Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

3 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

They don’t have to let them x train to send them to UPT, which is still undermanned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assign everyone to Laughlin.  That should fix your "over manning" problem right quick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raimius said:

Assign everyone to Laughlin.  That should fix your "over manning" problem right quick.

Doesn't really work that way. Your core afsc doesn't change when you go to UPT. You are still an 11R on paper (and as it is, 11Rs are still filling a huge gap of UPT billets for the size community they are). 

So many of those manning overages on paper are pilots already assigned to UPT. Trust me, 11Rs have been filling their fair share of these for quite some time. Most recently to the detriment of the ops squadrons due to the AETC prohibition on AC waivers. 

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

Most recently to the detriment of the ops squadrons due to the AETC prohibition on AC waivers. 

Can you expand on this? Are you taking about the “must be an AC with x number of hours” rule required for crew aircraft pilots to qualify for PIT, or something else w.r.t AC waivers?

1 hour ago, Boomer6 said:

Can you expand on this? Are you taking about the “must be an AC with x number of hours” rule required for crew aircraft pilots to qualify for PIT, or something else w.r.t AC waivers?

Yeah I'm referring to the PIT waivers. Not the soul cause of problems, just a contributing factor. 

Anyway my overarching point is HAF/A1 rarely makes decisions that make any sense. Whether 11Rs are offered a VSP or not, I'm certain we are all going to be left jaw dropped wondering "why?" 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FLEA said:Anyway my overarching point is HAF/A1 rarely makes decisions that make any sense. Whether 11Rs are offered a VSP or not, I'm certain we are all going to be left jaw dropped wondering "why?" 

From a friend at HAF, pilots are also planned to be cut in the VSP/RIF as they are “nothing special”

The good news is that the airlines are starting to hire again

Does anyone remember how long you have to get our after accepting VSP? I can't remember if it's 6 months or until the end of the FY. 

6 months just seems like a firehose to seperate and removes the ability to get into programs like CSB. 

7 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

From a friend at HAF, pilots are also planned to be cut in the VSP/RIF as they are “nothing special”

The good news is that the airlines are starting to hire again

Good to see we've learned our lesson in the last 10 years.

How long until CSAF is testifying about a pilot shortage to Congress again?

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember how long you have to get our after accepting VSP? I can't remember if it's 6 months or until the end of the FY. 
6 months just seems like a firehose to seperate and removes the ability to get into programs like CSB. 

I think timelines vary with the specific VSP offering. I want to say 6 months is the lowest they can go (and maybe the individual can request a faster separation), but too lazy to look it up.

VSP and RIF both aim to reduce manning quickly (to make the budget).

Almost all the transition programs are a nice to have. The VSP/RIF payouts replaces those nice to have transition programs with cash.

TAP is the only program I can think of that's mandated, and there's always the GI Bill as well to help with transition to civilian life.

If you have a job lined up, have built a job transition money buffer, and are otherwise ready, six months is plenty.  If you just want out and are pulling the handle while hoping for the best, six months is pretty short if you have a family to feed.

Just now, Bode said:

If I take the bonus this year ($15k) and it jumps next year can I renegotiate or am I stuck with the current amount?

Current amount...with the rare exception if in the new/future bonus it allows you to sign the new one for more pay/longer time period.  Something like this happened for us that initially took the bonus in 2014.

3 hours ago, Bode said:

If I take the bonus this year ($15k) and it jumps next year can I renegotiate or am I stuck with the current amount?

Depends on how it’s written next year. In 2014 I signed the bonus for 5 years. In 2015 I was allowed to renegotiate to 20 YAS.  

Depends on how it’s written next year. In 2014 I signed the bonus for 5 years. In 2015 I was allowed to renegotiate to 20 YAS.  

IIRC, the “renegotiations” I was offered the last two years required a 3 year minimum extension (I already took it to 20), and only affected the $ amount for the tacked on years.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm referring to the PIT waivers. Not the soul cause of problems, just a contributing factor. 

I think experience requirement to teach in primary training is a good thing. Is it set correctly, I don’t know. Do I like them enforcing what they have, yes.

I don’t think we do a good enough job training our FAIPs for what we ask of them...which, in my opinion, is a lot.

Also, f&$k a VSP...I’d consider a TERA to help my country out of its shit sandwich, but I’ve sacrificed plenty already...

~Bendy

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

On 4/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, Bode said:

Any "renegotiation" will come with a longer commitment.  For example in 2015 I took a 5 year $25k bonus.  The next year I was offered a "renegotiation" option where the only option was up 20 YAS...which I flatly rejected.  Weight all options heavily. 

When you are committed, you lose all power of "no".  In the current environment, recognize that pilots are about to start abandoning ship again with airline hiring, leaving a massive hole in the population that is eligible for 180, 365, and non-desirable taskings to all AFSCs...and if you're committed, you have no say in the matter.  Make sure that little 1990's level bonus is really worth it to you.

If in doubt, don't take it and wait a year.

• Like 2

Any "renegotiation" will come with a longer commitment.  For example in 2015 I took a 5 year $25k bonus.  The next year I was offered a "renegotiation" option where the only option was up 20 YAS...which I flatly rejected.  Weight all options heavily. 
When you are committed, you lose all power of "no".  In the current environment, recognize that pilots are about to start abandoning ship again with airline hiring, leaving a massive hole in the population that is eligible for 180, 365, and non-desirable taskings to all AFSCs...and if you're committed, you have no say in the matter.  Make sure that little 1990's level bonus is really worth it to you.
If in doubt, don't take it and wait a year.

Waiting a year may help, or it may not. In my case, I was offered 30k a year (took 8 years, taking me to 20). Had I waited a year, I could have signed for 7 years at 35k, netting a total of 245K instead of 240, but with no lump sum payment option. I’ve easily made up that 5k difference with the interest earned on the lump. As they’re currently offering the max (35k) for most career fields and airframes and there’s no talk of increasing the bonus in Congress, waiting now is probably not going to be financially beneficial. That said, you can’t put a price on free agency (oh wait, didn’t that 2-star say there are no free agents?).

54 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

...waiting now is probably not going to be financially beneficial. That said, you can’t put a price on free agency (oh wait, didn’t that 2-star say there are no free agents?).

All true words.  I personally believe that senior USAF officials who want to maximize retention intentionally (if not consciously) hope to keep service members from understanding the real power of that word: "no" by trying to keep us focused on the money aspect, instead of the quality of life as a civilian, TR, or guardsman.

But even there they fail.  The 25k bonus from the 1990s should be a bare minimum of 37-40k to account for based on inflation alone.  It's a barehanded slap to our intelligence.

• Like 1

Well everyone's asking why they're offering such a shitty bonus, and the answer is because people are still taking it.  Why would they raise it when they can keep it low and still have plenty of takers?  Vote with your feet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, BADFNZ said:

Well everyone's asking why they're offering such a shitty bonus, and the answer is because people are still taking it.  Why would they raise it when they can keep it low and still have plenty of takers?  Vote with your feet.

Don't worry, I know lots of 11Rs not taking it.....

......what too soon? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Signed it after working my next assignment. I also didn’t have the hours at the time to be competitive for anything other than a regional, and I couldn’t stomach that pay cut.

I’m in a similar boat.  ‘Volunteer-esque’ options arose that I could tailor my next 2 flying assignments (or 3 if I really min-run my tour lengths) to work in my favor; mind you, my personal priorities may not mirror everyone else’s.  I also saw the Air Force’s stellar talent-management/COVID-flavored writing on the wall, and renegotiated the FY20 bonus in the last few weeks it was offered to work for my family and myself.

I flat out tell the younger guys and gals whom I work with that if I was maybe 1, but definitely 2-3 year groups later, I would be making different choices, but this worked out so that I can bend it to my benefit.

Edited by PAWS
  • Upvote 1