Flying Scarf/Scarves

Guest Ragansundowner

I'm trying to find a silk flying scarf to give as a gift for someone. I'm wondering if they only come in white or if it's possible to get them with different designs/color patterns?

Anyone know what stores sell/make them? I need a black and yellow checkered design if possible.

Thanks,

R.S.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know anybody at Columbus, you can try to see if they can get you one from the 37th FTS (one of the Tweet squadrons). I don't know if they still have the same design, but they used to have black and yellow checkered scarves. I don't think they are issued to students, but I'm sure you could buy one from the snacko.

The black-and-yellow checkerboard scarves used to be the excluive territory of the USAF Weapons School. When I was a maintenance officer out at Nellis (and before I thought scarves were kind of retarded!), I tried to get one but they wouldn't part with one...saying that they were only for WIC IPs!

That being said, most of the scarves I've seen are made by a place called Rama World (http://www.ramaworld.com/) out in California. I'm sure you might be able to get something from them.

Toro, I think the 37th scarves used to be blue-and-yellow.

Originally posted by Hacker:

The black-and-yellow checkerboard scarves used to be the excluive territory of the USAF Weapons School. When I was a maintenance officer out at Nellis (and before I thought scarves were kind of retarded!), I tried to get one but they wouldn't part with one...saying that they were only for WIC IPs!

Hacker,

Someone actually said that? If a Crew Chief or MX dude asked, I always gave it up (STS), partly because I hated wearing the damn thing, mainly because they deserved it. At one point we were actually ordered to wear the scarf...I know tradition reigns, but I thought it was just something else to carry around.

Originally posted by Clearedhot:

Someone actually said that? If a Crew Chief or MX dude asked, I always gave it up (STS)

Yep, fully true story that happened circa 97 or 98. I asked the Commandant (Col. Sergeant?) who said "no" and later an IP who gave me the story that the scarves were only for IPs. I thought fighter pilots were a bunch of pr*cks then, anyway, so it didn't surprise me.

Now, being on the other side, if someone asked me for a scarf, I'd give it to them just to make it go away!

[ 17. October 2004, 09:48: Message edited by: Hacker ]

Originally posted by Hacker:

Yep, fully true story that happened circa 97 or 98. I asked the Commandant (Col. Sergeant?) who said "no" and later an IP who gave me the story that the scarves were only for IPs. I thought fighter pilots were a bunch of pr*cks then, anyway, so it didn't surprise me.

Now, being on the other side, if someone asked me for a scarf, I'd give it to them just to make it go away!

Hacker,

I hope that attitude is gone now. I left the WIC two years ago they and simply did not tolerate that kind of BS. The Commandant a few years ago, Col Rand, was huge on Weapons Officer Training (WOT Blocks). He spent hours covering the ethos of weapons officers and the school. His biggest message was humility. The last thing he wanted was the ivory tower syndrome and the resonated with those of us who had seen it out on the line.

I felt lucky to be selected to go, let alone come back and teach there. I also saw it as an obligation to share what I learned so we could all be better when the balloon goes up. I also knew I couldn’t do my job if it wasn’t for the dudes out on the flightline busting their ass to keep me in the air.

It probably doesn’t mean much now, but I apologize for that BS in the past and the next time I am in Valdosta (December), beer is on me.

[ 17. October 2004, 11:46: Message edited by: Clearedhot ]

• 3 months later...
Guest GugelmanW

I need to order unit flight suit scarves for my detachment. If anyone could point me in the right direction on where to order/find them, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Guest rotorhead

It amazes me how leadership keeps getting this wrong...particularly since (at some point in their career) they were junior/mid level officers, enduring these force-feed "motivations". Leadership continually believes that things like scarves "enhance" camaraderie, teamwork, and belongingness, while simultaneously forbiding flightcap crush, rolling up flight suit sleeves, etc. After you get your "cool" scarf, you are told exactly how to wear it (don't do it wrong), that you MUST wear it (so everyone is "standardized"), that you must NOT wear it during flight, etc. Leadership that thinks such actions foster camaraderie are tragically myopic...camaraderie must come from within the team, not dictated and directed as dogma from above. In 19 years, I have NEVER heard anyone below the position of DO say "I've got a good idea, let's get scarves!"

Guest AirGuardian

Sorry Toro,

I guess they're not many REAL FIGHTER PILOTS out there left. You of course, and I agree with you anyway.

Scarves ARE Gaaay.

Tradition is one thing, purpose is another. I'm purpose driven...

Who of you out there has no environmental system and can open your window or has no window during normal flight...hence a purpose for the scarf...

Grog = Tradition - Purpose = see your friends throw up...

Scarves = to see your so-called friends look

[ 28. January 2005, 00:42: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Originally posted by Beaver:

I say let's hang on to what we have left before we turn into a bunch of no fun, purpose driven robots.

Actually, I was turned off by the scarf because I was forced to wear it. Like AirGuardian mentioned, we have no practical purpose for wearing it anymore. In addition, I thought it was uncomfortable and a bit aggravating. When I was at Columbus, somebody in the higher ups mandated that everybody wear the scarf with their daily uniform. But, IAW the regs, it had to be removed before flying. So the message was that I had to wear something that served no practical purpose, then remove it before the point at which it initially served its purpose. Hmmm.

Didn't mean to offend by saying fighter pilots don't wear them, but in the five years since I left Columbus I haven't seen one fighter pilot who wore a scarf.

I'll hang onto my RMO, colored T-shirt, silly songs, immature pilot lingo, and any other tradition with dear life. But the scarf is one I'm willing to let go.

• 2 months later...

Before posting in this thread ask yourself if you are actaully going to answer my question or offer an opinion. I only want an answer. I have no desire for this to become another sh!tstorm thread.

At my ROTC det we have a silk detachment flying scarf. Cadets who have been selected for UPT/UNT are allowed to wear the scarf with their bags. All I want to know is the proper way to wear the scarf. If you know the answer please post. If you want to offer an opinion about why cadets shouldn't be allowed to wear a scarf or bag please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Fold it in half length-wise and wear it around the inside your collar against your neck. It shouldn't be sticking up outside the back of your collar. The two ends hang flat down the front inside the flight suit. Don't zip your bag up too high.

If you had any sack you'd wear it outside your flight suit, wrapped around your neck like Eddie Rickenbacker.

Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by Det002cadet:

Before posting in this thread ask yourself if you are actaully going to answer my question or offer an opinion. I only want an answer. I have no desire for this to become another sh!tstorm thread.

At my ROTC det we have a silk detachment flying scarf. Cadets who have been selected for UPT/UNT are allowed to wear the scarf with their bags. All I want to know is the proper way to wear the scarf. If you know the answer please post. If you want to offer an opinion about why cadets shouldn't be allowed to wear a scarf or bag please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Well I guess I asked myself your question and decided I don't want to answer "your way". I tried to email you after your "insubordinate" email to me but I see you got scared and put me

on your "ignore" list.

Enjoy your scarf now, attitudes like yours are very obvious from the beginning of UPT. There is ALWAYS ONE, "they" know how to handle it.