Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

On 5/19/2016 at 10:54 PM, General Chang said:

The future opportunities in our AF will be incredible.  You will be personally, monetarily, and professionally satisfied and rewarded.  Get excited and be a part of it.  It's your future.

All is well

As the stampede to leave commences.

I'm calling it. GC is is ILS. ILS is most likely a AFPC officer that was butt hurt about not getting a rated slot out of his commissioning source. Now he finally has a chance for his "wings" and is sipping the blue kool aid a little to much. Being in AFPC he has plenty of time to post on here while he takes his 2 hour lunch and works a few hours a day. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, viper154 said:

I'm calling it. GC is is ILS. ILS is most likely a AFPC officer that was butt hurt about not getting a rated slot out of his commissioning source. Now he finally has a chance for his "wings" and is sipping the blue kool aid a little to much. Being in AFPC he has plenty of time to post on here while he takes his 2 hour lunch and works a few hours a day. 

Shack!

I have nothing to add, other than another data point. I just went over 17 yrs active service, but am seriously considering going reserves and trying for the airlines now. I'd be turning down a healthy retirement, but three years is still three years. I don't know if I can follow the dipshits they put in charge these days. But the AF will be fine, my 3700 rated hours will be replaced by someone else with 200-ish. Nothing lost. 

• Upvote 6

I have nothing to add, other than another data point. I just went over 17 yrs active service, but am seriously considering going reserves and trying for the airlines now. I'd be turning down a healthy retirement, but three years is still three years. I don't know if I can follow the dipshits they put in charge these days. But the AF will be fine, my 3700 rated hours will be replaced by someone else with 200-ish. Nothing lost. 

That'd be a tough decision, but do what your heart tells you to do. 3 years is a long time to put up with bullshit, but on the other hand it's over $4k a month for the rest of your life vs. waiting until your 60. On the other hand, you could bail and make $2k a month with a reserve/guard unit without batting an eye lash and another $9-10k a month at one of the "Big 3" by 2nd to 3rd year FO pay. I am assuming you are a Lt Col?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, with my elementary understanding of reserve retirements, if you only have 3 years left, you'd be at 6205 points, and you need 7300 for an active duty retirement. You could probably pick up an active duty retirement in 8 years as a part timer. Or you could just do 3 good years and collect when you're 60.

All points are not equal. There are inactive duty points (drills) and active duty points (which come in their own varieties). For the purposes of retirement, only these two points-types matter. You need 7300 *active duty* points for an active duty retirement. So if someone has 17 years of active duty points and then starts picking up IDTs in the reserve, he will still get a reserve retirement, even if he somehow gets to a point total (IDTs and AD added together) of 7300.

These are the maximum IDT points per year creditable towards retirement.

before 23 Sep 1996: 60

on/after 23 Sep 1996: 75

on/after 30 Oct 2000: 90

on/after 30 Oct 2007: 130

Edited by Chida
formatting error

So, I was off this past Saturday.  Scheduling called me to ask if I could help them out with a DFW turn.  I didn't have anything to do, so I took the trip.  I made $2k to fly 6 hours...on top of my Reserve guarantee for the month.  Plus, they gave me two more days off later this month.

To those who decide to stay in...you are being underpaid for your services.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Vetter said:

So, I was off this past Saturday.  Scheduling called me to ask if I could help them out with a DFW turn.  I didn't have anything to do, so I took the trip.  I made $2k to fly 6 hours...on top of my Reserve guarantee for the month.  Plus, they gave me two more days off later this month.

To those who decide to stay in...you are being underpaid for your services.

Do you live in base?

• Downvote 2

.....and just like that, Chang and his bros continue to scoff the "it's not about the money" narrative. 

They scoff as a function of their own dissonance; confirmation bias. Vetter's post contained all of the essential elements:

-Choice of whether or not he would help--no obligation to be a "Yes Man"

-He chooses to live in base, substantially improving his QoL

-He may choose to bid another base when he becomes more senior

-He then may choose to relocate, or commute if if that is more advantageous

-He was immediately rewarded for helping out

-He may at some point trade some QoL for an earlier upgrade; seat, iron, or both

-OR, he may get kicked to the curb at the next market correction or merger. Who the fvck knows

Based on his posting history, he (like a lot of us) might trade a sizable chunk of the above for more time in a USAF tail, but not at the expense of being marginalized and commoditized on some spreadsheet

• Upvote 5

All this talk about the bonus and why we serve and here I've been sitting in a waiting room for the past hour to get my wife a new ID card.  Would 1,000 extra a month cure this?  Would 5,000?  I've been in 10 years and it always gets more painful.  If I hear "my system is down" or "they just updated our system and lost all your information" again I'm going to go nuts.  "Let's just give the pilots more money, that'll do the trick."  One word, WRONG!

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, BFM this said:

Good Stuff...

-He was immediately rewarded for helping out

More Good Stuff

I think BFM, for me at least, highlights the most important part of this whole discussion with this single point.  There is no way the AF, as an organization, has ever rewarded or recognized someone immediately for a sacrifice or helping out.  Not in a meaningful, life impacting way.  Get a piece of paper or a RMO.. fantastic, but it doesn't make up for being gone from my family AGAIN.  I say this as the deployer, and having my spouse deploy.  

I say this as a dude who's come to accept that I LOVE getting awards, and getting my Airmen awards.  There's nothing I can point to for them to say "it was worth it" for a lot of the "requirements of service."

Everything is delayed and nothing is guaranteed.  

You're not going to get that next promotion if you take this excrement-sandwich job.  Busted your ass all year in some staff position working some legit-important mission stuff, then fail a PT test?  Sorry, no decoration/gucci job/whatever for you since you've failed to "uphold standards."  Even then, this regard the reward is delayed.  Leadership can't even guarantee a strat for your OPR.

Edited by 17D_guy

4 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

I think BFM, for me at least, highlights the most important part of this whole discussion with this single point.  There is no way the AF, as an organization, has ever rewarded or recognized someone immediately for a sacrifice or helping out.  Not in a meaningful, life impacting way.  Get a piece of paper or a RMO.. fantastic, but it doesn't make up for being gone from my family AGAIN.  I say this as the deployer, and having my spouse deploy.  

I say this as a dude who's come to accept that I LOVE getting awards, and getting my Airmen awards.  There's nothing I can point to for them to say "it was worth it" for a lot of the "requirements of service."

Everything is delayed and nothing is guaranteed.  

You're not going to get that next promotion if you take this excrement-sandwich job.  Busted your ass all year in some staff position working some legit-important mission stuff, then fail a PT test?  Sorry, no decoration/gucci job/whatever for you since you've failed to "uphold standards."  Even then, this regard the reward is delayed.  Leadership can't even guarantee a strat for your OPR.

Peter Motivation USAF.jpg

• Upvote 19

Just took a quick look at the Senate version of the NDAA they passed today.  Looks like they didn't increase the bonus at all.  Not even to the $35K that I think they had proposed.  

But...but...Chang said they were cutting BAH in order to pay for the bonus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, hispeed7721 said:

But...but...Chang said they were cutting BAH in order to pay for the bonus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chang is nothing but a troll.  I'd trust a wet fart over the words he spews as truth.

• 4 weeks later...
It appears that RAF pilots are experiencing the same issues as we are regarding pay, bonuses, retention, and value.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-pilots-quit-why-we-must-stop-telling-people-valued-tim-davies

I love how he takes a swipe at Gen Welsh in there.

• Upvote 1