Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

2 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

I'm curious... how much would the bonus have to be to keep you in, assuming the institutional problems of the AF don't get any better? 

For me, in my current community, it would have to be in the neighborhood of $75k/yr for 8 yrs and half of that as a lump sum. 

That could change. However, I have a suspicion that if the AF wants to simply throw money at this problem, they'll have to really open the checkbook.

I was told by a very high ranking officer about two weeks before the NDAA came out that the bonus would be $48K. That might have kept me around. If they would have made $60K happen I most likely would not be leaving. 

It's not about the money for me, but how much I think the Air Force values me. When I hear $60K, then $48K and then finally $35K ends up being the number right after a senior officer tells me different that sends a message. Either they don't value us enough to open their wallets, or they can't get the dollar amount higher even with a major retention problem. In either case I got the message loud and clear and I feel that I've made the right decision to leave.

I was told by a very high ranking officer about two weeks before the NDAA came out that the bonus would be $48K. That might have kept me around. If they would have made $60K happen I most likely would not be leaving. 
It's not about the money for me, but how much I think the Air Force values me. When I hear $60K, then $48K and then finally $35K ends up being the number right after a senior officer tells me different that sends a message. Either they don't value us enough to open their wallets, or they can't get the dollar amount higher even with a major retention problem. In either case I got the message loud and clear and I feel that I've made the right decision to leave.

I heard similar from someone high up at HAF. If you read the Senate markup you'll see that the Senate shot down the $48K because they didn't believe there was a retention problem.

15 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

I heard similar from someone high up at HAF. If you read the Senate markup you'll see that the Senate shot down the $48K because they didn't believe there was a retention problem.

This. Senators don't care about the true manning state, nor is any self serving GO/O-6 going to tell them the sky is falling. Fiddling... while Rome is burning.

• Upvote 2

If it was X-dollars pegged to inflation/pay raises, meaning they recognize its value decreases as other pays increase, I would have taken that as a signal that they realized there was a systematic issue with the bonus of the last 25 years - as it is, I don't really any positive signals being sent with the current suggested bonus levels.

This. Senators don't care about the true manning state, nor is any self serving GO/O-6 going to tell them the sky is falling. Fiddling... while Rome is burning.

If it ain't bringing billions of dollars worth of business to the states these Senators represent, they don't care about it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I just made a spreadsheet of staying until 28 years (my current bonus expiring at 20 Yas) as an O-5 or getting out at 20 and working for my "desired" airline which has much lower pay but based where I wish to live.

The USAF would have to extend my current $25K just to compete.

Add in 12 days a month off and no threats of 6 mos away/365....no brainer

My magic number is I'd consider staying for $60k without deployment exemptions/homesteading.

$45k with some stability measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

I just made a spreadsheet of staying until 28 years (my current bonus expiring at 20 Yas) as an O-5 or getting out at 20 and working for my "desired" airline which has much lower pay but based where I wish to live.

The USAF would have to extend my current $25K just to compete.

Add in 12 days a month off and no threats of 6 mos away/365....no brainer

My magic number is I'd consider staying for $60k without deployment exemptions/homesteading.

$45k with some stability measures.

Or is it that they don't think the money is the driving issue? I'm not sure how much the AF would have to shell out to even make a dent, but my guess is it would be considerable.

The AF has a leadership issue. Morale and retention are merely symptoms.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Duck said:

Or is it that they don't think the money is the driving issue? I'm not sure how much the AF would have to shell out to even make a dent, but my guess is it would be considerable.

To put up with the current and future leadership? A LOT

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, Duck said:

My estimate is also A LOT, 48K+ at least, maybe 60K.  It would have to be in that range for me to at least consider it.  It would have to be substantial in order for me to take that next PCS to somewhere I don't really care to live, do more paper work than I am already doing, and never see the inside of a cockpit for three years... because, you know, promotion and someone has to feed the machine...

They could pay me a lot less if I could stay where I am at and keep flying the mission and deploying every once in awhile (on a flying deployment).  I even considered staying in as an O-4 free agent (7 day opt on any PCS/365 non-flying deployment BS), which sounded like a possibility from my leadership, but they also said the AF would very likely (or could) fire me when I got passed over for O-5.  Good thing I know few other places that will pay a decent wage to fly and only fly.   

Edited by Trogdor

Realize you'll make about $150k with middle of the road effort in year 3 at any of the major airlines. So a 60k bonus would be about even with that for a capt/maj with a lot more bullshit. 

If you have 1500 hours and an ATP you are a hot commodity these days. 

Dont sell yourself self short or undervalue you experience. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Realize you'll make about $150k with middle of the road effort in year 3 at any of the major airlines. So a 60k bonus would be about even with that for a capt/maj with a lot more bullshit. 

If you have 1500 hours and an ATP you are a hot commodity these days. 

Dont sell yourself self short or undervalue you experience. 

And what's next for Mr. Hoss?

I just retired at 20yrs and 3 days. 

If you run the numbers, you either have to get out at your first opportunity, at exactly 20 years, or stay in the af forever. Anywhere in between and you're losing money and opportunity. (Brs may change that calculus .... but doesn't effect me). 

I've said it before, but I'm nothing special (and many can vouch). I'm a viper guy with almost 3k hours. I've been hired by Sw, delta, and united and invited to interview with FedEx, aa, and a legit aviation mad scientist.  And I wasn't trying all that hard.  I will have my choice of employers once I wrap up my 4 months of terminal leave. 

Ymmv...have a plan and a backup plan...and don't undervalue your experience. 

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, HossHarris said:

I just retired at 20yrs and 3 days. 

If you run the numbers, you either have to get out at your first opportunity, at exactly 20 years, or stay in the af forever. Anywhere in between and you're losing money and opportunity. (Brs may change that calculus .... but doesn't effect me). 

I've said it before, but I'm nothing special (and many can vouch). I'm a viper guy with almost 3k hours. I've been hired by Sw, delta, and united and invited to interview with FedEx, aa, and a legit aviation mad scientist.  And I wasn't trying all that hard.  I will have my choice of employers once I wrap up my 4 months of terminal leave. 

Ymmv...have a plan and a backup plan...and don't undervalue your experience. 

clap.gif

• Upvote 7

OT:  ART Bonus VALID!

Just wanted to update a sidebar from a few weeks ago - the 25% Bonus is a thing, and showed up in this week's LES.  (Voodoo math involved, YMMV by locale)

Looks like it's being applied differently in the ARC, and may take some time for full implementation, at least in AFRC...

Anyhoo, it's good to see Big Blue follow through on something with a tangible positive impact - $$$, but still long overdue.  Hope the AD folks get a similar boost soon.

Yep. I've been getting one for about 8 months now.

And oh by the way, it's not really getting a whole lot of people to stay. They're offering it one year at a time, which is nice. Honestly I wouldn't have taken it if it were any more commitment than that, but I was in the right place at the right time and wasn't quite ready to make the jump to the airlines. I won't sign another one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2017 at 5:27 PM, daynightindicator said:

Palace Chase:
Less than 6 mo ADSC - likely to be approved
6-12 - rare
More than 12 - very unlikely

Looking for any recent experience with fighters to heavies palace chase. Did you get 6 months approved? And is it typical to start the RTU immediately after separation or can it be delayed a few months? Lastly, any recent palace chase to fighter units getting approved for more than 6 months? Thanks.

Constant exercises, control exerted from on-high at a level far exceeding anything in ACC, and this strange commitment to forcing people to change platforms.  Pretty much none of my B-1 bros wanted to go fly a BUFF, resulting in an email to all B-1 aviators from the wing commander questioning our patriotism and loyalty.

Can we see said email?

Heard a rumor today (allegedly from the lips of the AMC/CC) that FY17 ARP is going to be 35k for 11Fs, 34k for everyone else. Can't make this shit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any provision for people currently on the bonus to re-up to the new (admittedly pathetic) amount?

I recall people that signed the 5 year bonus were eligible to sign the 20 YAS bonus when it was newly offered.

4 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Heard a rumor today (allegedly from the lips of the AMC/CC) that FY17 ARP is going to be 35k for 11Fs, 34k for everyone else. Can't make this shit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah! That's hilarious to take one last discriminative jab. Guess what? The airline bonus is well beyond that. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

Any provision for people currently on the bonus to re-up to the new (admittedly pathetic) amount?

I recall people that signed the 5 year bonus were eligible to sign the 20 YAS bonus when it was newly offered.

That was only available to those who signed the 5-year bonus the previous year...