Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

55 minutes ago, pawnman said:

If the only people taking the bonus are the ones who would stay anyway... why would the Air Force keep it? 

Retention could tank even further.  I think it is a false assumption that those 30% were staying anyway.  The IDE, Staff, DO, SQ/CC, School, Staff hustle to stay Tier 1 and survive until 20 years becomes A LOT less appealing if you pay them $245,000 or more less...

• Upvote 1

I don't think I would have gambled a 3 year ADSC extension (because of COVID) if it wasn't for the extra bonus money. I probably would have taken the ART job or DSG options I had. I sure do regret not taking the ART now!

Granted, I'm also not the main consumer the bonus is being marketed to. The AF really wants people to stay til 20, thus why they dropped the shorter term bonus.

Better question, with the rate the airlines are going to higher...can the AF take a risk messing with the bonus any more just to find out if that 30% would stay regardless? I mean...what if it drops to 10%? Are they prepared to basically gut an entire FY of officers?

The bonus does matter. Imagine the line pilot working 14 hour days making the same plus measly flight pay as the shoe clerk that barely works.

I’d cut the bonus and make flight pay $1k at UPT and then rise $250 a year to $4k.

We’d get better UPT candidates I bet and better retention.

20 minutes ago, di1630 said:

The bonus does matter. Imagine the line pilot working 14 hour days making the same plus measly flight pay as the shoe clerk that barely works.

I’d cut the bonus and make flight pay $1k at UPT and then rise $250 a year to $4k.

We’d get better UPT candidates I bet and better retention.

Maybe...but doesn't your scenario describe every pilot who doesn't take the bonus but stays on AD?  I'd be curious if retention rates match bonus take rates. I suspect they're not one-for-one.

13 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

Get ready for this kinda take rate being used as justification to kill the bonus altogether… I give it one more FY, tops. 

Makes a perfect compliment to the $300+B in cuts coming to the Pentagon… 

Rough roads ahead. 

Chuck

Great.  Maybe they’ll bring back early retirement.

Retention could tank even further.  I think it is a false assumption that those 30% were staying anyway.  The IDE, Staff, DO, SQ/CC, School, Staff hustle to stay Tier 1 and survive until 20 years becomes A LOT less appealing if you pay them $245,000 or more less...

Retention will tank further; every passing day proves it…I agree. I disagree about the 30%, they were at worst willing to stay. I also disagree it takes any of those thing listed to make it to 20 years.

That said, we’re in a bad way. Centralized Command, Decentralized Control, and the lower echelons of Command AND the highest levels of Control are both incentivized to just say yes, beyond reason.

It’s clear to those who can see it, at the highest and lowest levels.

It’s a great job (calling even) this AF pilot gig…it’s a horrible place to spend a career. Don’t ever think it’s the same for 20 years…be a pilot, serve your country, then choose for yourself if this is what you want. Most of us stay because we think others need help/protection. If no one cared about people, the take rate would round down to zero. IMO.

Don’t take the bonus unless you love/will love what you’re doing…to each their own.

~Bendy

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Scooter14 said:

Don’t tease me

Haha, I’m teasing myself.  I’m one of the guys who was getting out (hit submit on my apps Mar 15, Aug separation date).  I took the 3 year to see how things play out.  That would be my best case scenario.

That being said, I know better.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me a million times…

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:51 PM, Sprkt69 said:

I doubt it

Sadly, it's probably this. Why do anything positive to keep pilot retention? Congress gives ANOTHER billion to the modern nation-state Israel instead 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

With the fiscal year over, I was curious where the take rates ended up.  They were abysmal, as we all knew they would be.

Overall rated take rates for Initial Eligible folks was 42.5%, but that is artificially inflated primarily by higher take rates among CSOs and RPA pilots.

Fixed Wing Pilot initial take rate was 35.4%.

AFSC breakouts were as follows:

11B - 30%

11F - 29%

11M - 31%

11H - 56%

11S - 54%

Can't wait to see the spin if this gets any visibility in Congress.

3 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

With the fiscal year over, I was curious where the take rates ended up.  They were abysmal, as we all knew they would be.

Overall rated take rates for Initial Eligible folks was 42.5%, but that is artificially inflated primarily by higher take rates among CSOs and RPA pilots.

Fixed Wing Pilot initial take rate was 35.4%.

AFSC breakouts were as follows:

11B - 30%

11F - 29%

11M - 31%

11H - 56%

11S - 54%

Can't wait to see the spin if this gets any visibility in Congress.

Curious what was the 11H rotary-wing rate?

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, King Ranch said:

Any rumors on next year’s bonus?

Took a quick search through the 2022 NDAA and I found something to the effect of ‘extending special pay/bonuses’. So, it doesn’t look like the max will change. Now it’s up to the AF to decide how they want to spend it. 

• Like 1

We're looking at the highest inflationary environment in most of our lifetimes, big airline hiring at the beginning of a long term surge, and omicron likely signaling endemic C-19. All on the heels of a dramatically poor take rate last year.

You would think an adjustment to the contract offering would be a no-brainer...

but who knows, maybe we need to fail catastrophically before we change.

Edited by FlyingWolf