Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Aaaand welcome to May...curious if we will find out anything about the FY13 ACP prior to FY14?

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. The lack of comm about the FY13 ACP by Big Blue is deafening.

I called the ACP manager....number can be found on the AFPC site.

He clearly stated:

1. The money is there, it's at the SECAF level.

2. In his 8 yrs doing ACP work, this is the latest it's gone w/out approval.

3. He *expected* it approx 2 weeks ago, but now it could be 1 June.

4. There is no grandfather date. Whatever date you sign the commitment, that's when your ADSC starts.

He was very understanding about the situation and polite on the phone. Shouldn't be much longer....

• Upvote 3

I heard a rumor that the AFPC guy also said that since the airlines are going to start their hiring boom next month that the bonus will be increased to $35K/year and that the guy on BO who goes by Butters is always wrong about the airlines and that matmacwc knows all.

Sorry guys...I need some BO entertainment since nobody has posted anything good recently.

Just read the AFI, the message, and most importantly your contract carefully fellas...note what it says and what it doesn't say.

Thank you for that extremely nebulous piece of advice...is the 2013 ACP released or what????

Thank you for that extremely nebulous piece of advice...is the 2013 ACP released or what????
Just read the AFI, the message, and most importantly your contract carefully fellas...note what it says and what it doesn't say.

What are you trying to say, Learjetter? Is there some type of catch in the AFI, message, and/or contract that we should be looking for? If so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I think Lear is just giving sound advice!

AFI's change....ACP Messages change.

Make sure read and understand before you sign!

Cheers,

Cap-10

That's what I thought he was saying. In other words, don't sign the next 5 years of your life away based on what some schmucks on an Internet message board said.

Didn't intend to be "nebulous"--apologies.

Consider this: where do you think the AF needs gate-complete rated bodies who cannot turn down assignments because they just signed their ACP contract?

Hint: it's not always in a cockpit...

Consider this: where do you think the AF needs gate-complete rated bodies who can turn down assignments?

The ANG/Reserves. Oh wait, you said the AF. Most of us got out the earliest we could, you seem to be holding on for a bonus just to get out later, confusing. Gate complete means no more flying, who wants that?

Consider this: where do you think the AF needs gate-complete rated bodies who can turn down assignments?

Hint: it's the same place, and now they are forced to decide if they want to get out at 14 years of service or stay. If the had signed the bonus they would not have this problem.

I really have no idea what you are trying to say, Yoda.

Hint: it's the same place, and now they are forced to decide if they want to get out at 14 years of service or stay. If the had signed the bonus they would not have this problem.

That is a problem that I would like to have. It's hard to place a value on free agency, but it's worth more than $100,000 to me.

• Upvote 5

That is a problem that I would like to have. It's hard to place a value on free agency, but it's worth more than $100,000 to me.

100k would be plenty to me if that were the actual value. For my purposes, and for most others, the bonus means another 8 years. So, if you want to call it 100k after taxes, that is spread over 8, not 5 years. Since that total is not payed up front, you have to ask if being a free agent is worth 12.5k a year for 8 years. Many factors there, and for me there is the additional one that if I take the bonus, I will have a GI bill transfer (to my daughter) happening concurrently. That ups the dollar value some. Ultimately for me, it comes down to quality of life for my family. It is not an easy call, and the Air Force has payed some very smart people to find the dollar figure puts people right on the fence.

100k would be plenty to me if that were the actual value. For my purposes, and for most others, the bonus means another 8 years. So, if you want to call it 100k after taxes, that is spread over 8, not 5 years. Since that total is not payed up front, you have to ask if being a free agent is worth 12.5k a year for 8 years. Many factors there, and for me there is the additional one that if I take the bonus, I will have a GI bill transfer (to my daughter) happening concurrently. That ups the dollar value some. Ultimately for me, it comes down to quality of life for my family. It is not an easy call, and the Air Force has payed some very smart people to find the dollar figure puts people right on the fence.

I'm with you on the GI bill point. I'm factoring that in as well, as I wasn't married and had no kids at the time when it came out. Now that I'm considering taking the bonus I can transfer the GI bill over to our baby boy. I still don't know if it is enough to make me sign the bonus but it definitely ups the value.

This definitely won't be an easy call (if they actually offer the bonus that is)

A guy in the squadron just got back from shoe flag. In a discussion about retention issues, someone asked the full bird guest speaker what their plan was for fighter pilot shortages (expecting an answer involving incentives). The good colonel responded with something along the lines of, "We plan to stop-loss the irrational masses from making a bad decision and leaving active duty." So there you go. You're all just irrational and the leadership will set you straight. I dare them to stop-loss us. Hello 5 hour work week.

A guy in the squadron just got back from shoe flag. In a discussion about retention issues, someone asked the full bird guest speaker what their plan was for fighter pilot shortages (expecting an answer involving incentives). The good colonel responded with something along the lines of, "We plan to stop-loss the irrational masses from making a bad decision and leaving active duty." So there you go. You're all just irrational and the leadership will set you straight. I dare them to stop-loss us. Hello 5 hour work week.

Not at shoe flag, but I heard other senior leaders saying pretty much the same thing. Rather than dealing with the problem, they see stop loss as their answer.

I called it 2 years ago. No shit.

I actually plan on taking the bonus ("BURN THE WITCH," right?). A stop loss doesn't bug me, as I plan on staying. For the rest of the bros that don't want to be there, I can't imagine how weird things will get when dudes start saying "no" to the typical 11F 69-hour work week.

Edited by Ram

Stop loss............

If, as a group, everyone said "fine, you can stop loss me but i do not want to fly anymore", then they stop loss would not accomplish anything. And it is completely legal for any flyer to do. But, it would take a pretty good percentage of the affected individuals deciding to do it and stand strong on it. I have an idea too many folks would chicken out on it to make it work.

And Cap, I know you can take the bonus and get out. But, for me, its going to put the end of my ADSC past the 17 year point. I have already made the decision that if I get that far down the rabbit hole, I will just keep going to the other side. So, in my case, the ACP is an 8 year deal.

Don't forget taxes. Suddenly, that 365 to a shithole and the continued mind-numbing BS that comes with the bonus doesn't look so appealing anymore...

Stop loss............

If, as a group, everyone said "fine, you can stop loss me but i do not want to fly anymore", then they stop loss would not accomplish anything. And it is completely legal for any flyer to do. But, it would take a pretty good percentage of the affected individuals deciding to do it and stand strong on it.

Why on Earth would one be in the Air Force and choose not to fly? This circus would not be worth it if I was a penguin.