Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Most of my senior leadership already has less flying experience than line dudes in the squadron.  I struggled to maintain my bearing when the OG/CC was introduced as a guest speaker "with over 100 combat hours".

There's plenty of good dudes who haven't deployed- luck and timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Warrior said:

Not anymore. None of this is going to happen for those of us who are already 6-9 years in and the young pups are going to be on that new retirement plan.

Which is adds a whole new wrinkle to this discussion. Guess how many days I stay past my ADSC if I can take my TSP that's been matched all along with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

This is why the old ideology needs to change. The new retirement means people no longer care about getting to 20 as they can get some kind of retirement at the end of their commitment. So how many people would pop ninja smoke at the end of their commitment and move on? Probably enough that it will make a big impact to the force structure and leadership.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, sqwatch said:

There's plenty of good dudes who haven't deployed- luck and timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes it tough to believe them when they say things like "I understand the OPSTEMPO" or "I've been away from my family too".  One wonders where the disparity comes from when most guys in the squadron have deployed 3-4 times to the desert, and your senior leaders at the O-6 level have one 3-month deployment to Guam in '06.  It's not like our community ever stopped deploying...we were in constant combat rotations right up until the B-52s went to AUAB this year.  What else do folks like this do that they aren't deploying or drawing that 365 card?

On 11/11/2016 at 1:27 PM, Homestar said:

Bottom line is that the MAF forecasts their pilot shortage to be 600+ by 2023 (I think). They can push more MAF pilots through initial which delays the inevitable. By 2023 the MAF pilot shortage will be as acute as the CAF pilot shortage is now. 

Good thing my commitment is up in 2022!

Did they have anything else interesting to say about this projected shortage, or was that it?

• Upvote 1

That was about it. And that retention is hard. Also, they're pushing to reevaluate staff positions for who is needed in those positions (fighter staff billet x has been filed by a MAF guy for years, does it really need to be a fighter pilot billet?). In my opinion, it's a shell game: MAF is trying to get bodies back from helping out the CAF to make their numbers better, but unless the billets go away, nothing really changes, and MAF will probably still be forced to fill it.

Sooooo...My bet is stop loss is coming

5 hours ago, di1630 said:

I heard from a 2-star that the USAF knows stop loss would be a catastrophe. Reasoning, they'd temporarily retain some pilots but overall it would cause more to leave in the long run.

I highly doubt we see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Just because its the dumbest thing in the world, doesn't mean Big Blue isn't going to try it or at least push for it

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

i love watching the world burn so im rooting for stop loss

This. I kinda feel like the only only way some O-8+ types could ever end up with egg on their faces is if we are forced to stop-loss people we were just paying to get out. 

Alas, I know that accountability does not exist at the rank of 0-6 and above (Rat, Bull Post, Hastings, etc), so the end result would just be some good bros getting held against their will due to shitty timing. That, and the asshat leadership that got us here will continue to pin on stars.  Thank Allah I'm already in the guard. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ViperStud said:

This. I kinda feel like the only only way some O-8+ types could ever end up with egg on their faces is if we are forced to stop-loss people we were just paying to get out. 

Alas, I know that accountability does not exist at the rank of 0-6 and above (Rat, Bull Post, Hastings, etc), so the end result would just be some good bros getting held against their will due to shitty timing. That, and the asshat leadership that got us here will continue to pin on stars.  Thank Allah I'm already in the guard. 

I cannot wait until you are an O-7.  Mark my words asshat.

I have not looked at the AFPC site lately...because I am RETIRED, but I heard today the retention rates remain ungood.  In the 11S community the target ACP takes rate is 64%, the break even is 52% and the current take rate is 32%....and falling.

29 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I thought that 11S had traditionally been a bright spot. What changed? 

A reflection of endless deployments and some VERY caustic folks getting promoted.  One person in particular did a lot of damage, he refused to let a Gunship EP go to the B-2 program...so the guy got out.  He refused to let a C-146 guy apply to the U-2 program...so the guy is getting out.  He also refused to let a CV-22 Flight Lead apply for TPS...so that guy got out. 

At one point earlier this year they were 1/14 on gunship pilots.  I know the shortage of 11Fs has allowed some former TAMI folks to flow back to fighters in the guard and reserve, the 11S community lost several patches to that situation. 

As some point this shortage is really going to snowball and require drastic measures.