USAFA vs. USNA

LJDRVR

This may have been posted before, my apologies if it has, but I don't think I've seen it here:

LETTER ON WHETHER TO BECOME AN AIR FORCE PILOT...... OR A NAVAL AVIATOR......

The piece is written by Bob Norris, a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about U.S. Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off".

In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following:

22 December 2005

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine

way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch

and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is

homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect,what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black Shoes (surface warfare) and Bubble Heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on

cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if

you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your

hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad

weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you

- your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

P.S.: Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

Guest ShortThrow

Lol I just had a huge argument about this with my friend who attends USNA, although he is going into like nuclear physics or something it was still funny. Also on a side note, I guess their whole school is pissed at "Hollywood" for that Annapolis movie. He said the Navy didnt even give permission and that it was filmed at some school in Philedalphia. Funny.

[ 23. January 2006, 21:25: Message edited by: ShortThrow ]

Originally posted by LJDRVR:

The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

And that hottest girl is actually a 12 year old boy with nice makeup.

Originally posted by ShortThrow:

it was filmed at some school in Philedalphia. Funny.

Philadelphia’s Girard College, built in the 19th century as a school for indigent boys.

Hoser

Guest RaptorKeeper

Yeah, but I will say this about the Navy... their movie is way better than ours... Let's see... on the plausibility meter, Top Gun... or Iron Eagle. Yeah, because everyday some Colonel's snot nosed kid is gonna steal an F-16 and shoot down a Middle Eastern Dictator Ace.

[ 23. January 2006, 22:13: Message edited by: RaptorKeeper ]

Guest Sniper5482

I know I've seen this letter before so it's definitely older than 22 December 2005. I can't remember for sure, but I think I saw it as a senior in high school 5 years ago right before I made that same decision as this kid. A lot of good it did...i ended up turning down both academies to do AFROTC. I'm happy w/ it, but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure I would have done fine with whatever I picked...

real college sure was a good time though and I think I got to enjoy a few more than I would have at annapolis or colorado springs

-Sniper

Originally posted by RaptorKeeper:

Yeah, but I will say this about the Navy... their movie is way better than ours... Let's see... on the plausibility meter, Top Gun... or Iron Eagle. Yeah, because everyday some Colonel's snot nosed kid is gonna steal an F-16 and shoot down a Middle Eastern Dictator Ace.

What about behind enemy lines? Talk about plausibility...

hey but at least we have Stargate!

Guest Sniper5482

Yeah I think the AF gets no loving when it comes to movies...because why wouldn't they make Behind Enemy Lines more accurate to the O'Grady story and use an AF pilot. Hollywood has a hard on for the Navy simply because chicks dig the uniform more than other branches. Whatever brings in the most $$$.

I did love that scene in Behind Enemy Lines when the SAM followed them for about 2 minutes! HAHA

-Sniper

CAUTION, POTENTIAL THREAD HI-JACK:

YGBSM. There ARE great AF movies, you just have to look a little further than Blockbuster...

1. Strategic Air Command - Jimmy Stewart is a St. Louis Cardinals baseball player who flew in WW2 and is recalled to active duty in the 1950's to fly B-36's and B-47's. Awesome movie.

2. Dr. Strangelove - while not realistic, surely is an off the wall look at the what-if senario of WW3 and the end of the world as we know it. Not to mention one of the most quote-able movies of all time (the most quoteable being Blazing Saddles).

3. Dont forget about 12 O'Clock High either...

"The Air Force never sleeps..."

-Gen Buck Turgeson

Chuck

[ 24. January 2006, 22:36: Message edited by: ChuckFlys17s ]

Originally posted by RaptorKeeper:

One word- Stealth

Need I say more?

Hey Chuck, don't forget about that old and lesser known one, "By Dawn's Early Light" back in the days when the AF was still in control of Looking Glass...