Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

Just wait until the advanced training ADSC comes back within the year. They fixed the glitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Wait...Seriously? Is that really a COA they are pursuing or is this speculation/sarcasm?

I know a lot of different programs are bringing back ADSC's (TPS, WIC, 89th, etc) but that's the first I've heard of upgrades.

47 minutes ago, StoleIt said:

Wait...Seriously? Is that really a COA they are pursuing or is this speculation/sarcasm?

I know a lot of different programs are bringing back ADSC's (TPS, WIC, 89th, etc) but that's the first I've heard of upgrades.

It's sarcasm.

Although big Air Force did try this, what, 5-6 years ago? It lasted all of a week I think. Once the reg was published, pilots adamantly refused to accept ADSC for upgrade. Once Big AF realized the pilots called their bluff, they relented.

Who knows, though.  The Generals/Colonels who champion keeping pilots have proven time and time again what utterly clueless morons they are, so I guess it wouldn't really surprise me if they tried it again.

Edited by Hunter Rose

4 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

So, treat your ADSC contract like you work for the best paid regional airline, and a lot of this lamenting is self-limiting. If you pursue an extension of your one-sided contract, do so with eyes wide open. And to be clear, there are reasons why it's ok to be a "regional lifer" (ask me how I know). No right or wrong answer, only the right or wrong answer for each individual and /or dependent family.

So what is life like for a regional airline pilot?  Asking for a friend...

12 hours ago, SocialD said:

But seriously, in this scenario, are we just leaving fuel trucks in the middle of nowhere with noone around?

...you might be surprised what really happens these days...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

It's sarcasm.

Although big Air Force did try this, what, 5-6 years ago? It lasted all of a week I think. Once the reg was published, pilots adamantly refused to accept ADSC for upgrade. Once Big AF realized the pilots called their bluff, they relented.

Who knows, though.  The Generals/Colonels who champion keeping pilots have proven time and time again what utterly clueless morons they are, so I guess it wouldn't really surprise me if they tried it again.

Copy.

What's scary is it seems like a realistic thing the brass would try.

Given they’re doubling down on producing rather than retaining to solve the shortage, I doubt we’ll see any improvements to the bonus. With Afghanistan over, I could also see them adjusting MAF crew ratios again to “help” our manning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you seen the new primary pilot training syllabus? Hard to say we’re “doubling down on producing”. Taking a good stab at halving it…

Should be a good product for the CAF (which maintains their T-38 training), pretty unclear for the MAF…though I’m sure quality will suffice.

Keep an eye on the primary production numbers. The next few year groups are going to benefit from some Cold War style ops tempos!

~Bendy

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

Have you seen the new primary pilot training syllabus? Hard to say we’re “doubling down on producing”. Taking a good stab at halving it…

Should be a good product for the CAF (which maintains their T-38 training), pretty unclear for the MAF…though I’m sure quality will suffice.

Keep an eye on the primary production numbers. The next few year groups are going to benefit from some Cold War style ops tempos!

~Bendy

I meant production in numbers, not quality. They’ve slashed the T-1 syllabus, haven’t seen the -38 one.

16 hours ago, Bender said:

~Bendy

What are the big changes in the new syllabus (especially for the T-1 MAF/AFSOC tracked guys)?  In the 2.5 years I've been back flying from staff, my community has seemed to win the co-pilot lottery (most of the new guys have been average to above average).  We've also gotten more than the average amount of T-38 guys than I've usually seen.  A couple folks I know on the AETC side of the house have been foretelling this coming wave of drastically less capable pilots coming out of the pipeline but I haven't personally seen it yet.

Edited by DirkDiggler
Additional question

What are the big changes in the new syllabus (especially for the T-1 MAF/AFSOC tracked guys)?  In the 2.5 years I've been back flying from staff, my community has seemed to win the co-pilot lottery (most of the new guys have been average to above average).  We've also gotten more than the average amount of T-38 guys than I've usually seen.  A couple folks I know on the AETC side of the house have been foretelling this coming wave of drastically less capable pilots coming out of the pipeline but I haven't personally seen it yet.

Don’t have the syllabus in front of me, but IIRC it’s less than 50 hours in the T-1 for the MAF Fundamentals Flight course. That will eventually give way to MAF Fundamentals Sim when they divest the T-1. In both cases, a lot of focus on AR/AD/LL.

2 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

....a lot of focus on AR/AD/LL.

Good.  It's about time we stop hammer home the importance of a perfectly flown VOR-A instead of focusing on the employment end of the stick.  Glad to hear that's happening earlier in the program.  

Students are universal in this: They will meet whatever bar we set.

• Upvote 1

Good.  It's about time we stop hammer home the importance of a perfectly flown VOR-A instead of focusing on the employment end of the stick.  Glad to hear that's happening earlier in the program.  

Yeah LL and AD are so much more pertinent to ACC heavies, C-5s and Tankers.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

In this training climate, it's a swing and a MIF! Regardless of a hit or RBI or goal! 

kindergartenSoccer.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

I'm glad it hasn't hit heavies as bad, but I have seen it in fighters.  While most of the young guys seem to be capable mentally and eager to learn, they just haven't had the reps to get the depth of training that guys of my generation had.  Many young pilots are showing up the squadron with literally half the flight hours that I had at the same career point.  The training has simply shifted to the CAF, which just hasn't had the time with the ops tempo that most of us approaching retirement have known for our entire career.  So you end up with CAF IPs (who generally have less experience and specifically less experience teaching the most basic blocking and tackling) filling in where the B-course has left off.  Not a knock on either the students or the IPs, they are just being set up to struggle through it and hopefully not fail.  If you have safety access, go look up the Class A from Shaw a year or two ago and tell me that those guys were not set up and it cost the student his life.

56 minutes ago, Smokin said:

If you have safety access, go look up the Class A from Shaw a year or two ago and tell me that those guys were not set up and it cost the student his life.

Serious question: are there any ejection-capable fighter or trainer aircraft in our inventory that recommend a landing with single MLG unsafe?

If you don’t have safety access, the AIB gives much of what you may need. I realize there are different seats, but one of the most important parts of this mishap (to me) is the failure of the seat. I think far too many people make go/no-go decisions without consideration for seat failure. I have seen people take too much unnecessary risk with a blind assumption that the seat will get them out of a bad spot if things go too far south.

• Like 1

Serious question: are there any ejection-capable fighter or trainer aircraft in our inventory that recommend a landing with single MLG unsafe?

T-6A dash-1 recommended it, though I've been out of that jet for a few years. Only time ejection was recommended for gear malfunctions was nose gear only extended. But the T-6 would be touching down much slower than a fighter, and probably would be around 50-60 knots before that wingtip starts dragging on the runway.

I think far too many people make go/no-go decisions without consideration for seat failure. I have seen people take too much unnecessary risk with a blind assumption that the seat will get them out of a bad spot if things go too far south.

Agreed, especially in training environments.

13 hours ago, Smokin said:

I'm glad it hasn't hit heavies as bad, but I have seen it in fighters.  While most of the young guys seem to be capable mentally and eager to learn, they just haven't had the reps to get the depth of training that guys of my generation had.  Many young pilots are showing up the squadron with literally half the flight hours that I had at the same career point.  The training has simply shifted to the CAF, which just hasn't had the time with the ops tempo that most of us approaching retirement have known for our entire career.  So you end up with CAF IPs (who generally have less experience and specifically less experience teaching the most basic blocking and tackling) filling in where the B-course has left off.  Not a knock on either the students or the IPs, they are just being set up to struggle through it and hopefully not fail.  If you have safety access, go look up the Class A from Shaw a year or two ago and tell me that those guys were not set up and it cost the student his life.

Don't mean to derail this thread but this topic is something that interests and affects me.

While I haven't seen a decrease in the quality of the UPT product, our community has gotten much, much younger in all positions, to include IPs (instructors in all crew positions really).  In some ways this is a positive, since previously the time to upgrade to IP in AFSOC was sometimes excessive/out of whack with other communities.  And honestly there's some high speed dudes that have both benefited from it and had good return on investment to the guys on the line.  In other ways I think it's been a negative.  In the last 3 years I've heard more incorrect/poorly considered techniques and sometimes downright wrong concepts/tactics than in my previous 15 years.  I also think that the ops tempo, as you discussed, has led to a serious reduction in the amount of time IPs have to spend with new copilots.  Finally, I think the airline hiring spree is about to crush the MC community.  The AF got a reprieve for 18 months in the form of COVID, but now I'm seeing a large chunk of the O-4 IP/EP 2-3,000 hour guys either punching or on the verge of doing so. 

I've read/been presented the Shaw Class A.  It was a tough read, especially as a senior IP.  I wholeheartedly agree with your point about FTU instruction versus line instruction; the two just aren't the same.  It's not cosmic, but how a line IP approaches student training versus an FTU IP is just a different mentality (and sometime skill set) that I didn't fully appreciate until I was an FTU IP. 

I'm absolutely not against improving/modernizing our UPT syllabus, but I'm of the personal opinion that actual hours in the airplane CANNOT be replicated, regardless of the level of technology present in whatever training device is being used.

Back on topic, think the AF will bump the bonus back up to $35K this year? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I would think that a ten year old could look at the available data with airline hiring and the lower production than desired and realize that a maximum bonus would be the only sensible decision.  But, if the AF made sensible decisions all the time, then the bonus wouldn't be as vital to keeping people in anyway...

• Upvote 1

Maybe? Anecdotal of course, but in my herk experience, I’ve seen probably too many C-130 dudes screw up a VOR-A on local training rides.

My scariest moments in the MAF were never on the employment end of stick either…but always in admin phases of flight. Particularly departures, recoveries, and approaches with poor airmanship on display in the formation.

It’s tempting to focus on employment, sure. But successful employment requires some building blocks that you just have to get from reps attempting to fly that perfect VOR-A in UPT.

Your final point is dead on. Set the bar high in UPT, keep the bar high in the ops world. Students will meet it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Because I haven't said it in a while...

I hereby reword my normal perennial statement: "Don't take the bonus!"

It now reads: Take the bonus.  The signing bonus from every airline hiring right now.

Seriously.  If money is a factor.  Leave right now.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:19 PM, Dapper Dan Man said:

Maybe? Anecdotal of course, but in my herk experience, I’ve seen probably too many C-130 dudes screw up a VOR-A on local training rides.

My scariest moments in the MAF were never on the employment end of stick either…but always in admin phases of flight. Particularly departures, recoveries, and approaches with poor airmanship on display in the formation.

It’s tempting to focus on employment, sure. But successful employment requires some building blocks that you just have to get from reps attempting to fly that perfect VOR-A in UPT.

Your final point is dead on. Set the bar high in UPT, keep the bar high in the ops world. Students will meet it.

Yeah, hand flying full procedure raw navaid approaches in the weather, to mins, then doing the missed approach is perhaps one of the most dynamic hands-and-feet exercises you can do while simultaneously receiving instant and precise feedback from the same navaids. 

If someone can't see how the ability translates directly to nearly every other aviation activity, maybe they were never that good at it. But it still translates, and at a very low price compared to the alternatives.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1