Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

1 hour ago, Ryder1587 said:

Basic pay is being cut ?   Wut?

Effective pay cut = present inflation - pay raise

Edited by Swizzle
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2022/consumer-prices-up-9-1-percent-over-the-year-ended-june-2022-largest-increase-in-40-years.htm
  • Upvote 1

2.7 last year and 4.6 this year.... FTX-peddling Jesus, that's a two year stuffing up the six. Good thing the wife re-joined the skilled workforce earlier in the year, that's about the only way I'm "keeping up" with inflation these days.

Groceries/sundries are circa +25% annualized YoY for me. I checked with the Amex over 12 months revolving, couldn't believe it at first. The other part that sucks is that there's no way I can ever afford to move. 2.25% fixed... means I'm gonna die in this copy/paste suburban tract shitbox, cuz housing left the affordable station behind where my W-2 is still navel-gazing like a CR washout fucko awaiting adsep. 😄 

Bonus don't affect my retirement cashflow; basic rates being shorted like this otoh, fundamentally does. Just like in the airlines, soft pay potato is such a red herring it ain't even funny. 

Edited by hindsight2020
grammerz
  • Like 1

The incentive bonus is not applicable to guard and reserve pilots: 

Reference page 537:

(b) RATED OFFICERS DESCRIBED.—Rated officers described in this subsection are rated officers serving on active duty in the Air Force, excluding rated officers with a reserve appointment in the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve

IN GENERAL.—Under the demonstration program required under subsection (a), the Secretary shall offer retention incentives under subsection (d) to a rated officer described in subsection (b) who executes a written agreement to remain on active duty in a regular component of the Air Force...

AVIATION BONUS.—Under the demonstration program required under subsection (a) not withstanding section 334(c) of title 37, United States Code, the Secretary may pay to a rated officer described in subsection (b) an aviation bonus not to exceed an average annual amount of $50,000 (subject to paragraph (3)(B)).

Edited by Bauwse
mispelling

22 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Budget passed the senate. We’ll see what HAF decides for ACP offerings…

Logically, they should just keep the separated tiers as is and just increase them all by $500 each, but that would make too much sense so Big AF will likely only do aa "targeted study" of increased ACP this year to see if it makes sense for the entire rated force.😄 Just like the nonsense they have planned with the new $50K bonus. Over a decade of surveys and a Rand study and they still need to "trial" if they should just increase the bonus to $50K. Morons.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:17 PM, Bauwse said:

The incentive bonus is not applicable to guard and reserve pilot

ANG and RES develop their own bonuses separate from AD, and each other, every year. They almost always match or exceed the AD bonus…at least in the last 6 years of my experience. 

5 hours ago, brabus said:

ANG and RES develop their own bonuses separate from AD, and each other, every year. They almost always match or exceed the AD bonus…at least in the last 6 years of my experience. 

Yup. The provisions are tiered and wildly varying depending on the sub-group in question (ART, AGR, TR [DSG as you title32 poors call it 😄 ]). 

• 3 weeks later...

You can tell the lack of interest in retaining pilots by the lack of urgency in getting these PSDMs out. Like literally, every day, some dude or dudette is hitting their go/no-go decision point on hitting the punch out button, and they may be waiting to see what the bonus is like to stay in. As an 11R I would certainly not have risked staying if I knew a few days later there wouldn't be any bonus offered at all. Thankfully something that I didn't get caught by but know a few people that did.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2022 at 6:22 PM, nsplayr said:

Has there been any progress on seeing an entire month’s or flight pay for just attending drill for DSGs? I thought that was part of the last NDAA but maybe it was only talked about. I’ve been on full-time orders for a bit so I haven’t kept track super closely.

My going assumption is that it’s the law but DFAS somehow can’t execute it so…fuck us apparently 🤷‍♂️

The DoD was supposed to submit a report NLT Oct 1, 2023 on how they were going to implement the full flight pay raise.  They could try and get out of it if they could justify that raising guard/reserve flight pay to full pay was "detrimental to the force".  

They (DoD) basically ignored the requirement and didnt do the report.  The writers of that verbiage then called the DoD out for not submitting said report and the DoD asked for an extension.....that's the last I've heard of it...haven't had a chance to check and see if they tried to strip the language from FY23 NDAA.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/10/26/delay-incentive-pay-boost-guard-and-reserves-draws-rebuke-lawmakers.html 

On 1/3/2023 at 10:43 PM, viperdriver1313 said:

Word on the street was the bonus came out late today? Wanted to see if anyone knew anything because I haven’t seen anything.
Seems early..

dont kill the messenger 

There was a memo sent to commanders. Details are vague/no PDSM yet, but something about a demo program offering up to 50k a year for folks with a UFT ADSC expiring in 23/24/25. After FY 23 you don’t get the full amount if you decide later to sign a bonus.  You also get an “assignment of preference” The memo did say a PDSM may be released as early as Jan 23. 

No details on how long the bonus offerings will be, cutoff dates for when you need to sign to get the full amount, or the definition of “assignment of preference”  

8 hours ago, HeyWatchThis said:

The DoD was supposed to submit a report NLT Oct 1, 2023 on how they were going to implement the full flight pay raise.  They could try and get out of it if they could justify that raising guard/reserve flight pay to full pay was "detrimental to the force".  

They (DoD) basically ignored the requirement and didnt do the report.  The writers of that verbiage then called the DoD out for not submitting said report and the DoD asked for an extension.....that's the last I've heard of it...haven't had a chance to check and see if they tried to strip the language from FY23 NDAA.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/10/26/delay-incentive-pay-boost-guard-and-reserves-draws-rebuke-lawmakers.html 

Dude this kind of shit infuriates me. Congress passed a law, it's signed by the President, it directs the DoD to do X,Y, or Z. The DoD then fails to take any action, can't update AFIs in a timely fashion, provides vague or no business rule guidance or policy memos, and then just fucking gets away with it sometimes for YEARS. If I were a Congressman I would unscrew heads and start shitting down necks until the law was implemented.

This same thing has happened with the 2021 NDAA expanded baby leave on the Guard side. I've literally been told I (and quite a few other guys in my unit) fall into an "unfortunate Catch-22" that prevents us from taking the leave...it's shenanigans. We had babies (well, our wives did, thanks dear!), we earned the leave, but we can't take it, what kind of fuckery is that? Our local-level commanders are pissed and sympathetic, but they are hamstrung by MAJCOM and NGB nonners who are saying it can't be done.

An officer's job, IMHO, is to receive intent from his/her superiors all the way up to the NCA, and then apply his/her knowledge, skills, leadership, creativity and ingenuity in order to meet that intent with appropriate effects on the battlefield, however that is defined for your career field.

Somehow every single one (ok, to be fair, 99.69%) of our personnelists and finance officers seems to have missed that very important lesson from their commissioning source and subsequent PME. As a group, they are pedantic, lawyerly, miserly bean counter shoe clerks who treat every single dollar as if it's coming out of their own personal wallet and scour every single potentially beneficial personnel policy for loopholes and ways they can fuck people over rather than implementing the intent of the policy as written.

/rant off

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, brabus said:

So why don’t guys just not come to work for 2 weeks, no paperwork, nobody cares. Problem circumvented. 100% agree on your point though. 

Well the earned amount of leave under the new policy is 12 weeks for dads (all numbers here are dad-centric, no offense to the moms out there).

I am sympathetic to commanders that say that is much harder to swallow than 10 days (my first baby) or 3 weeks (recent policy) that previous AFIs have directed, that’s valid.

BUT, the law says 12 weeks and active duty has done it fairly seamlessly from what I’ve heard so #NoExcuses.

We can’t just fail to follow the law because it’s inconvenient, and if the bean counters need to add slightly more days/dollars to the unit funding algorithm to account for this change in the law, so be it, make the change and move on. There’s already a buffer built in for illness/injury, bereavement leave, personal leave that accrues and is taken, and the old baby leave policy.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

Do you have to be married to take the 12 weeks of baby leave?  If not, you could go to your favorite SE Asian country,  Eastern Europe, Colombia and etc..to raw dog some chicks a few times a year.  Have them popping out kids like a factory, getting a few extra months off a year.  Dudes like Nick Cannon, with 12 kids, would have a lot of time to relax on Uncle Sugar's dime.  The secret is not having the babies in the US.  That way you can avoid child support.    

You can use the bonus to help pay for all of the travel costs.  Lol

48 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

If not, you could go to your favorite SE Asian country,  Eastern Europe, Colombia and etc..to raw dog some chicks a few times a year. 

Not only do you get a new kid, but an exciting new STD! It’s a win-win?

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

To be honest, now that Biff_T mentions it, they may need to amend this policy to not apply to load masters. 

19 minutes ago, mcbush said:

STS

😆 🤣 😂 

4 hours ago, Bigred said:

Not only do you get a new kid, but an exciting new STD! It’s a win-win?

Some people are into pain for pleasure.