Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

2 hours ago, ARAMP1 said:

I can't see the bonus for RPAs increasing at all, in fact, it'll probably go away altogether.  With the enlisted force taking over, the AF is going to save money.  

I don't believe that would be true. The money saved would probably be overshadowed by higher turnover.

For us young guys anyone mind explaining the "boots on the ramp" policy, I've seen it mentioned over the years but never quite grasped what it entailed.

If you didn't sign the bonus, you were grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe that would be true. The money saved would probably be overshadowed by higher turnover.

Agreed. Enlisted RPA drivers are probably more likely to punch, given that, comparatively, they have more to gain by going private sector.

17 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

If you didn't sign the bonus, you were grounded.

They were called BENT pilots.  Bonus Eligible Not Taken.

So did John Kafer go to the airlines?

Edited by matmacwc

So pilot retention got to 30% in FY01 and probably would have continued to decline from there if 9/11 hadn't happened. We're probably just about there again and without

another astronomical terroristic event involving air travel, this could get interesting. Of course conspiracy theorists would believe the GVT could be conspiring to create such an event to save their bacon... again. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, ned1 said:

These shenanigans will continue unless TRUMP is put in office to stop the shady uniparty tactics. My friends we must vote not just complain and speculate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Are you related to scoobs by chance? 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, ned1 said:

These shenanigans will continue unless TRUMP is put in office to stop the shady uniparty tactics. My friends we must vote not just complain and speculate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ned, however much the Trump campaign is paying you to copy/paste your tea party emails... I'll double it, if you promise to never post about politics again. We've got issues that go far beyond any politician/candidate, whether they're wearing a chairman Mao pantsuit or a terrible hairpiece and a Rolex. 

• Upvote 7

On August 2, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Gazmo said:

So under 30% so far. Dismal. Does anyone have stats on take rates from the late 90's?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not one to defend big blue, but the number could get slightly better in FY17. If I were an early eligible right now and likely to take the bonus, I'd consider waiting to the new FY where the bonus is rumored to increase. Why sign for 9@25 when 9@35 is a few months away?

The extra 10k wouldn't be enough to change my mind, but might as well hold out for it if I was going to stay anyway. 

Edited by ViperStud
  • Upvote 1

NDAA hasn't been signed yet (and apparently won't be). Current version of 37 US Code sec 334 reads 35k for RPA pilots, 25 for other

8 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

NDAA hasn't been signed yet (and apparently won't be). Current version of 37 US Code sec 334 reads 35k for RPA pilots, 25 for other

Wut? So, is the 60K thing gone? Does anyone know/remember when the ACP officially comes out every year?

60k is in the 2017 NDAA, which passed both houses, but is likely to be vetoed on SECDEF's recommendation. Hopefully they either rewrite the NDAA to get it signed, or write a separate bill to amend the US Code

1 minute ago, ihtfp06 said:

60k is in the 2017 NDAA, which passed both houses, but is likely to be vetoed on SECDEF's recommendation. Hopefully they either rewrite the NDAA to get it signed, or write a separate bill to amend the US Code

Ok, so the SECDEF doesn't want to do anything and everything to retain pilots? That sounds about right. I'm planning on pulling the handles soon but a $60K per year bonus and significant improvement in quality of life/reduction of additional duties might make me think twice.  

Ok, so the SECDEF doesn't want to do anything and everything to retain pilots? That sounds about right. I'm planning on pulling the handles soon but a $60K per year bonus and significant improvement in quality of life/reduction of additional duties might make me think twice.  

There's a letter from Carter to McCain that explains why he recommends veto. Pilot retention is not among the reasons and I'm betting the 60k will eventually come about, but I wouldn't expect it to happen before the end of the FY.

Well, they did a study...

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR1400/RR1455/RAND_RR1455.pdf

"Overall, ...... we found evidence to support an increase in the ARP cap from the current $25,000 per year to $48,500 per year, a 94-percent increase, with a large range, from $38,500 to $62,500, to cover net increases in civilian pilot pay from 9 to 14 percent and an increase in major airline hiring to 3,800 pilots per year (corresponding to a probability of being hired of 70 percent). "

On 8/3/2016 at 1:18 PM, ThreeHoler said:

http://access.afpc.af.mil/vbinDMZ/broker.exe?

Scroll all the way down to the Rated Officer Retention Report. If the link doesn't work, Google "AFPC Static Reports."

After perusing the take rates on the site, the lowest sign up rate is the 11F community at 34.9% and 15.7% for FY16/FY17.  What is the extra level of suck that's making the pointy nose types more likely to get out than the rest of us.  Ignorant MAF guy here, but I can't imagine the the CAF is more clownshoes than AMC.

I would guess a part of it has to do with the ridiculous war on moral that took place beginning in 2013. The camaraderie that once was in the fighter squadrons has changed (I don't believe it is dead...yet) significantly.

When you can't have a picture of your family in the office taken at Disneyworld because Ariel the mermaid is too scandalous... We have gone too far.

Among other things...

Caveat...I believe we needed a course correction with regard to some of our shenanigans...but nothing as severe as what has taken place.

Course correction?  You go to time out and hand over your mancard.  The shenanigans I was a part of as a LT in Korea pale in comparison to today's trouble making.  I miss the days of racing our spray painted beater cars down JJ taxiway half lit with the crew chiefs rooting us on.  I have pics somewhere, but alas, a few of the guys are FS/CCs now, so no posting.

• Upvote 1