Info on flight boots

The way I see it, the boots were free, but I paid $149 to never polish again. Well worth it. Plus they are incomparably more comfortable than the shoddy pieces of shit I was issued at UPT. Now that mine are broken in, they're so soft that every step feels like walking on angel tits.

1. Who the fuck ever polished beyond 2 min every 6 months?

2. Green boots are no different than my black boots except for the color/material...comfort is exactly the same.

3. They actually look way worse with all the oil, hydro, etc. stains all over them...I could just wipe that crap off my black boots.

Eh, at least they aren't worse in comfort...I'd be pissed if I couldn't walk on angel tits all day.

Boots are boots. If Belleville goes through all sorts of hoops to make them comfortable and effective, I'm all for it. For the first time in a LONG time, we MIGHT have an effective lowest bidder. Yesterday was the first time in 4 years of owning belleville green boots (and executing no maintenance on them) that I felt moisture inside my boots (thanks to the Korean monsoon). That's use every five-six out of seven days a week for four years. Time for new ones. I'll call that a good track record.

Dear Belleville: Beat that!

FF

The black Addison flight boots are still the shit, "angel tits" or not.

Amen. I wore my UPT-issued Addisons on every non-deployed flight until 31 Oct 2011 and have kept them in case the Air Force ever regains SA and lets us wear them again. Hell, I'll probably ask to be buried in them.

I don't believe I'll ever think that the green boots don't look dumb. I took pride in keeping my black boots clean and at least somewhat polished. Polishing them was a pre-checkride ritual.

Gone are the days when you could judge a pilot's experience by how many eyelets on his boots had the black coating worn off.

The rudder pedals still don't feel right. Fighter pilots, those are the things you press with your feet to make the aircraft yaw.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, do any of you have "the list" of approved green flight boots?

Is Converse ok? Tactical Research?

And do any of you have recent experience and preferences with any of the approved flight boots that haven't been discussed on this thread?

Edited by Huggyu2

Green boots suck.

I miss my decade old black leather cadet flight boots with the leather so broken in that they fold over when you take them off and set them on the floor. Plus they were lucky.

Anyway, I think if you look this up in the Airmans Manual (AFPAM 10-100) it will point you in the right direction.

So, do any of you have "the list" of approved green flight boots?

Is Converse ok? Tactical Research?

And do any of you have recent experience and preferences with any of the approved flight boots that haven't been discussed on this thread?

Technically:

AFI 11-301V1

2.17. Aircrew Members:

2.17.1. Obtain personal flying equipment (i.e., flight suits, boots, gloves, etc.) from assigned/attached squadron supply, maintain accountability and serviceability, and ensure availability for maintenance.

and:

2.10.13.1. Flight Boots. The primary aircrew boots, as authorized in AS 016, are the FWU-3/P, FWU-8/P, and the lightweight model 700, 770, 790 and sage green 690 Belleville® Aircrew Boot. Lace-up zipper inserts may be used. Boots, flying, extreme cold, Sorrel Premium,Mukluks, as well as vapor barrier thermal are authorized for wear during winter flight operations at the discretion of unit commander.

However...that said...no one I know gives any kind of rat's ass as long as its greenish suede-ish bootish footwear.

YMMV in your unit, your unit's Chief-dom, MAJCOM supp, etc...

• 4 months later...

If you look up the boots on that list they are either the standard Belleviles or knock-off Belleviles. With the exception of the Danners ($300 is a bit steep IMO).

Thread bump because I'm looking for something other than the Belleviles. I'm not sure what the process is behind approving boots for flight, but I'm leaning towards contracting/political motivations.

Since I left the UPT world, I've yet to met anyone who cares what boots you wear. So long as they conformed to the color of the week requirement. Experience of others may vary.

Go through an AETC CUI. Ugh...

Since I left the UPT world, I've yet to met anyone who cares what boots you wear. So long as they conformed to the color of the week requirement. Experience of others may vary.

I'm an AMC guy and a guy in our squadron was told that he can't wear his non flight approved Nike boots in the squadron because he 'might' have to go fly.

I'm an AMC guy and a guy in our squadron was told that he can't wear his non flight approved Nike boots in the squadron because he 'might' have to go fly.

I probably wouldn't fly an ejection seat aircraft with the Nikes, but they are an excellent choice for the rest (assuming some ass monkey doesn't get in your chili over them). They are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever owned, and they are incredibly flexible, which makes them great for riding my motorcycle. I imagine the rudder control would be great with them too, or maneuvering to the lav/food station. If the time ever came where you needed to run to avoid impending danger, they would definitely aide in your escape. /salespitch

I imagine the rudder control would be great with them too...

Oh, that's funny!

Do Mil-Spec pilots even know how to use the rudder?? I mean,... after they are done with the nose wheel steering function.

• Upvote 2

A few guys at Hurlburt do...

Outstanding! Good caveat.

But,... for the sake of "splitting hairs",... that aircraft was not originally designed for the military (i.e. not "mil-spec").

But your point is made. :beer:

p.s. that Basler conversion looks sweet.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1