Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

The mission and personal sacrifices associated with the mission arent what's driving people out of the Air Force en masse. If you ask, 90+ percent of flyers will tell you they love their mission and it's what gets them up in the morning. It's the mountain of queep and endless administrivia hoops we jump through on a daily basis that sours people on the Air Force. Its the daily grinding against the densest bureaucracy imaginable. 

I worked a civilian engineering job for 5 years prior to Air Force life and it was leaps and bounds more focused on my primary duty than the Air Force is focused on me being a CMR CAF pilot.  So we'll play a quick game of civilian world never-have-I-ever. 

Never have I ever in my civilian job:

-had a computer that takes 20 minutes to log onto email

-been voluntold to attend and organize social functions in my off time

-DRMO literally anything

-submit my co-workers for 15 categories of awards every quarter with nazi-regime level strictness of the award submissions

-use 1/2 and 1/4 spaces in a document to adhere to writing standards

-do HR functions onboarding/off boarding/ discipline/punishment

-had scheduled PTO cancelled causing me to eat plane ticket and lodging costs

-had my company open a credit card in my name, stipulate what I can use it for, threaten me for not using it, and withhold payment based on an archaic voucher system managed by literal retards.

-had basic structural issues with our office building go un-fixed for years

-been put in charge of entire programs wildly outside my job description

-pulled weeds, mowed grass, and plowed snow around my office building

-done 69 annual CBTs to maintain "readiness"

to name just a very very few.  

Most of this stuff just sounds like minor gripes and complaints but the list is endless.  If you have significant private sector experience prior to entering or a spouse you can compare stories with its very very easy to see the insanity of all this crap.  Most dudes won't get that perspective until getting out.  

• Like 9

On 6/9/2023 at 5:27 AM, Mark1 said:

This won't win any popularity contests around here, but it's very naive and unjustifiably self-aggrandizing.  Guys that did 12-20yrs active duty and then go Guard, to the airlines, or slot in as mid level management somewhere and see their QOL improve don't have much perspective on it.   They are not starting over on the civilian side in a way that is comparable to their military career arc.

Yes, the military makes some unique demands.  Yes, a winged officer has to sacrifice more time to their craft than someone working front desk at a hotel or serving at a restaurant.  But those aren't valid comparisons.

Compare a winged Capt to a young professional looking to advance in their field, and neither is walking easy street.  There are plenty of professionals missing their kids activities to work late, putting out fires on the weekend, and facing divorces because they live on the road and never see their families.  Are some skating by on minimal effort.  Yes.  And we all knew a few squadron-mates that fit that description as well.

If you're in a position to be dodging RPGs, scooping your buddies intestines back into his body cavity, and worrying about when roadside bomb roulette is going to catch up with you, then yeah, you've experienced something most can't fathom.  But that applies to almost nobody on this board. 

As far as simple demand on your life, I think you'd be surprised.  I was.  I started at the bottom of a completely novel field of work after getting out, and I'd easily rate my top 5 most stressful and time consuming weeks all on the civilian side.  Not looking for validation or recognition.  Only to say that any view I had of myself as engaged in some Sisyphean struggle when I was active duty, when compared to my civilian peer group, was way off.

We're talking different sacrifices here.  Not too many of my high school/college friends who went into the civilian professional world have had their company send them away for months on end.  Most can't even wrap their minds around leaving their family for two weeks at a time, let alone doing it multiple times a year...not long after being gone for 4-6 months.  They rarely (if ever) miss a holiday at home, let alone multiple in a row.  I don't know a single one of them that missed their daughters wedding (not me, but a close friend) because their company sent them short notice on a 6 month business trip and wouldn't excuse them or try to find them a replacement.  Yes we signed up for this, but they're still sacrifices that most in the civilian world will never understand.  That, along with all of what pooter said above, wear on you.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Pooter said:

The mission and personal sacrifices associated with the mission arent what's driving people out of the Air Force en masse. If you ask, 90+ percent of flyers will tell you they love their mission and it's what gets them up in the morning. It's the mountain of queep and endless administrivia hoops we jump through on a daily basis that sours people on the Air Force. Its the daily grinding against the densest bureaucracy imaginable. 

Mostly agree, but ops tempo and having a predictable schedule also are huge for quality of life. I could not have sustained my life as a tanker toad from 2014-2017. Min dwell between deployments and then red flags shoe horned in between, plus other crap crushed me.

And, even today, if I don't have approved leave on the books then nothing is safe or sacred. There are still many communities running their people to the breaking point.

For those staying AD, why is the UPT enterprise so derided? Predictable schedule, not deployments (mostly), fly a lot. Admittedly locations aren’t great but based on the above, why is UPT viewed so negatively?

47 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

For those staying AD, why is the UPT enterprise so derided? Predictable schedule, not deployments (mostly), fly a lot. Admittedly locations aren’t great but based on the above, why is UPT viewed so negatively?

A lot of 10-12 hour days, last minute weather Evacs, last minute cross country’s to get Stan to graduate on time, and sq leadership that oftentimes caved to OG level pressure to continue to produce more at the expense of IP quality of life. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

I think most dudes shit talk it because they haven’t actually done it. They’ve heard about it from their buddies friends sisters uncle and perpetuate lies. It’s a daily grind, but a lot of the MWS ancillaries simply don’t exist. There is no pre-deployment WSMR/NAWS/WSEP trip…no flag to participate in…nothing. Sure, you triple turn and fly XC, but you’re smoking crack if you think that keeps you TDY more than an MWS unit.

To take this one step further…I’d wager that 87.69% of the folks who drag XL through the mud couldn’t even find it on the map, let alone have been there. Is Del Rio a garden spot? Not even close. But there are people who complain that the sand in the FL Panhandle was too fine and difficult to wash out of their crusty ass cracks.

@UDEL09I know this is going to sound harsh, but allow me to play you a classical piece on the worlds smallest violin.

My personal gripes and those of bros at a UPT base on why these assignments are hated by some:

- terrible schools around UPT bases for their kids

- little to no jobs available for their spouse in the local area unless they want to use their masters degree to steam milk at Starbucks

- DoD level jobs for their spouse…lol 

- the base itself is shitty

- on base housing agency tries to F you at every turn

- timeline rules all, to hell with trying to make students better, just push them through. One size fits all cookie cutter approach to students that are struggling. 

- a syllabus written by absolute retards

- management that doesn’t have the balls to do what’s best for the students/IPs because though that may be best for the AF, it’s not best for the timeline and thus not best for their careers 

- Oh you left the CAF as a 4E/IP, well have fun trying to get back to the TX as a major, unless you want to go to Korea, holoman, eielson, etc. BTW you’re now behind your peers so good luck catching back up as a major and staying in the CAF if that’s what you want.

There’s so much more but it’s Friday and not worth it to keep typing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Standby said:

I think most dudes shit talk it because they haven’t actually done it. They’ve heard about it from their buddies friends sisters uncle and perpetuate lies. It’s a daily grind, but a lot of the MWS ancillaries simply don’t exist. There is no pre-deployment WSMR/NAWS/WSEP trip…no flag to participate in…nothing. Sure, you triple turn and fly XC, but you’re smoking crack if you think that keeps you TDY more than an MWS unit.

To take this one step further…I’d wager that 87.69% of the folks who drag XL through the mud couldn’t even find it on the map, let alone have been there. Is Del Rio a garden spot? Not even close. But there are people who complain that the sand in the FL Panhandle was too fine and difficult to wash out of their crusty ass cracks.

@UDEL09I know this is going to sound harsh, but allow me to play you a classical piece on the worlds smallest violin.

It is a grind.  

There are fewer additional duties, but plenty of gradebooks to write, or review prior to the student's 88/89, or a sim to run because the civilian sim IP isn't qual'd to teach some sims, or getting a "good deal" XC where you can sit a day in some random city so you aren't "forced" to take a comp day (because who wouldn't want to double turn student sorties for 11 of 12 days?).   Then, get told you aren't producing enough and also need to take more time for "resiliency" (which is mandatory, but also will likely be scheduled over).

Is it the worst thing in the world?  Of course not.  Is it way more pain than it should be?  I'm going to go with yes.  

3 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Been in for 15 years now, the best job I had thus far was being a UPT Flt/CC.

15 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Location cannot be stressed enough. They're not just not great.. they are in the absolute ass crack of America. And Im not talking about what I've heard, I've been to all the bases and lived at 2 of them.

For married folks it's terrible for the spouse and kids. For single folks it's terrible because good luck finding anyone to date other than the #peopleofwalmart locals. 

If you're one of those guys who thinks location isn't a big deal or the locations  aren't that bad based on your year and change spent there in UPT 10-15 yrs ago I've got an experiment for you. After work one day sit down with your wife and tell her you got orders to Laughlin. There's nothing you can do, you guys are moving at the end of the summer. See how that conversation goes and then come tell me location isn't a big deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, artvandelay43201 said:

Someone likes that Walmart strange

Pooters challenge was to tell the wife we were going to Laughlin. I did that in 2017. No tears, no whining, no drama.

…I’m not saying I didn’t like the Del Rio Walmart though. 

• Upvote 1

People complain about the USAF because right now pilots have numerous well paying alternatives.

If the economy goes to hell, the airlines furlough, etc, those same sideline sport b-tcher’s happily resubmit and beg for employment from big blue.

I’ve seen it multiple times in my 23 years.

Right now is unprecedented though. Pilots have a ton of well paying opportunities so it just really comes down to personal priorities (money/family/flying cool jets vs a fat bus etc) and life circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So have I. Hell, you want to see Olympic medal level flip flopping, spend a day in a guard reserve unit. I got the lost decade T-shirt, i saw it all from the front row. They make congress sound principled by comparison.

Don't take too long taking out the trash at the squadron, they'll take your AGR and eff your wife in the time it took you to get back in your chair 😆.

PS. Im being tongue in cheek, you know i love you 121 folk, blue falcons among you notwithstanding.

Edited by hindsight2020

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

People complain about the USAF because right now pilots have numerous well paying alternatives.

If the economy goes to hell, the airlines furlough, etc, those same sideline sport b-tcher’s happily resubmit and beg for employment from big blue.

I’ve seen it multiple times in my 23 years.

Right now is unprecedented though. Pilots have a ton of well paying opportunities so it just really comes down to personal priorities (money/family/flying cool jets vs a fat bus etc) and life circumstances.

1 hour ago, hindsight2020 said:

So have I. Hell, you want to see Olympic medal level flip flopping, spend a day in a guard reserve unit. I got the lost decade T-shirt, i saw it all from the front row. They make congress sound principled by comparison.

Don't take too long taking out the trash at the squadron, they'll take your AGR and eff your wife in the time it took you to get back in your chair 😆.

PS. Im being tongue in cheek, you know i love you 121 folk, blue falcons among you notwithstanding.

What you boys are talking about is something called tolerance.  Just because they go back, doesn't mean anything changes...it still sucks lol.  

When rona kicked off, I wasn't too concerned with furlough based on my seniority, but since I wasn't doing anything else at the time, I ran some numbers.  Figured out that I could survive easily just on my part time pay cards, as long as all my tenants payed (they did).  So that was my plan, work 6 days a month.  That's how much I didn't want to go on orders lol.   If I just sat one day of alert/month on top that, I could have easily afforded to keep flying my planes a fair amount. 

22 hours ago, Standby said:

But there are people who complain that the sand in the FL Panhandle was too fine and difficult to wash out of their crusty ass cracks.

image.jpeg.bda6914b6e7341928d40c9aa2d9a5d6f.jpeg

It gets everywhere…

Edited by nsplayr
  • Haha 2

RPA specific: the the Guard DSG bonus went up to $30K (from $15K) while the AGR bonus remained the same at $35K.
Makes staying a DSG an even easier decision, you’re barely missing out on any bonus money at all!
For manned it’s up to $50K for AGR.
ANG FY23 AvB Implementation Policy_Final.pdf

Don’t you RPA operators have a mIRC chat channel for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk