Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

3 hours ago, McJay Pilot said:

So, how long do you think it will be before some of the regionals are hurting so bad for talent that they offer "buy-out" options to bonus takers?

I tried this back in the 90’s. Grounded, feet on the ramp for turning down bonus, with 2 years left on ADSC.  I offered the AF a “reverse bonus”, I would pay them $25,000 for every year I owed to get out.  Blew their minds. Wing King said he wouldn’t even know where to deposit my check....

11 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

There’s an ADSC with the bonus. I don’t think a buy-out is an option unless they’re paying you to fail consecutive PT tests.

I don't think the idea that it's a buy out from the bonus, but an offer better than what the AF is giving right now to entice those from taking the bonus.

I don't think the idea that it's a buy out from the bonus, but an offer better than what the AF is giving right now to entice those from taking the bonus.

That’s easy. Match 12 yr O-4 pay (base + basic BAH) and you’re at $104k. If the regionals can do that, it’s a no brainer.

I’d speculate that most people would bail if the regionals locked you in for a year by paying for ATP and pay/bonus was in the range of 75% of that O-4 pay number.

3 hours ago, the g-man said:

I’d speculate that most people would bail if the regionals locked you in for a year by paying for ATP and pay/bonus was in the range of 75% of that O-4 pay number.

Regionals will pay for your ATP, and pay is pretty close to 75% with their signing bonuses. Also, you aren't locked in and can quit at any time.

Envoy for example:

• First Officers to earn $60,000 or more during their first year.
  • All Envoy new hire pilots receive up to $22,100 signing bonus, payable on their first day of training

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying. 

Edited by Jaded

29 minutes ago, BFM this said:

Average mil dude isn’t going to be at a regional long enough to keep their bonuses.

True, but it's kind of a moot point if they give up the bonus because they're getting hired at a major.

You are right.  There is a choice involved.

A) you're a mil dude, so maybe you have to do a t&g at a regional, then off to a major.  3-6 months, if you took their bonus, they want it back.  Hourly rate at year-1 for you.

B) You think the regionals have awesome bonuses, and you're hell bent on keeping the money.  You have to stay typically between 13 months and 3 years, because fuck seniority at a major.

The BL is that yes, the regionals are flashing better money than historical averages, but just like the AF's bonuses, they are retention bonuses.  Don't want to be retained?  Then you don't get to keep the $.  It's good for the .civ guys just reaching their R-ATP mins who are going to be there for 3-5yrs, but .mil guys should be prepared for some honest accounting if that's the route they end up on temporarily.  It's not free money with no strings attached.

Edited by BFM this
the point to all of this...

I don't get your point of view. Either you get hired at a major in a year, which is a win, or you get a signing bonus which makes your pay roughly equivalent to an Air Force captain. Both are pretty good results.

I don't get your point of view. Either you get hired at a major in a year, which is a win, or you get a signing bonus which makes your pay roughly equivalent to an Air Force captain. Both are pretty good results.

I think the original point was:
How do you receive your ATP?

Regional will pay for it, but is that worth the time you’ll waste there to get your number at a major?

10 hours ago, Chida said:

We are now over 2 months into the new FY and still no comms about this.

Any DSG or TR see the increase in flight pay on their LES, yet?

No raise for this DSG.  I talked to one of our sharp finance NCOs, who I've trusted since my SrA days, and she said a fix is being worked and is well above her pay grade.  She mentioned that AGRs and Active duty guys are good, but anyone on short term (ADOS type) orders and DSGs have not been fixed yet.  She's updated weekly on the progress and hopes that it will automatically back pay us, if not they'll have to do it manually...  

I got a separate LES for the additional flight pay increase for a two week period a few days ago. The weird thing is that it was for Oct 16-31. Still haven't been paid for the beginning of the month and the old rate was still in my Dec check. I am on AD school orders.

Edited by BONE WSO

I got a separate LES for the additional flight pay increase for a two week period a few days ago. The weird thing is that it was for Oct 16-31.

I saw some extra cash on an LES too for the same time period but it seemed it was logged as something else. We've been directed to just standby as our finance is working it.

@HookEmAll Similar situation; DSG on orders (deployed) and have been getting all kinds of random, token LES amounts in the past month. Word on the street is they are starting/attempting to fix the glitch for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Counts as normal pay, so no.  You only get tax free up to the maximum enlisted rate, which is fairly close to that of a major making flight pay before the bonus.  Since combat zone exemption is pretty much already max'd out as a major, the bonus goes above that amount and is taxed.  Obviously your tax bracket may be lower for the bonus, so you do save tax money in the long run, but not tax free.

• Upvote 2

Anyone else notice the new 2018 pay tables published by DFAS? Bigger raise than the August announcement and theres no longer a seperate pay table for the enlisted flyers. I asked my finance about the changes and they less helpful than if I hadnt even bothered to ask them the question. 

Screenshot_20180106-000304.png