Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Sounds like par for the course for the Air Force. Especially during a "pilot retention crisis." I've said it before, what a bloated and slow moving bureaucracy we've become. I realize a lot is controlled by Congress, but maybe they should learn to lead turn a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Take rates for FY16 as of 12 Sep with 18 days left until the program closes are shown below.  

Highlights:  45.6% take rate for pilots overall.  Early takers for FY17 are at 25.9% and, as recently alluded, the FY17 ACP isn't likely until Spring at the earliest.

Edited by ColoradoAviator
How the heck do I embed an image?!

Doesn't the AD version of the bonus have verbiage that limits the big bonus to initial eligibles only, meaning that those eligible in FY16 (and declined) won't qualify for the big money in the FY17 program?  My point is this - someone mentioned that there are likely holdouts waiting for it to go up but it doesn't work that way. I thought that an eligible pilot passing on 25/yr in FY16 would make them ineligible for the big money in FY17. 

Of course, they could always change the wording. So far though, I thought they put a gun to your head the first time you were eligible. Sucks to have graduated from UPT in Sept of '06 when your bros graduated only a few weeks later in Oct. 

• Upvote 1

I guess I was referring more to the early sign ups. If you were coming up on the end of your commitment in FY17, would you sign up early for $25k/yr when there is all this talk about the amount increasing?

What would be even more fantastic is if they wait until March and release a modest increase to $35k (which just corrects for inflation). I don't think that will move next year's numbers much higher than what we saw this year.

IIRC, if you're early-eligible, and you take the bonus, you get your payments spread out over one extra year (e.g. 10 payments of $22.5 instead of 9 at $25). You also have the option to "upgrade" to the following year's plan if there is any change in dollar amount or duration. It's a decent option if you know you're definitely going to take the bonus. If you're a fence-sitter, it's worth waiting for your initial eligible window.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2016 at 4:04 AM, ViperStud said:

The funny thing is this - "leadership" is trumpeting the total (rumored) 30% tech bonus as a carrot - no one is biting. The old guys (technicians) have a hard time understanding why everyone doesn't want to be just like them. Sound like AD?

Just got an update email from our OG/CC last week saying none of that is near the horizon.  They are blaming it on 2010 sequestration level freezes, etc...

In "unrelated" news....2 more dudes (ARTs) got their phone calls last week...one from Delta the other FedEx....

I'm sure leadership will respond just in time to realize they had a crisis a year ago...

5 hours ago, matmacwc said:

We already see the signing bonus here.  And only take an ART job if its temporary.

Not so fast. There is a "signing bonus" that they are literally so unable to enact that they are putting dudes on MPA days to wait it out until it happens. The rest of the initiatives to make up the +30% have stalled.  Also, no one is offering only temp-tech positions because basically every unit has open full-time tech positions.  They're a bad deal and in this market are not competitive. 

The NGB is asleep if they think they'll fill the tech force while the airlines are offering better compensation, QOL, schedule and long-term viability. Unfortunately, leadership is so fvcking stupid that they'll let us continue to bleed and wonder why people don't want to work for the govt until they are 58+.  They are clueless. 

3 AD friends just got picked up for the airlines in the last week (2 X Delta, 1 X FedEx), all already have PC approved or ADSC expiring. Came to the realization that I literally can not keep track of the amount of people I know getting offers from the airlines and leaving the AF. Furthermore none of them are people I'm happy to see go.

I seriously hope Fingers can do something to slow the flood but at this point the damage it done.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

3 AD friends just got picked up for the airlines in the last week (2 X Delta, 1 X FedEx), all already have PC approved or ADSC expiring. Came to the realization that I literally can not keep track of the amount of people I know getting offers from the airlines and leaving the AF. Furthermore none of them are people I'm happy to see go.

I seriously hope Fingers can do something to slow the flood but at this point the damage it done.

2.  And its also not just the airlines pulling people.  My community has lost at least half a dozen people in the last year due to ADSC expiration or PC that didn't go the airline route at all.  Solid dudes to include a WIC instructor school select and several high time instructors, none easily replaced.

16 hours ago, ViperStud said:

Not so fast. There is a "signing bonus" that they are literally so unable to enact that they are putting dudes on MPA days to wait it out until it happens. The rest of the initiatives to make up the +30% have stalled.  Also, no one is offering only temp-tech positions because basically every unit has open full-time tech positions.  They're a bad deal and in this market are not competitive. 

The NGB is asleep if they think they'll fill the tech force while the airlines are offering better compensation, QOL, schedule and long-term viability. Unfortunately, leadership is so fvcking stupid that they'll let us continue to bleed and wonder why people don't want to work for the govt until they are 58+.  They are clueless. 

AFRC 3 star just sent out an email updated (correcting) the email I mentioned yesterday that went out last week to all the OG/CC's.

Supposedly the 30% SSR + locality special pay table has been approved by AFRC and is at the OPM level.  

Bonus is a possibility.  

The two above will supposedly happen FY17...longer term below:

The FERs retirement multiplier will supposedly go from 1% to 1.7%.  

Would require legislative change but the email mentioned the idea of ARTs gaining access to TRICARE Select..

I'll believe it when it's actually in my LES but the steps above MIGHT prevent a couple dudes from switching....another guy got the call from Delta today...

• Upvote 1

So, in my reserve unit, the only way ARTs can become eligible for the bonus is if they display an "intent to leave." The most common way that individuals are being approved for that currently is by obtaining their ATP CTP and submitting that with their application. These guys, who are super happy as full timers, are then putting in apps with the airlines (because "why not") and are getting calls from the majors. They are taking class dates because of the lure of an early seniority number and are requesting TR slots. We are losing guys who happily would have stayed full time with the unit because of this ridiculous disincentivizing incentive. 100% true.

9 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Over under on the budget or a CR getting passed before the end of the FY?

Three days to go...

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

If I were a betting man, I would bet this month's salary on not having one by Oct 1st.  Followed by a scramble to have SOMETHING before the election.

10 minutes ago, pawnman said:

If I were a betting man, I would bet this month's salary on not having one by Oct 1st.  Followed by a scramble to have SOMETHING before the election.

Well, it's a good thing you're not a betting man.  Betting on a losing cause AFTER the outcome is known is certainly not a winning strategy!

From the Washington Post about an hour ago:

"The Senate cemented an agreement Wednesday to avoid an Oct. 1 government shutdown after House Republicans allowed a vote on federal aid to address the water crisis in Flint, Mich., removing a major obstacle in negotiations.

Senators voted 72-15 to pass a stopgap measure that will keep the government open until Dec. 9, giving appropriators time to pass 2017 spending bills. The measure also provides $1.1 billion in funds to address the Zika virus and $500 million in emergency flood relief."

And here I was hoping they'd shut down the gov't and cancel ACSC. :mosh:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pcola said:

Well, it's a good thing you're not a betting man.  Betting on a losing cause AFTER the outcome is known is certainly not a winning strategy!

From the Washington Post about an hour ago:

"The Senate cemented an agreement Wednesday to avoid an Oct. 1 government shutdown after House Republicans allowed a vote on federal aid to address the water crisis in Flint, Mich., removing a major obstacle in negotiations.

Senators voted 72-15 to pass a stopgap measure that will keep the government open until Dec. 9, giving appropriators time to pass 2017 spending bills. The measure also provides $1.1 billion in funds to address the Zika virus and $500 million in emergency flood relief."

And here I was hoping they'd shut down the gov't and cancel ACSC. :mosh:

Well, thank God I didn't take that bet then.

So...what are the odds that we will have a budget or CR on Dec 9?  Or will we just take all of December off?

11 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

An agreement between Ryan and Pelosi in the House is what opened the doors for the Senate to pass the CR.  Seems like a 9 Dec bill is likely as well, but then again all bets are off until the election is over.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/09/28/flint_funding_deal_may_avert_shutdown__131913.html

The CR through 9 Dec with some additional funding for Zika and Flint, MI is done and passed now: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/09/28/house-leaders-reach-deal-on-flint-aid-potentially-averting-shutdown/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_pp-congress-1205am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Edited by nsplayr

It has been a while since I posted anything - but if you guys don't mind helping me out with a project I'm working on with some guys from the CAF.  Help me out and feel free to complain and tell me to pound sand. I have 2217 days left on my commitment, I think you know where I stand.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/pilotshortage

• Upvote 1