Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

The first time I heard "more with less" was around 2005, incidentally this was just a few years after the ops/mx split, its been downhill ever since.  In my corner of the AF, the powers that be cut fighter production to almost nothing around 2008 which ended up dramatically increasing work load in the fighter squadrons and lowering quality of life.  Choose your reasons why, but for the moment the grass is greener on the other side, it used to just be grass.  These swings are not new, and will happen again.

• Like 1

That’s weird, because I’ve had two friends in my squadron and 06 YG get tasked with 365s. AMC may have cut their 365s, but HAF and joint tastings (which MAF guys are eligible to fill) haven’t decreased from what I’ve seen. If anything, MAF guys are getting more 365s because the CAF and AETC are better able to stiff-arm deployments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Homestar said:

I really could not care less what crap the AF peddles through its propaganda arm.  I just see what’s around me.  Everyone I know that is staying in is planning on a 365.  Some guys volunteer for one so they can control the timing/location/job and negotiate an assignment with AFPC.  

I don’t really give a crap what the AF says, I’ll believe they are making a fix when I see it.  I still am seeing guys getting “hot” for that 365 around the 15 year mark and trying to figure out how to avoid it, and ending up “volunteering” for one for the above said reasons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bender said:

They don't want you to know.

Edit: seriously though, it's STRD + short tours; YG just happens to kinda jive with STRD, ish, a little.

Well, that makes me feel a little more secure with two short tours and a return date in 2012.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

You know who doesn't do forced 365s or useless 179s...the guard and the airlines.  Run!

Our T-6 Reservist are getting tagged for 179s as well, I believe they have broken up a few into 90s but there is no guarantee.  Getting a Reserve gig may be a nice hold over until your established in Airlines but long term I'm not sure they will be able to retain very soon.  Too much AD bullshit seeping into Reserves from what I am seeing.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Buddy Spike said:

The Navy Reserve does.  And the Guard/Reserve have already seen a few of those.  

I have yet to see a guard PILOT get involuntarily, individually mobilized to a 179/365...only Reserve pilots.  I'm not saying it hasn't happened or those days aren't coming, just that I haven't seen it yet in the ANG.  I think leadership is smart enough to grasp the reality of the mass exodus that would happen after the first one.  Either way, this is just another reason why I'll always recommend the Guard over the Reserves to all my buddies leaving AD.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

You know who doesn't do forced 365s or useless 179s...the guard and the airlines.  Run!

Not entirely true. C130 units are getting tagged with Afghan Air Advisor. We sent three people. Our leadership lucked out that they were volunteers, two of them anyway, one had an ADSC so they voluntold him. It's not just a 179. You have to learn Army, so that is another couple of months. 

Had leadership had to make a list and start asking -those who said no would have been shown the door. My estimate is we would have lost 20-30% of instructors across each crew position.

I'm in a guard unit.

Edited by Eli
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SocialD said:

I have yet to see a guard PILOT get involuntarily, individually mobilized to a 179/365...only Reserve pilots.  I'm not saying it hasn't happened or those days aren't coming, just that I haven't seen it yet in the ANG.  I think leadership is smart enough to grasp the reality of the mass exodus that would happen after the first one.  Either way, this is just another reason why I'll always recommend the Guard over the Reserves to all my buddies leaving AD.

I don't know of any personally, but I've heard of them from folks at A3.  The Guard actually ended up with more than the Reserves.  

1 hour ago, Eli said:

Not entirely true. C130 units are getting tagged with Afghan Air Advisor. We sent three people. Our leadership lucked out that they were volunteers, two of them anyway, one had an ADSC so they voluntold him. It's not just a 179. You have to learn Army, so that is another couple of months. 

Had leadership had to make a list and start asking -those who said no would have been shown the door. My estimate is we would have lost 20-30% of instructors across each crew position.

I'm in a guard unit.

Funny enough, I was just about to edit my post and mention the C-130 Afghan stuff, but I had only seen it happen in the Reserves.  Me thinks if you drill down a bit, you may find this more of an offering by your local, senior leadership than a mandated requirement sent down from above.  Kinda like when Montgomery was "forced" into a 6 month deployment to Afghanistan...

If this happened here, I'll bet that 20-30% would be a fairly low number.  We already have a fair number of guys barely hanging on after the last few "deployments" we've had to go fly CT missions half way around the globe.

1 hour ago, Buddy Spike said:

I don't know of any personally, but I've heard of them from folks at A3.  The Guard actually ended up with more than the Reserves.  

Interesting, I'll have to ping a bro up at NGB...I would be interested to see the numbers, communities and how many were actually volunteers.  I'm guessing if it had happened in my community we'd know about it asap as bad news spreads like a wildfire.

Edited by SocialD

8 hours ago, Disco_Nav963 said:

Might need to jump on one sooner to negotiate your way out of Dyess! Otherwise they might keep you at the FTU until you're hot for one.

I just need 45 days deployed to stave one off for five years.

Plus, with two under my belt already, there are plenty of other folks that will be more hot for them.

• Like 1