Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Finally got my CMS case (18 Jan 2018) for AvIP adjudicated. Despite the DFAS pay table showing $1K/mo available for over 10 years aviation service, DFAS abides by the Oct 2017 AF memo showing $700/mo. USAF is leaving $300/mo on the table when it could pay the $1K. No reason, just cause. 

DFAS updated the 2018 pay tables to reflect that services may elect to pay less. That statement wasn’t in the initial release from DFAS in early 2018. 

29 minutes ago, akang2006 said:

Finally got my CMS case (18 Jan 2018) for AvIP adjudicated. Despite the DFAS pay table showing $1K/mo available for over 10 years aviation service, DFAS abides by the Oct 2017 AF memo showing $700/mo. USAF is leaving $300/mo on the table when it could pay the $1K. No reason, just cause. 

DFAS updated the 2018 pay tables to reflect that services may elect to pay less. That statement wasn’t in the initial release from DFAS in early 2018. 

And if you're a DSG (even if you happen to be on orders), you're still being paid the old rate ($650 for me).  

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, akang2006 said:

AFRC has allegedly released their 2018 pilot bonus to include ARTs. Any word on ANG?

Funny....AD doesn't have one yet.  I know three '06 guys in my squadron alone that have already separated with never being offered a bonus once, with a fourth to separate soon.  '06 year group never got an early offer like the year groups before.  So, I guess retention is a high priority among those on high.  I know... I know... the bonus is a little more complicated than a wing king just throwing out money.  Or maybe, those even higher up realize those that will stay, will stay regardless of a bonus... so it doesn't really matter when they drop AD bonus?   

We’ve reached a point where th bonus isn’t offered until over halfway through the fiscal year. Absolutely unacceptable. I’ve heard it is because of the continuing resolutions but I think that’s a shallow excuse. No one could attach the bonuses to the military spending that has professed uninterrupted?

RUMINT/more than: The bonus/flight pay is going away and to be replaced with professional pay FY20 ala doctors.

VCSAF briefed it to UPT IPs at RND last Friday and the proposal was "approved" by SECAF the week prior, now it needs congressional approval.

The pay never deceases with TAFSC unlike flight pay. You keep it as long as youre a core 11x no matter what the billet. It's tied to industry compensation and the algorithm is ran yearly.  So if the economy tanks, the pay tanks. The example (separate from VCSAF) given was a major at the end of his UPT ADSC would be making around $6K PER Month additional right now.

Edited by LookieRookie
Clarified per month

RUMINT/more than: The bonus/flight pay is going away and to be replaced with professional pay FY20 ala doctors.
VCSAF briefed it to UPT IPs at RND last Friday and the proposal was "approved" by SECAF the week prior, now it needs congressional approval.
The pay never deceases with TAFSC unlike flight pay. You keep it as long as youre a core 11x no matter what the billet. It's tied to industry compensation and the algorithm is ran yearly.  So if the economy tanks, the pay tanks. The example (separate from VCSAF) given was a major at the end of his UPT ADSC would be making around $6K additional right now.

6k a year instead of 25-35k? What about those on the bonus?

On 4/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, akang2006 said:

AFRC has allegedly released their 2018 pilot bonus to include ARTs. Any word on ANG?

I don’t know about 2018 specifically but th ANG ART bonus has been a thing for over a year.  It can bump the higher step ARTS into senior FO at a major range.  I don’t think $200k+ is that difficult

Edited by matmacwc

It's tied to industry compensation and the algorithm is ran yearly.  So if the economy tanks, the pay tanks. The example (separate from VCSAF) given was a major at the end of his UPT ADSC would be making around $6K additional right now.

So what are they going to use for industry standard compensation? Include regional pay scales? ACMI pay scales? Pt 135? Different pays for crew qual?

I can just see it now- your (AMC pilot) pay is similar to Atlas Air, but you have a tax advantage with tax free months/BAH, and per diem, and a retirement plan, and medical, and you both pretty much do on demand cargo to pretty much the same places, soooo...

The pay never deceases with TAFSC unlike flight pay. You keep it as long as youre a core 11x no matter what the billet. It's tied to industry compensation and the algorithm is ran yearly.  So if the economy tanks, the pay tanks. The example (separate from VCSAF) given was a major at the end of his UPT ADSC would be making around $6K additional right now.

So they can take away what I’ve signed up for and my commitment is gone?

8 minutes ago, Skitzo said:

So they can take away what I’ve signed up for and my commitment is gone?

The question was asked if you've already signed up for the bonus do you keep the bonus and get the professional pay. The answer was, "Yes, you will get both." with a follow-up of "we know there's going to be a mutiny if we try and take the bonus money away from people so a small number of people will end up getting both." Or at least that what I heard from a guy that knows a guy..

4 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

The question was asked if you've already signed up for the bonus do you keep the bonus and get the professional pay. The answer was, "Yes, you will get both." with a follow-up of "we know there's going to be a mutiny if we try and take the bonus money away from people so a small number of people will end up getting both." Or at least that what I heard from a guy that knows a guy..

Thank you for the Intel, but frankly I have a tough time believing that.  Air Force has nickel and dimed me my entire career, tough to believe they’re capable of anything else.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Thank you for the Intel, but frankly I have a tough time believing that.  Air Force has nickel and dimed me my entire career, tough to believe they’re capable of anything else.

I have a hard time believing it too. The only thing that makes me think it might happen that way is because of the negative repercussions that big blue would have to deal with if they went back on either the bonus, ie no more 13 year commitment and bros running each other over to get out the door, or not providing professional pay to individuals simply because they agreed to serve their country for another 13 years. Both scenarios are not the kind of publicity the AF needs right now. In either case, those on the fence and the younger guys would see it as one more reason to get out, and the people answering this question know that. That being said this is all based on using sound logic, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's not what happens.

AFRC AGR bonus for FY18 is 35K/yr throttable between 1 thru 3 year contracts, no apparent discount for renewal contract versus initial, which is a change from previous years. Also, everybody gets the 35K up to 24 YAS, which was the other big change. ART bonus is 18K/yr with one year minimum to a maximum contract length to 25YAS.

All in all, thanks for the free money Blue, but it's not changing the calculus of those who are intent on getting airline jobs. Once they get the airline job, they'll cash this bonus, but not a day before. Not sure how this changes anything in the AFRC. The TR invol IA are absolutely killing morale and retention down here, fix that instead. There's no pay problem here (well, TRs getting their flight pay still jacked up is a problem), only a QOL one, and its costing them the kitty, just like the regAF.

As to them going to a dedicated career field incentive pay on a year to year float index, to the tune of 6K/mo increase over today's water line? ROFL. You guys crack me up. 

This is actually a proposal that makes sense to me. Align the program with something like the doctors (which unlike the airlines, we can make up for using the economy) and pay accordingly.  And the number being aligned with the market actually may move the needle for a few folks. It still doesn’t change block time or quality of life issues, but it’s a start. 

7 hours ago, war007afa said:

This is actually a proposal that makes sense to me. Align the program with something like the doctors (which unlike the airlines, we can make up for using the economy) and pay accordingly.  And the number being aligned with the market actually may move the needle for a few folks. It still doesn’t change block time or quality of life issues, but it’s a start. 

What do you mean "unlike" the airlines? That's not what @LookieRookie posted. He said the brief specifically mentioned pay that's re-assessed EVERY YEAR based on market indices specific to your civilian equivalent

I want zero to do with my hard-pay indexed to airline hiring. Soft pay, knock yourself out, but not hard-pay. That's why I don't support going to the doctor model for a 'pylet'. This skillset is simply not that market resilient in the civilian world. 

But this is all to do about nothing. This proposal has fvck all chance of getting passed by Congress. Stop loss has a higher chance of happening in earnest on FY20 than this pipedream. Either way, we're kind of a captive audience here in the mil side. The only play is to exit stage.

Edited by hindsight2020

23 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

If you like your bonus you can keep your bonus. 

• Haha 2