Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Visit from Aircrew Retention Taskforce happened this past week.
Here's the latest:

3. Aviation pay cap has increased to $1500 and the structure for receiving it is changing quite a bit. It is incentivizing upgrades by paying the most to evaluators and the least to copilots. But if you for example FAIP and are immediately an instructor you will receive more pay right of the bat and don't lose it once you change your airframe. This is nice so you never have to start over and it incentivizes FAIPing.

4. They are also looking to pay school house instructors more than line instructors to incentivize going to AETC for a tour.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Baseops Network mobile app

Interesting

I applaud them for at least recognizing that you should incentivize additional quals. I mean, I don’t know how much it will help but it’s warranted.

The cynic in me will believe it when I see it.

The cynic in me also remembers when they raised the flight pay back around 2015-2016 and we were all erroneously paid for years due to the inability to update the antiquated DOS based mil pay system to properly calculate it.

Now we are going to not only have different amounts due to years of aviation service as well as different qualifications…yeah that won’t get screwed up at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

Interesting

I applaud them for at least recognizing that you should incentivize additional quals. I mean, I don’t know how much it will help but it’s warranted.

The cynic in me will believe it when I see it.

The cynic in me also remembers when they raised the flight pay back around 2015-2016 and we were all erroneously paid for years due to the inability to update the antiquated DOS based mil pay system to properly calculate it.

Now we are going to not only have different amounts due to years of aviation service as well as different qualifications…yeah that won’t get screwed up at all.

LOL, I thought of the exact same thing.  I think I was told in 2018 that they'd correct our flight pay when they roll out the new pay system 2020 (near future?)!  Well, here it is 2023 and it's still not active.  Near future must have a different meaning to them.  

BTW, has this years Guard bonus come out yet?  What's the status on DSG's getting full flight pay?  The part timer bonus that was available to like 6.9 people in the entire ANG. Cynicism is hard to get past when you've seen a career of their bullshit promises.  Take everything with a massive grain of salt.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1

I don't see the implementation of graduated rates for flight pay (other than longevity) being anything but an unmitigated quagmire, replete with perverse incentives and unsavory second tier effects, to say nothing of the admin clusterfok @SocialD already alluded to.  200-500 taxable dollars hardly seems worth the thought.

• Upvote 1

I know some are adverse to facts...however, the $25,000 was established sometime in the early 90's (best I can tell).  Congrats, they basically finally adjusted for inflation...for the first year of the 10 you'll be receiving it.  Have fun with your AFPAK HANDS 2.0 assignment when they create it.  Good work, great incentive.

P.S.  Don't take the bonus.

image.thumb.png.6b2a50bc92e3a316f301548bede6ecd3.png

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Edited by FourFans
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 9:46 AM, Fly4five said:

3. Aviation pay cap has increased to $1500 and the structure for receiving it is changing quite a bit. It is incentivizing upgrades by paying the most to evaluators and the least to copilots. But if you for example FAIP and are immediately an instructor you will receive more pay right of the bat and don't lose it once you change your airframe. This is nice so you never have to start over and it incentivizes FAIPing.
4. They are also looking to pay school house instructors more than line instructors to incentivize going to AETC for a tour.
5. Special Pay is also something being considered for WIC, TPS, AIC, AIS). Nothing final for this but it is something they are considering.

There is ZERO WAY the implementation of this is not completely fucked up like a football bat.  

There is ZERO WAY the implementation of this is not completely ed up like a football bat.  

Agreed. They won’t consider everything, like current qual vs highest qual (AC/IP does a Phoenix whatever and has to restart as an FP) vs highest qual effectively held (example: short stint as an EP in MWS, PCS to another base and they revert you to IP). Also, it’s going to make for a lot of brown-nosing the CC to get that higher qual (and pay) and presumably IG complaints when the CC stiffs someone, justifiably or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Agreed. They won’t consider everything, like current qual vs highest qual (AC/IP does a Phoenix whatever and has to restart as an FP) vs highest qual effectively held (example: short stint as an EP in MWS, PCS to another base and they revert you to IP). Also, it’s going to make for a lot of brown-nosing the CC to get that higher qual (and pay) and presumably IG complaints when the CC stiffs someone, justifiably or not.

Not to mention forced re-tread/re-Classificaton into non-flying assignments not by choice (i.e. flying eligibile, except needs of the AF re-tread...like some CV-22 SMAs are experiencing now)

3 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

There is ZERO WAY the implementation of this is not completely fucked up like a football bat.  

I actually think a football bat is more likely to succeed, with fewer fuckups, than this bonus proposition.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe they should implement something so the pigeon types (don’t fly unless you throw rocks at them) don’t get full flight pay? Or if you suck, you don’t get full pay. Encourage people to actually study and get good instead of putting all your time and effort into admin and email forwarding. 

5 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Maybe they should implement something so the pigeon types (don’t fly unless you throw rocks at them) don’t get full flight pay? Or if you suck, you don’t get full pay. Encourage people to actually study and get good instead of putting all your time and effort into admin and email forwarding. 

Oooh your idea could easily flip into qualify DEI = full flight pay, why, because it makes no sense for such a turn which is actually more plausible in the AF

Special pay for extra quals would be pretty easily tied to your AFSC prefix, W-, Q-, K-, S-, etc. If they want to pay FTU instructors more, make up a new code for that. Easy.

In fact, add B- and C- code special pay and it’ll start to make a lot more sense. Taking on commander duties deserves a lot more cash than being a line Lt Col.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Special pay for extra quals would be pretty easily tied to your AFSC prefix, W-, Q-, K-, S-, etc. If they want to pay FTU instructors more, make up a new code for that. Easy.
In fact, add B- and C- code special pay and it’ll start to make a lot more sense. Taking on commander duties deserves a lot more cash than being a line Lt Col.

Now you’re on to something.

I would never want to see someone take a command position strictly for the money, but you are 100% correct in your thought that the SQ/CC has way more on their plate than your run of the mill “LC AC in the KC” as we called them in the tanker world.

On 3/28/2023 at 1:20 AM, Majestik Møøse said:

DO's need incentive pay, IMO. The CC at least has a chance at promotion and is their because they want to be (most of the time). The DO is probably in that position against their will, has limited promotion potential, and is getting the same amount of crap as the CC...just one is ops and the other is people.

Edit: And I am not even a DO. 😇

Edited by StoleIt
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 11:20 PM, Majestik Møøse said:

Why would they incentivize CC when there is already a line of officers eager to deep throat big blue by applying for wing exec, GOFO exec, and aide de camp jobs? Seems like the incentive is already there.  And most (not all) take the CC job for a shot at full bird which comes with a lot more pay than O4 to O5.

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2023 at 3:52 PM, FourFans said:

I know some are adverse to facts...however, the $25,000 was established sometime in the early 90's (best I can tell).  Congrats, they basically finally adjusted for inflation...for the first year of the 10 you'll be receiving it.  Have fun with your AFPAK HANDS 2.0 assignment when they create it.  Good work, great incentive.

P.S.  Don't take the bonus.

image.thumb.png.6b2a50bc92e3a316f301548bede6ecd3.png

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Gaslighting

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Guardian said:

And active duty thinks this is a good idea?

I think it is from their perspective. They entice people to sign a year or two before the average person realizes AD sucks balls compared to the ARC, airlines, etc. (for many people, not all of course). Now as those people approach their 10 yr point and realize their mistake, it’ll be too late. Many of those people will probably just resign themselves to 20 years. It’s a good idea from the AD perspective. Hopefully those O-3s at 6-9 years of service don’t have low SA and fall for the trap.  

25 minutes ago, General Chang said:

Gaslighting

How...? BoP? Or the mathematics of inflation? 

Compare these two sources and stories and what they say, which are from the USAF:

https://m.facebook.com/AirForcePersonnelCenter/photos/a.399299226864/10155160716116865/?type=3

2017 - Volunteer! ...then a mere 3 or 4 years later...cannot provide what we promoted - terminate midstream!!

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-force-ending-program-for-career-airmen-to-apply-for-preferred-bases/

...ultimately, what makes this round of BoP promises, with AvB, different? And if the assignment isn't to a base with your MWS did you just volunteer not to fly?

• Upvote 1