Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

I'm going to give Fingers credit for at least not staying NORDO on this issue unlike his predecessor. He's been hitting hitting these issues publicly for a couple weeks now, whether that translates into changes who knows.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/air-force-service-will-be-short-1-000-fighter-pilots-1.423366

The shortfall of pilots is also a reflection of a nonstop demand on air power since the Persian Gulf War 25 years ago, he said. Today’s pilots have about half the flight training opportunities that Goldfein had, he said, which is feeding the low morale.

“We’re able to maintain a higher state of readiness forward where the combatant commanders need it, but the bill payer is the home station,” Goldfein said.

Edited by Fuzz

2 hours ago, whis said:

I would guess a part of it has to do with the ridiculous war on moral that took place beginning in 2013. The camaraderie that once was in the fighter squadrons has changed (I don't believe it is dead...yet) significantly.

When you can't have a picture of your family in the office taken at Disneyworld because Ariel the mermaid is too scandalous... We have gone too far.

Among other things...

Caveat...I believe we needed a course correction with regard to some of our shenanigans...but nothing as severe as what has taken place.

Did you stray from your safe space at some point?

Course correction?  You go to time out and hand over your mancard.  The shenanigans I was a part of as a LT in Korea pale in comparison to today's trouble making.  I miss the days of racing our spray painted beater cars down JJ taxiway half lit with the crew chiefs rooting us on.  I have pics somewhere, but alas, a few of the guys are FS/CCs now, so no posting.

Hey, that's A taxiway now....I remember those days.

Increases in bonuses is becoming a more possible reality; There's an official proposition to increase RPA (and possible manned pilot) retention pay to $35K/year.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/08/10/air-force-favors-big-boost-in-retention-bonuses-for-pilots.html

$35K was already approved for RPA by law last year; Air Force chose to offer 25 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it me or are these gimmicks to keep people in getting more and more ridiculous? 

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2016/08/09/432000-bonus-air-force-may-nearly-double-fighter-pilot-retention-pay/88464154/

Shouldn't that be a sign that there's something inherently wrong with the way you run the Air Force if it takes $432K to keep somebody flying? I wish they'd address the reasons people choose to leave instead of just blaming the airlines. Bonuses are just a Band-Aid fix to some deeper problems which leadership seems to just want to ignore. Thoughts?

15 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Considering it should be at least $35K/yr just to have kept up with inflation, $48K/yr is not out of line.

Should be $60K. I've heard that number a lot recently and that is what was in the House version of the NDAA. $60K says they mean business and are trying. $48K just doesn't sound or look as good after hearing $60K for a while. It's not about the money but this is a strategic error if it ends up being anything but $60K.

• Upvote 1

Should be $60K. I've heard that number a lot recently and that is what was in the House version of the NDAA. $60K says they mean business and are trying. $48K just doesn't sound or look as good after hearing $60K for a while. It's not about the money but this is a strategic error if it ends up being anything but $60K.

If you've read my other posts in this topic...you'd realize I've been saying $60K/yr is what HAF/A3 knows they need to spend.

18 hours ago, SnapLock said:

It would definitely be an insult to pursue the ability to offer $60K, then only offer $48K this year.  Probably not the move you want to make if your goal is retaining pilots.

Would the extra $12K make that much difference in the number of takers?  Probably not.  But offering less than the amount the Air Force asked congress for certainly sends the message that the Air Force isn't actually serious about fixing this problem yet.

It would definitely be an insult to pursue the ability to offer $60K, then only offer $48K this year.  Probably not the move you want to make if your goal is retaining pilots.

Would the extra $12K make that much difference in the number of takers?  Probably not.  But offering less than the amount the Air Force asked congress for certainly sends the message that the Air Force isn't actually serious about fixing this problem yet.

The Air Force needs to get serious. All the remarks to the media have been about the "fighter pilot shortage," while disregarding the rest of the AF. Manning in the mobility world may look OK to the bean counters at AFPC, but TACC has an insatiable appetite and my "overmanned" squadron struggles to pay the bill. What should be really worrying to the brass is the shift in attitudes (that I have seen) in younger pilots. While going through FTU for requal, most of the IPs I spoke with were 2nd assignment types (which shouldn't happen, IMHO). None indicated any desire to stay; many had hopes/delusions that they could palace chase with 4-5 years left on their ADSCs.

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

The Air Force needs to get serious. All the remarks to the media have been about the "fighter pilot shortage," while disregarding the rest of the AF. Manning in the mobility world may look OK to the bean counters at AFPC, but TACC has an insatiable appetite and my "overmanned" squadron struggles to pay the bill. What should be really worrying to the brass is the shift in attitudes (that I have seen) in younger pilots. While going through FTU for requal, most of the IPs I spoke with were 2nd assignment types (which shouldn't happen, IMHO). None indicated any desire to stay; many had hopes/delusions that they could palace chase with 4-5 years left on their ADSCs.

Our FTU is losing these pilots (and WSOs as well) at a pretty steady clip.  Most of them are second-assignment, with the occasional Lt Col on the sunset tour.  There are very few of the instructors who plan to stick it out until twenty years, including one or two who have 7-day opted IDE in-residence because they don't want the additional service commitment.

16 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Altus seems to be full of guys just waiting on their Palace Chase to be approved. It's not better in any of the operational squadrons just about every LT all the way to most of the leadership has gotten their ATPS. Few of my peers are interested in staying in (with or without the airlines hiring), most conversations revolve around airlines or other jobs on the outside even though it's many years off. The mentality is not good and it's going to take more than money to overcome one that's developed over almost a decade. The biggest double edge sword of the 10 year commitment is the Air Force gets to keep people for 10 years but by the time that times up people have had a long time to figure out what they want. 

Exactly. And because SAF/PC is refusing to approve almost all Palace Chase Apps outside of 6 months, many guys I know are saying screw the Guard/Reserves, I am done with this garbage all together. If they would start being reasonable with PC approvals, guys would stay till retirement in the ARC, instead we lose them forever.

• Upvote 1

On May 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM, General Chang said:

Ok, let's all take a deep breath and take the emotion down a notch.  Big picture...HAF has bigger fish to fry than keeping pilots on the right side of the happy meter.  Top of the list: finding $$ to recapitalize our fleet.  We have tools to (short term) solve a potential pilot shortfall and (long term) ensure it doesn't happen again.  No hesitation will occur if we cross the red line.  Pilot satisfaction is simply not at the top of the list right now with tools like stop loss, expanded commitments, and (good possibility) expanded bonus options available.

Hate the messenger all you want...fair warning: heed the message.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/10/us/us-air-force-pilot-shortage/

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5079490464001/air-force-facing-massive-fighter-pilot-shortage/?#sp=show-clips

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2016/07/18/air-force-leaders-plan-incentives-fix-fighter-pilot-shortage/87245740/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/08/10/the-air-force-fighter-pilot-shortage-is-already-a-crisis-and-it-could-soon-get-even-worse/

http://www.wnd.com/2016/08/crisis-usaf-warns-of-fighter-pilot-shortage/

• Upvote 2

Chang is a fvcking Major working 730-1630 for some nameless manager destined to become another POS GO in the image of those that stratified him the past 6-9 years. When Chang's staff gig is up he'll head back to a nameless base to serve as SARC or IG before he gets ushered out, only to take up a job as a Walmart greeter where he will give side-eye and mumble insults every time he sees someone wearing a flight suit enter through the exit doors. 

Quit giving him so much credit. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Duck said:

Exactly. And because SAF/PC is refusing to approve almost all Palace Chase Apps outside of 6 months, many guys I know are saying screw the Guard/Reserves, I am done with this garbage all together. If they would start being reasonable with PC approvals, guys would stay till retirement in the ARC, instead we lose them forever.

I was thinking this exact thing just the other day, is it better for me to try and Palace Chase and get hired by a Unit of which "we're not hiring" seems a common refrain; or just finish my commitment and make a clean break. 

• Upvote 1

Everyday I run into more and more first assignment guys in my AMC squadron already talking about getting out and going to the airlines.  I think it's pretty telling when the FNGs fresh out of school, full of the blue Kool Aid, are already dreaming about cutting bait.  I've never seen anything like it.

Edited by BADFNZ
  • Upvote 6