Info on flight boots

Nike SFB's are nice. Had them about a year. Won't ever go back to "authorized" boots.

Did you have to get the AoR for wearing these?  I don't wanna blow another $140 on "flight approved" boots when I already have these.

I just wear them.

• 10 months later...

Adding on to the flight boot info. I have had the pleasure of getting my hands on a prototype from Rocky for a flight boot they are currently trying to get approved through Wright-Patterson. The Bellville 693's in my opinion, are an "upgrade from the 690's albeit smaller than they should be. The Rocky's are true to form however and outshine and outperform any of the other offerings hands down. They take the qualities of the S2V and add on the additional requirements of a flight boot. If you are anything like me these will be a well-needed addition to our pitiful offerings. I will update this forum with any additional info I happen to find.  

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

"...outshine and outperform any other offerings hands down..."

Have you tried the flight approved Danner Rivots? The Belleville 693s are clunky and awkward. The Rivots feel like they're broken in right out of the box--big fan as far as flight approved boots go.

I wear Oakley's.
http://tacticalgear.com/oakley-si-light-assault-2-sage-green?gclid=COat1uifzdACFUZLDQodTLMN8g#/24364/1656,4428,5129/1?dl=b

Great boots. Used to wear Nike's, but decided to these. I like them better than the Nike's. Super light-weight and they seem to be a bit higher quality. Not flight approved, but then again, I don't give poop. I care more about day to day foot happiness than the off chance my boots melt to my feet in a fire. If my feet are on fire, I've got bigger issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On November 27, 2016 at 6:49 AM, 11F said:

"...outshine and outperform any other offerings hands down..."

Have you tried the flight approved Danner Rivots? The Belleville 693s are clunky and awkward. The Rivots feel like they're broken in right out of the box--big fan as far as flight approved boots go.

How's the weight on the Danner's?  Noticeably lighter than the Bellevilles?

I have not tried the Danner's they look decent and I am sure they are quicker quality than the Belleville's. The only issue is the price. There is no way my squadron will fork out that kind of cash for boots when there are boots for half that much. 

• 5 months later...
Anyone know if the Danner Rivot TFX is kosher at Laughlin AFB?

If you are flying the need to be on the safe to fly list. There is rumor that a sq/cc failed a new IP on his very for having boots that were not on the safe to fly list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Karnak said:

Anyone know if the Danner Rivot TFX is kosher at Laughlin AFB?

Danner Rivot TFX are on the safe to fly list. I just got a pair a month ago and love them. I think they're even more comfortable than Rocky S2Vs (not flight approved).

1 hour ago, Duck said:

What kind of boots can you get for free from supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Not sure Duck, have an pair of badly stained Bellvilles' - I'll try to clean them with the boot kit and keep them for SERE. They sell the Bellville 693 at the BX, but I have heard that the Danner is a much better boot. Just want to make sure that XL does not have some weird rule about having the Danner (Post UPT, in the Grad flight until IFF).

I'm still sporting the originals I was forced to buy for ASBC. Definitely not flight boots and they are starting to resemble the black boots from 12 years ago. I got a pair issued from supply but they are uncomfortable and I don't want to spend any money on boots. Was just wondering if anyone had success getting a better pair for free from supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

10 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

If you are flying the need to be on the safe to fly list. There is rumor that a sq/cc failed a new IP on his very for having boots that were not on the safe to fly list.

That place is a bastion of outstanding leadership.. I was tehre in 13/14 (yep with Hastings as the wing king) and the T1 DO was doing boot checks at the step desk on studs/IP's and turning them back if they didn't have "flight approved" boots....

That place is a bastion of outstanding leadership.. I was tehre in 13/14 (yep with Hastings as the wing king) and the T1 DO was doing boot checks at the step desk on studs/IP's and turning them back if they didn't have "flight approved" boots....

Ironically there was a JQP post today about the OSS commander.

11 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

Ironically there was a JQP post today about the OSS commander.

That guy sounds like a winner.  Unfortunately douche bags like him far out number the good commanders.   Can't wait till separation and my double barrel middle finger to all this retardation.  Also his hair cut makes his already oversized nugget look ridiculous.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

That guy sounds like a winner.  Unfortunately douche bags like him far out number the good commanders.   Can't wait till separation and my double barrel middle finger to all this retardation.  Also his hair cut makes his already oversized nugget look ridiculous.

Hhhm, No.

Don't get me wrong, when TC first wrote his Dear Boss letter a half decade ago, I was one of the ones up on my desk jumping and cheering.  But the brand has tarnished, that's for sure.  As a metaphor, think about other media sources that you've seen handle aviation stories, for instance.  Once you have an expert working knowledge of a field, then see it mangled by journalists who only take the time to get a half inch deep understanding of what they then write about, you get the point.  In this case, JQP (or whoever is currently carrying the nom de plume) has seized on nothing in an attempt to shake the tree for fruit.

I've gotten into more than a handful of bar conversations about the veracity of JQP over time.  Bar conversations with folks that have a more intimate knowledge of certain events than I do, and they take a much more jaundiced eye toward JQP, and it's often telling.

This story in particular, (if you can manage to get yourself past the CC's haircut and nugget for a moment) is toilet paper thin.  It's a policy letter.  Read 1-2.  The CC is clearly articulating policy, not much more.  Since when did unit PT become some abhorrent punishment?  Really?  Are we a part of UAW now?  Can't organize PT unless the union bosses approve?  There's plenty that's fucked up about our PFT model.  Lets start with a 6'2" dude waist measuring the same as a 5'4" dude: doesn't pass the logic test, but here we are.  But if someone is min-running the numbers and the CC wants to attempt a glove save; a CC that actually wants to engage his NCOs to lead; a CC that actually wants to (gasp) Organize, Train, and Equip his squadron for success; that is now offensive?  FFS, this is a far cry from the Dear Boss letter that lamented the neutered state of a sitting commander.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, BFM this said:

Hhhm, No.

Don't get me wrong, when TC first wrote his Dear Boss letter a half decade ago, I was one of the ones up on my desk jumping and cheering.  But the brand has tarnished, that's for sure.  As a metaphor, think about other media sources that you've seen handle aviation stories, for instance.  Once you have an expert working knowledge of a field, then see it mangled by journalists who only take the time to get a half inch deep understanding of what they then write about, you get the point.  In this case, JQP (or whoever is currently carrying the nom de plume) has seized on nothing in an attempt to shake the tree for fruit.

I've gotten into more than a handful of bar conversations about the veracity of JQP over time.  Bar conversations with folks that have a more intimate knowledge of certain events than I do, and they take a much more jaundiced eye toward JQP, and it's often telling.

This story in particular, (if you can manage to get yourself past the CC's haircut and nugget for a moment) is toilet paper thin.  It's a policy letter.  Read 1-2.  The CC is clearly articulating policy, not much more.  Since when did unit PT become some abhorrent punishment?  Really?  Are we a part of UAW now?  Can't organize PT unless the union bosses approve?  There's plenty that's ed up about our PFT model.  Lets start with a 6'2" dude waist measuring the same as a 5'4" dude: doesn't pass the logic test, but here we are.  But if someone is min-running the numbers and the CC wants to attempt a glove save; a CC that actually wants to engage his NCOs to lead; a CC that actually wants to (gasp) Organize, Train, and Equip his squadron for success; that is now offensive?  FFS, this is a far cry from the Dear Boss letter that lamented the neutered state of a sitting commander.

Sorry going to have to continue to disagree with you here on "CC is clearly articulating policy, not much more"  He is mandating "NEW and IMPROVED minimums to the PT standard.  On top of that he is requiring those not meeting his higher standard (for no justifiable reason) to have additional duty requirements (PT at 0600 is likely outside normal show time for his squadron and thus additional time). 

If he really want's to do group PT then do it on the company time.  If the Air Force wants to put its money where it's mouth is then it will provide ample opportunity for people to get their PT in during normal hours.  One of my older squadrons 2-3 times a week would kick every one out of the squadron at 1530 or so for group PT, have us PT for 30-45 mins and release every one home to spend some extra time with the family.  Considering we all deployed/TDY 6+ months a year on average this did two things.  Took care of your people while at home through additional family time to attempt and pay some of that lost time back, and incentivized the PT as it was an easy ticket to getting out of the office early.  Even better he made it very clear he expected people to head home, and made sure the individual shop chief's were not expecting their people to head back into the office post PT protecting us from overly zealous workaholic types.    

So yes is JQP off base at times? Sure.  But in this case I can find no fault with his reasoning.  This commanders policy is shit.  If you are provided time in the day to get your work out, and fail to utilize it and fail then you are punished great.  But until you fail they need to back the F#$% off.

• Upvote 1

Side note - JQP is only this popular and stories carry so much weight for one reason alone.  We have utterly lost faith in our leadership and will believe just about any thing negative about them.  He is empowered for this reason because we have all seen these kinds of failures over and over. 

5 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

This was actually your best argument.  I mean, really, that hair.  That nugget.

You stay angry, San Diego.

• Upvote 1