Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

17 hours ago, skibum said:

I doubt that will get you to the U-2, but it could get you your desired location for family reasons. It also opens up the wide-wide world of many other options.

I think people make too much of the hiring process complexity and black majic but if i've learned anything talking to U-2 people it's don't listen to non-U-2 about the U-2, which I of course I am not and so you shouldn't care what i have to say about it, lol.

Edited by 12xu2a3x3
  • Upvote 1

The good ole days of being a UPT IP are over. AETC “is at war”. Not my quote, that’s from the senior leaders. What it translates to: expect max duty day, min crew rest, minimal CT opportunity, and local weekend flying. Sure, you PROBABLY won’t deploy and you’ll get to sleep in your own bed most nights…but the job is hardly a cake walk anymore. You’re going to trade extended TDYs for the meat grinder of pilot production. Reference the manning crisis threads for further. 

That’s not true, it’s all a hoax. That’s what they want you to believe.

The student pilots don’t need some experimental accelerated pilot training program that got rushed through and put into circulation.

The IPs just need to give them some ivermectin and the students will fly better and the IPs won’t need to work so hard.

Oh wait, wrong thread. Sorry about that…
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

I think people make too much of the hiring process complexity and black majic but if i've learned anything talking to U-2 people it's don't listen to non-U-2 about the U-2, which I of course I am not and so you shouldn't care what i have to say about it, lol.

My point is that I believe the U-2 is active component only. Palace Chase = guard or reserve. Perhaps it happens, but I'm not familiar with people jumping back on AD to fly the U-2 after leaving AD. Anyone else care to chime in?

10 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

@M2 It seems this thread and the “Changing/Switching Airframes” thread in General Discussion are basically the same thing.

Concur.  Merged, thanks!

Haha!

I separated at the 15 year point of my AD career. 
Came back to the U-2 two years later and on AD. 

A few years later, I retired from AD while flying the U-2. Returned to AD again to fly the U-2. 

We have another pilot here that did the same thing as me, albeit a few years after I did it. 

The U-2 is The Land of Misfit Toys. We are an odd lot. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1