Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Anyone called the phone number recently?

I called it today.. the answering machine message dated Tues, 28 May stated it was still at the SAF/MRA desk awaiting approval and expect it to take at least another 3-4 weeks.

-9-

I called it today.. the answering machine message dated Tues, 28 May stated it was still at the SAF/MRA desk awaiting approval and expect it to take at least another 3-4 weeks.

-9-

Funny, that's what it said 3-4 weeks ago.......and 6-8 weeks ago! Sounds like Bob at the ARP office is getting strung along like the rest of us.

I bet it is approved before they start handing out the Fall VML assignments at the end of June to keep people from 7 day opting the hell out of this cycle. Just a hunch.

You could have said the same thing back several months ago concerning the summer assignments.

I agree that it will most likely be out in the next month or two, but given the government these days, who the hell knows. Very little surprises me these days.

I bet it is approved before they start handing out the Fall VML assignments at the end of June to keep people from 7 day opting the hell out of this cycle. Just a hunch.

Too late for this kid. They gave me a bullshit assignment so I seven day opted. I officially don't give a shit about the bonus. Feels good!

• Upvote 3

I really hate to see dudes bitter about the Air Force these days. It seems like just yesterday we were all still having fun. WTF happened?!? I say do what is best for you and your family (if you have one)! I hate to see good dudes punch while douches stay behind. Good luck to all of you dudes and hot dudettes who decide to leave! I don't know if this is the reason the ACP is being delayed, but the Air Force put themselves in this hole...can't get a good "bonus" approved because they were irresponsible with cuts the past few years...and now someone has to explain why we are trying to offer a good bonus to keep bubbas in when we just paid a bunch to go. I really wish it was Schwartz in the hot seat on that one....

I really hate to see dudes bitter about the Air Force these days. It seems like just yesterday we were all still having fun. WTF happened?!?

I'm 10 years prior E, just pinned on Capt. Wife and I commissioned same date. I wonder this all the time and tell her it wasn't like this before 2007ish. It seems like it's changed so much in just the past 6/7 years.

I really hate to see dudes bitter about the Air Force these days. It seems like just yesterday we were all still having fun. WTF happened?

I barely remember the fun times you speak of. Bitter is a bit of an understatement; I'm pretty much at a point where I just down right fukking hate the USAF, or at least those responsible for the endless ass raping me and my buddies have endured. I just watched the latest round of 365's occur- to dudes that already have done far more than their fair share. I took TAMI in stride, but it has been straight downhill since. My boxes are checked, my promotion is there, my AAD is complete, my flying credentials are more impressive than most senior leadership. My USAF future is so bright, but you couldn't fukking pay me enough devil money to stay one goddamn day longer than I have to. This USAF will be an interesting place, because everyone I know approaching their ADSC's feels the same way. Either we 'Stop Loss', or we shit can a lot of iron to create available pilots. Which will it be because we all know that the USAF is so completely unable to resolve this problem.

I took TAMI in stride, but it has been straight downhill since.

You should have started with that sentence. I don't think it's possible to genuinely "take TAMI-21 in stride". Other than the paycheck, and we know how long that excuse lasts. Unless they let you back in the cockpit, there is no way a young dude would be able to rationalize having his wings clipped at such a young age. At least the old guys have a sore back to appease their feelings on departing the cockpit. TAMI was a huge bait and switch. Last time I checked, non-pilot aircrew didn't have a 12 year commitment and we didn't send loadmasters to UPT to be loadmasters. That probably explains 69% of your hatred for the job. It's not that things got bad, it's that they never got good for you in the first place.

I sometimes wonder what it would have been like going AD instead of Reserve, considering the multitde of current and qualified AD dudes that cut in line when the old unit sold us out and went AD Lite....then I remind myself that for my year group, had I gone OTS instead of AFRC, would have put me dead smack in the middle of TAMI, and then things look awesome by comparsion to me again. At least the 90s banked pilots got their jet eventually (some even got paid masters degrees from reputable civilian universities while collecting an O-3 paycheck no less) and flew to their hearts content. TAMI was just a soulsnatch job.

^ ultimate username/post combo

Dr. Farthing: I know there's really nobody to blame for this but myself, well, I don't know, maybe the Buffalo Bills, the Boston Red Sox, or Mr. T or, or the Jets...

Mitch: Wait a minute, Mr T.? Are you telling me that you bet on the fight in Rocky III, and that you bet against Rocky?

Dr. Farthing: Hindsight is twenty-twenty, my friend.

You should have started with that sentence. I don't think it's possible to genuinely "take TAMI-21 in stride". Other than the paycheck, and we know how long that excuse lasts. Unless they let you back in the cockpit, there is no way a young dude would be able to rationalize having his wings clipped at such a young age. At least the old guys have a sore back to appease their feelings on departing the cockpit. TAMI was a huge bait and switch. Last time I checked, non-pilot aircrew didn't have a 12 year commitment and we didn't send loadmasters to UPT to be loadmasters. That probably explains 69% of your hatred for the job. It's not that things got bad, it's that they never got good for you in the first place.

I sometimes wonder what it would have been like going AD instead of Reserve, considering the multitde of current and qualified AD dudes that cut in line when the old unit sold us out and went AD Lite....then I remind myself that for my year group, had I gone OTS instead of AFRC, would have put me dead smack in the middle of TAMI, and then things look awesome by comparsion to me again. At least the 90s banked pilots got their jet eventually (some even got paid masters degrees from reputable civilian universities while collecting an O-3 paycheck no less) and flew to their hearts content. TAMI was just a soulsnatch job.

Tami was a dirty little whore that ######ed me over; there is not a day goes by I don't curse that bitch. Don't get me wrong. When I joined (OTS as well), you couldn't have found a more positive, I'm here for 20 type of a dude. Here we are 10 years later and you can reread my post to see where I'm at. Granted, I took it in stride basically following the mantra of "blossom where your planted" crap. I was optimistic that I would crawl out of the other side like Andy Dufrain; unfortunately our "pipe of shit" has no exit except to punch the hell out ASAP. I didn't go fly UAV shit. I ended up in airplanes, upgraded through evaluator, and am now an IP in another MWS. Being optimistic, having the best attitude, and working my ass off has helped me out a lot but the shit keeps flowing from Big Blue. Just for perspective, I have a friend from OTS (TAMId together) that is paroled from UAV hell and is back in F-16's (yeah, it's happened once or twice only). He is sharp dude with excellent potential yet he regrets being a school select and being back in the jet (vice UPT or some other easier to find job in the guard). He wants the ###### out too! As a matter of fact, I don't know a single person even thinking about staying. Not one. You made the right choice with the Reserves; I chose wrong.

• Upvote 1

Tami was a dirty little whore that ######ed me over; there is not a day goes by I don't curse that bitch. Don't get me wrong. When I joined (OTS as well), you couldn't have found a more positive, I'm here for 20 type of a dude. Here we are 10 years later and you can reread my post to see where I'm at. Granted, I took it in stride basically following the mantra of "blossom where your planted" crap. I was optimistic that I would crawl out of the other side like Andy Dufrain; unfortunately our "pipe of shit" has no exit except to punch the hell out ASAP. I didn't go fly UAV shit. I ended up in airplanes, upgraded through evaluator, and am now an IP in another MWS. Being optimistic, having the best attitude, and working my ass off has helped me out a lot but the shit keeps flowing from Big Blue. Just for perspective, I have a friend from OTS (TAMId together) that is paroled from UAV hell and is back in F-16's (yeah, it's happened once or twice only). He is sharp dude with excellent potential yet he regrets being a school select and being back in the jet (vice UPT or some other easier to find job in the guard). He wants the ###### out too! As a matter of fact, I don't know a single person even thinking about staying. Not one. You made the right choice with the Reserves; I chose wrong.

May I ask which community you ended up in post TAMI?

He is sharp dude with excellent potential yet he regrets being a school select and being back in the jet (vice UPT or some other easier to find job in the guard). He wants the ###### out too!.

I was following until this point. Maybe I'm just really tired, but I don't get why he is so angry if he got back in the jet. School select too. What gives? You as well, you are flying, apparently doing well (evaluator, IP, etc) yet you are still hating it.

I'm not poking a finger, I am honestly confused. I'm in a pretty isolated position right now, and before that I was in helos, so I haven't seen most of what you guys are talking about in regards to TAMI and UAVs. I'm with you 100% on the suck factor of most of what is happening in the AF, but I thought getting back into the jet was the dream for everyone in UAVs. Especially your bud who is back in F-16s.

Seriously, genuine question, no spears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I barely remember the fun times you speak of. Bitter is a bit of an understatement; I'm pretty much at a point where I just down right fukking hate the USAF, or at least those responsible for the endless ass raping me and my buddies have endured. I just watched the latest round of 365's occur- to dudes that already have done far more than their fair share. I took TAMI in stride, but it has been straight downhill since. My boxes are checked, my promotion is there, my AAD is complete, my flying credentials are more impressive than most senior leadership. My USAF future is so bright, but you couldn't fukking pay me enough devil money to stay one goddamn day longer than I have to. This USAF will be an interesting place, because everyone I know approaching their ADSC's feels the same way. Either we 'Stop Loss', or we shit can a lot of iron to create available pilots. Which will it be because we all know that the USAF is so completely unable to resolve this problem.

Dude, epic post. I have been on exchange for the last 1.5 years and had almost forgotten the all-sinking depression of Big Blue. Now, I face the choice of coming back to the pain-fest that is AD Big Blue or punching. Thanks for a dose of reality.

I guess your perspective in the AF really depends on your community because in mine, I would say most guys in mine are in the stay till 20 category, however about 75% are considering not taking the bonus in exchange for the ability to punch if the next assignment involves a UAV or a 365.

I really would like to know what the percentages are of those that are completely fed up with the AF and those who aren't. If I was a young guy reading most of the threads here, I would be pretty scared about joining up. I guess I haven't been kicked in the balls hard enough to share the same sentiment of a lot of guys here.