Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

Being a A&P and taxing multiple airframes all Boeings how you can safely taxi with one guy in the cockpit, I was asking the guy next to me are we clear always. Most damage done on airliners is done at the gate or the pushback or taxi away from the terminal. It's great it gives a bunch of us mechanics a bunch of OT but it also means some guy's career just destroyed.

On 7/19/2022 at 4:42 PM, ThreeHoler said:

CH, the NDAA forces the Services to make a “business case” for each bonus segment. They can’t just offer the max to everyone because Congress has limited it when they tried that. Or so we have been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Dogmatic thinking...It takes leadership.  If USAF senior leaders can go to the mat for new programs and weapons, do the same for your Fing people.  Having worked on the hill I know what you are saying and trust me I understand the NDAA, go FIGHT for your people.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, ClearedHot said:

offer each one $1M and see if your retention rate changes.

That’s pretty close to the cumulative airline v O5 pay difference over 10-15 years.  $150k in the AF, $200-250k in the airlines.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2022 at 5:34 PM, Prosuper said:

Being a A&P and taxing multiple airframes all Boeings how you can safely taxi with one guy in the cockpit, I was asking the guy next to me are we clear always. Most damage done on airliners is done at the gate or the pushback or taxi away from the terminal. It's great it gives a bunch of us mechanics a bunch of OT but it also means some guy's career just destroyed.

No reflection on you but when I've relinquish ownership and sat in the back while mechanics do engine runs or taxied a plane you would think they were teenagers that had just gotten their license.  We had one guy drive a A320 into the gate and terminal at LGA and almost took out the 757 sitting at the next gate.  The 320 was out of commission at least 6 mths if it was ever repaired.

7 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I wonder who they will black ball if this comes to fruition - USAF Autonomous Cargo Operations

The C-130J has a 1980s com/nav suite, datalink (Block 6) that’s utter thrash and TOLD that’s not even accurate…but sure let’s jump straight to single pilot operations. Me thinks the speed of staff / acquisitions makes this a long ways off regardless of whether or not the technology is there.  The C-130 doesn’t just fly straight and level at FL390, low levels, formation, assault, NVG ops, a lot going on to simply automate. 

Edited by dream big
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dream big said:

The C-130J has a 1980s com/nav suite, datalink (Block 6) that’s utter thrash and TOLD that’s not even accurate…but sure let’s jump straight to single pilot operations. Me thinks the speed of staff / acquisitions makes this a long ways off regardless of whether or not the technology is there.  The C-130 doesn’t just fly straight and level at FL390, low levels, formation, assault, NVG ops, a lot going on to simply automate. 

You know the “Strat Airlift Mafia” of AMC leadership never gave a shit about the Herk. Maybe it’ll be different under Mini sue to his Herk background, but then again probably not. 

7 hours ago, Springer said:

No reflection on you but when I've relinquish ownership and sat in the back while mechanics do engine runs or taxied a plane you would think they were teenagers that had just gotten their license.  We had one guy drive a A320 into the gate and terminal at LGA and almost took out the 757 sitting at the next gate.  The 320 was out of commission at least 6 mths if it was ever repaired.

When I first got qualified to taxi was in the late 80's when stationed at Andrews in the 89th, C-137's, we all had to get signed off by an IP. Due to the fact that the only high powered runup areas was on the hammer head. The old JT3D's took a lot of mx and always had writeups. Plus, it was part of our preflight checklist to taxi them to the VIP spot at the terminal. All our flight engineers were taxi qualified too, after I left in 91 Gen McPeak hated seeing enlisted taxi jets and ordered it stopped.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Chida said:

This Mini worship is reminiscent of Welsh worship. Not directed at anyone in particular. 

Valid...I am biased.  Know them both and I know how hard Welsh tried and what he was up against.  I think I've posted the story before but I recall a conversation with Boomer about an ongoing ugly AF issue, he took a sip of his drink and replied "you would be surprised how little power the CSAF actually has."  As per the design of our Constitution civilians get the final say and those "appointed" to be service secretaries often have other political agendas.

I've known Mini for 28 years but have not spoken with him in a few years.   As a captain/IP he was a great pilot and a solid bro who took care of folks, I never saw a single act of careerism.  When he was the Wing/CC at Andrews I reached out for helping hiring one of my former Flight Engineers and Mini went to great lengths to help the guy who was eventually hired.  Others may have other data points but my observation so far is he is trying to break some of the dogmatic thinking. 

Also, interesting Welsh and Minihan were at Moody at the same time (Welsh was the OG, Mini was an IP).

We shall see...at least it's not CZ or Rat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Valid...I am biased.  Know them both and I know how hard Welsh tried and what he was up against.  I think I've posted the story before but I recall a conversation with Boomer about an ongoing ugly AF issue, he took a sip of his drink and replied "you would be surprised how little power the CSAF actually has."  As per the design of our Constitution civilians get the final say and those "appointed" to be service secretaries often have other political agendas.

I've known Mini for 28 years but have not spoken with him in a few years.   As a captain/IP he was a great pilot and a solid bro who took care of folks, I never saw a single act of careerism.  When he was the Wing/CC at Andrews I reached out for helping hiring one of my former Flight Engineers and Mini went to great lengths to help the guy who was eventually hired.  Others may have other data points but my observation so far is he is trying to break some of the dogmatic thinking. 

Also, interesting Welsh and Minihan were at Moody at the same time (Welsh was the OG, Mini was an IP).

We shall see...at least it's not CZ or Rat.

My guess is some Capt WO had this as an idea for a deployment situation and wanted to try it now instead of when shit kicks off. Instead of just killing it, Mini said well let’s try this out of the box thinking and see if it’s feasible. I also assume they went into it knowing the answer may end up being no. However instead of just killing the idea he empowered the people to try it in a controlled environment, the stuff most of us want. But the memo leaked and we lost our minds because we all made assumptions about why the memo was created, the long term intent, and the classic “that’s not how we’ve always done it”. People read way too much into this. Maybe I’m just looking at this with my glass half full.

• Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, MCO said:

My guess is some Capt WO had this as an idea for a deployment situation and wanted to try it now instead of when shit kicks off. Instead of just killing it, Mini said well let’s try this out of the box thinking and see if it’s feasible. I also assume they went into it knowing the answer may end up being no. However instead of just killing the idea he empowered the people to try it in a controlled environment, the stuff most of us want. But the memo leaked and we lost our minds because we all made assumptions about why the memo was created, the long term intent, and the classic “that’s not how we’ve always done it”. People read way too much into this. Maybe I’m just looking at this with my glass half full.

But but but but but…the airlines don’t do it this way, the FAA says we can’t, and I need someone to tell me how to properly report lasing accidents while I fly around lights on in Meg!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PeggyDriver46
13 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Fixed it for you.

You know him too, eh 😆

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

But T-1 CRM!!!!!!!!!!!! save the jayhawk

They should take it one step further and have the Pilot and Boom bail out at cruise and let it fly itself.   

10 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

What on earth are you talking about?

/s

TOAD = Take off and die. When Tankers belonged to SAC in the Cold War, if called upon they would keep flying till they gave every bit of gas to the Buffs headed towards Russia..likely not having enough gas for a safe RTB.