Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

I don't get the math....

5 yr - 125K

10 yr - 250K

...it's still the same $ per year? $250K is enticing, but why a 10 yr? You'd be doing much better at offering a 7 yr bonus, knowing that folks would easily stay the extra 2.5 yrs or so.

Take the normal progressed officer. 6-9 months on casual, 1 yr of UPT, then that's when your clock starts. 10 yrs places him/her just outside the 20 yr retirement window.

I think this is bogus, but - being one in the initial eligibility window, hope the $250K is a viable option.

While I agree with your math, I disagree that 7 yrs would be better than 10 yrs. IMO, a dude who signs the bonus will stay for retirement whether its 5, 7, or 10 years long. A dude who signs a 5 year bonus only has around 3 years left at the end of his bonus commitment. I don't see a dude giving up a paycheck for the rest of his life (retirement) with only 3 years to go. Therefore, the goal isn't to get a guy close enough to retirement to stay in for 20; the goal is to get him to sign the bonus at all. And dudes will be way more likely to sign it knowing they will get paid the $25k per year for their entire time through 20 as opposed to taking a pay cut 3 years prior to retiring. This whole 10 year thing is making some sense to me - scary that I just said that.

I don't get the math....

5 yr - 125K

10 yr - 250K

...it's still the same $ per year? $250K is enticing, but why a 10 yr? You'd be doing much better at offering a 7 yr bonus, knowing that folks would easily stay the extra 2.5 yrs or so.

Take the normal progressed officer. 6-9 months on casual, 1 yr of UPT, then that's when your clock starts. 10 yrs places him/her just outside the 20 yr retirement window.

I think this is bogus, but - being one in the initial eligibility window, hope the $250K is a viable option.

Have you given any thought to the possibility that there is no 10 year bonus? I believe the quote from jstarsshag was "I have no clue if this is complete B.S."

A guy in my office said his sister heard the bonus was going up to 120,569 per year for 6.9 years and you get you very own personal stripper.

Edited by Butters
  • Upvote 1

Nope. (unless you go AGR)

There currently is no AGR bonus for FY13. The talk has been about offering a bonus to all reserve status' (TR, AGR, and ART), but target it to career fields and/or locations that need retention or recruiting help. In fact there was an article on AFPC's site a few months ago citing AFRC leadership when they were first floating this. Not sure if it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised. And, of course, it's significantly less than previous AGR bonuses (i.e. 10K per year).

Have you given any thought to the possibility that there is no 10 year bonus? I believe the quote from jstarsshag was "I have no clue if this is complete B.S."

A guy in my office said his sister heard the bonus was going up to 120,569 per year for 6.9 years and you get you very own personal stripper.

Butters...seriously dude. This is an Internet forum, everything on here is a rumor until proven guilty. Now then, as for your rumor, 6.9 years just isn't long enough, they'd need to make it 6.93333...repeating of course.

Butters...seriously dude. This is an Internet forum, everything on here is a rumor until proven guilty. Now then, as for your rumor, 6.9 years just isn't long enough, they'd need to make it 6.93333...repeating of course.

I just want the stripper.

• Upvote 1

Yea dudes... I'm not stating anything as fact or trying to start any shit, just passing on the gouge between me and a bro who heard from his Sq/cc etc etc...

I too think the stripper in every cockpit would have a much better effect on retention! Would go a long way to un f*ck this PC horse shit the USAF has been feeding us over the recent years.

A 10 year plan does make better sense than a 5 or 7 as they it offers better competition with potential airline pay. Its about getting more people to take the bonus in the first place. Now if they can somehow make it tax free. Oh wait, that's what deployments and 365s are for.

Out

Wrong. On both counts. Just got off work; sarcasm?

You guys are missing the point. The stripper is not about retention, it's about preventing sexual assault by giving you an outlet. Similar to a punching bag for anger issues.

Oh yeah, the stripper could end up bring a dude. Never trust big blue.

Edited by Butters

I'm setting an over-under on the release date for the FY13 ACP: 1630EDT, Friday, 03-May-13.

Way over!

My sources say Friday for the announcement, and nothing changes

Terrible source!

...and you get you very own personal stripper.

It is this kind of thinking and joking around that creates a culture tolerant of deviant sexual behavior in this Air Force! But on a more serious note....where can I sign up to get one of those strippers!?!?

Keep in mind, any bonus you sign is not intended to benefit you in any way unless you are in it for the money (which really isn't much). All the bonus does is obligates you to Big Blue, it does not obligate Big Blue to you. In other words, while you can't get out of your "10-year" deal, Big Blue can release you at any time from your 10-year deal no questions asked. So it doesn't guarantee anything especially a career to 20 years and a pension. This is a type of "force management" without actually having to manage. They know they have you because you can't leave, but they can cut you if they realize they don't need you. Having "free agents" in a world of 365s to Shitcrackistan and 7-day opts forces Big Blue to actually manage people and they don't want to have to do that. As long as you know that going in, you won't be disappointed if you get RIFd, bonus or no bonus, when the Air Force has to draw down. I do find it ironic how the AF spent so much time and money RIFing and VSPing pilots, giving them money to separate, and then asking Congress for more money to fund a program to keep pilots in...no one ever saw that coming.

Edited by BitteEinBit
  • Upvote 5

Keep in mind, any bonus you sign is not intended to benefit you in any way unless you are in it for the money (which really isn't much). All the bonus does is obligates you to Big Blue, it does not obligate Big Blue to you. In other words, while you can't get out of your "10-year" deal, Big Blue can release you at any time from your 10-year deal no questions asked.

Brand new 2LTs should know this as well. Hell, anyone that wears the uniform should know that it is like any other job out there where its not guaranteed.

Personally, I am strongly considering taking the bonus if and when it comes. My nuts have been kicked in very minimally these last 12 yrs, so Im thinking another 8 couldn't be that bad. (Famous last words, I know).

Brand new 2LTs should know this as well. Hell, anyone that wears the uniform should know that it is like any other job out there where its not guaranteed.

Personally, I am strongly considering taking the bonus if and when it comes. My nuts have been kicked in very minimally these last 12 yrs, so Im thinking another 8 couldn't be that bad. (Famous last words, I know).

Famous last words alright. You do realize your flying days are in your rear view mirror right?

Keep in mind, any bonus you sign is not intended to benefit you in any way unless you are in it for the money (which really isn't much). All the bonus does is obligates you to Big Blue, it does not obligate Big Blue to you. In other words, while you can't get out of your "10-year" deal, Big Blue can release you at any time from your 10-year deal no questions asked.

But do you get to keep the $$ you were already paid via ACP if Big Blue decides to cut you loose, or do they add insult to injury and expect to recoup that too?

Edited by stract

But do you get to keep the $$ you were already paid via ACP if Big Blue decides to cut you loose, or do they add insult to injury and expect to recoup that too?

Didn't they go after USAFA guys when their commitments we cut short? Nothing would surprise me.

Famous last words alright. You do realize your flying days are in your rear view mirror right?

Not necessarily, as my unit was several O-5s that have gone 20 without a single nonflying assignment. My current flying assignment will just about take me to 15 yrs of straight flying. 50/50 chance of a staff/flying gig next. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Didn't they go after USAFA guys when their commitments we cut short? Nothing would surprise me.

Them just cutting you loose I would think is a little bit different than you "failing to uphold your end of the deal" by SIE or fail out of the UPT pipeline.

But then again we are talking about common sense and big blue.

I guess this statement totally depends on your community. In mine, you can fly as long as you like if you don't care about command. 11F shortage is a good thing in that case.

I guess this statement totally depends on your community. In mine, you can fly as long as you like if you don't care about command. 11F shortage is a good thing in that case.

This statement has only been valid for about 2-3 years, prior to that leaving was a 1 way door, and the 11F community was filling up the UAS. The pendulum will swing, it always does.

This statement has only been valid for about 2-3 years, prior to that leaving was a 1 way door, and the 11F community was filling up the UAS. The pendulum will swing, it always does.

Shack. Ops tested.