY: check! on that note,

schokie: sounds like TMO fucked up your claim. Royally. I did mine and filed 3 vouchers:

-Full weight: Old PDS-->New PDS

-TDY weight (600#): Old PDS-->TDY

-TDY weight: TDY-->New PDS

TMO math is a little hocus-pocus, but I ended up getting a better reimbursement per pound for the TDY legs than I did for the full weight leg, although the main leg was still the bulk of the claim.

Standard DITY caveats apply: reimbursed amount minus claimed expenses (gas, weight tix, tolls, oil changes) taxed @28%

All: thanks for the replies. In this case, it's ~$750 not in my favor.

The tribe had to beat feet to the new PDS (higher BAH) to start work/school. I might still PM FG for the reference, but if the situation were reversed, I would be basking in the $ and be happy about it. Oh well, at least I get FSA, so its a wash.

Check JFTR Chapter 10 for BAH Waivers. If it is for DEPs to stay in school or go ahead to enroll in school you have a good chance. All you need is your letter of explanation/justification while you are TDY enroute along with a copy of your orders. Finance (Or FSS Outbound) forwards up to MAJCOM who then sends to AF/A1PA for approval. Just saw one last week get approved for a guy who left deps back at old station to finish school. Ask and you may receive.

Edited by Finance_Guy

As usual, solid words from FG.

Thanks!

Thanks. Even better. At work today I found the AF/A1PA basic guide which has more info and sample letters. This one is definitely a keeper.

Later.

AF_A1PA_Guidance for the Field.doc

• 1 year later...

Thread revival.

I'm getting ready to attend a 2-3 month training school TDY enroute during a PCS from an overseas base. I know my OHA and COLA go away, but I've read that there's a generic BAH rate (BAH RC or non-locality BAH?) that I would get until I show up at my new base. Any true to this, anyone have any experience with this?

Do you have a family? Where will they be? You can have a "Dependents Remaining Overseas Memorandum" when you have a TDY enroute and that allows you to get OHA and COLA for the three months you are away.

Edited by one

Do you have a family? Where will they be? You can have a "Dependents Remaining Overseas Memorandum" when you have a TDY enroute and that allows you to get OHA and COLA for the three months you are away.

I do have a wife but since this is part of a PCS she'll be with me at my training location.

This is what Finance told me when I was in a similar situation. I could have my dependents stay overseas and get BAH and COLA or I could get the BAH for my next duty station and have my family move CONUS.

I am sure Finance guy has better info but those were the options they gave me. I chose to have my family stay overseas because it would give us an extra few thousand dollars...and my wife wanted to stay in Hawaii for a little longer.