Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

Haha!

I separated at the 15 year point of my AD career. 
Came back to the U-2 two years later and on AD. 

A few years later, I retired from AD while flying the U-2. Returned to AD again to fly the U-2. 

We have another pilot here that did the same thing as me, albeit a few years after I did it. 

The U-2 is The Land of Misfit Toys. We are an odd lot. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Hey all, this seems like the appropriate place to ask this question.

I'm an active guy in an older tanker platform and I'm not enjoying it. I'd like to leave the tanker world at the conclusion of this assignment. I'll even go back to UPT for an assignment, but I'd rather still stay on the operational side. I do NOT want to go back to the tanker (or to the KC-46). Are there crossflow opportunities out there for tanker guys? Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Yeetaway6969 said:

I'm an active guy in an older tanker platform and I'm not enjoying it. I'd like to leave the tanker world at the conclusion of this assignment. I'll even go back to UPT for an assignment, but I'd rather still stay on the operational side. I do NOT want to go back to the tanker (or to the KC-46). Are there crossflow opportunities out there for tanker guys? Thanks!

Easiest is to go teach at UPT, but that will only be temporary and you'll end up back in the tanker unless you can swing a follow on PIT assignment. Phoenix Reach/Mobility can also get you out of the tanker for an assignment. 89th or Flight Check are more permanent options. And there is always the tiny chance of a mechanical crossflow.

1 hour ago, tac airlifter said:

What does “mechanical crossflow” mean?

The functionals let pilots from one MDS move to another MDS. From what I've seen, it's happened when one community is deemed "overmanned" and the other is deemed "undermanned." That's the gouge I've gotten from the 2x former C-17 pilots that have swapped into the KC-135 at least.

6 hours ago, Yeetaway6969 said:

Couple tanker dudes have cross flowed to AFSOC the last couple of years if that’s your cup of tea. It’s a double edged sword though. 

1 hour ago, StrikeOut312 said:

The functionals let pilots from one MDS move to another MDS. From what I've seen, it's happened when one community is deemed "overmanned" and the other is deemed "undermanned." That's the gouge I've gotten from the 2x former C-17 pilots that have swapped into the KC-135 at least.

Thanks for the explanation, never heard it called that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

not that there are many 11Rs on here but the rumor is the first dude (a co!) got a -46 assignment, no idea where. if they do actually divest half the jets next year, this might be people's chance to escape tinker/robbins/9th circle.

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2021 at 3:50 PM, Yeetaway6969 said:

Go U-2s. 

Gets you out of MAF, keeps you operational, and you get to fly the U-2 and the T-38.

Edited by Bigred
  • Upvote 1

Guest PeggyDriver46
4 hours ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

not that there are many 11Rs on here but the rumor is the first dude (a co!) got a -46 assignment, no idea where. if they do actually divest half the jets next year, this might be people's chance to escape tinker/robbins/9th circle.

9th Circle as in Offutt because Nebraska is a cold, windy turdcicle or 9th circle as in the 9th recon wing? 

I figure folks lucky enough to get picked up for the U-2 don't leave it, although I don't know anyone in the U-2 so I can't really speak to it. 

3 hours ago, LoveDumpster said:

I figure folks lucky enough to get picked up for the U-2 don't leave it, 

Somewhat true when considering moving to other AF platforms, at least in the last few years.  We have had the occasional pilot go to a "special" flying assignment but that was a good career move.  I can't think of too many in the past few years that have gone to other flying assignments without intending to return.

One thing to consider about the U-2:  if you decide to do it and get accepted, you better be sure you want to be there.  No one forced you to go... and you won't get much sympathy if you get there and decide you don't like it.  It's a self-inflicted wound.  We offer you a lot of chances to take a hard look at the good, the bad, and the ugly about U-2 Life.  So get leave, buy an airline ticket, and go spend a couple of days at Beale to check it out before you apply.  

p.s.  Keep in mind, the U-2 Program is overmanned.  Obviously.  As evidenced by the fact that some genius at AFPC decided they didn't qualify for a pilot bonus.  So don't come to the U-2 "for the money".  And don't come there because we have the T-38A.  Come there because you want to be a high-altitude Recce Pilot in the cockpit of a U-2.  In a pressure suit.  By yourself. 

If that isn't your primary reason for going, then save everyone a lot of hassle and look elsewhere.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LoveDumpster said:

9th Circle as in Offutt because Nebraska is a cold, windy turdcicle or 9th circle as in the 9th recon wing? 

I figure folks lucky enough to get picked up for the U-2 don't leave it, although I don't know anyone in the U-2 so I can't really speak to it. 

I know U-2 dudes/dudettes are 11Rs but not really taking about them, I’m talking about 13B controlled communities. I actually hear people like Offutt and I liked the new WG/CC when she was the EOG/CC. But they can’t send everybody there. 

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

On 11/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, Yeetaway6969 said:

In the last few years, -135 guys have crossflowed to the MC-130J (join spouse) U-28 (mechanical crossflow), F-22, B-1 (MAF to CAF crossflow program), B-2, and more. The Combat Aviation Advisor program is another opportunity to look into. 

Edited by Newb

38 minutes ago, Newb said:

In the last few years, -135 guys have crossflowed to the MC-130J (join spouse) U-28 (mechanical crossflow), F-22, B-1 (MAF to CAF crossflow program), B-2, and more. The Combat Aviation Advisor program is another opportunity to look into. 

Any recommendations on how you pitch a crossflow to your cc and/or functional outside of special assignment programs (U2, 89th, Phoenix Reach, etc.)? From my experience it seems (or at least there's the appearance) that dudes who say they want to leave their mws often get hung out to dry.

Edited by LiquidSky

As the guy who was the U-2 recruiter for a number of years, it was commander specific. 

I had pilots call me and we would run the application wickets quietly until the very last minute when they had to come clean with their boss. 

Then, there were CC's on the opposite end of the spectrum that were very supportive of their pilot applying to the U-2. In a few cases, they sought me out. 

It just depends. 

Edited by HuggyU2

On 11/25/2021 at 10:46 AM, StoleIt said:

Easiest is to go teach at UPT, but that will only be temporary and you'll end up back in the tanker unless you can swing a follow on PIT assignment. Phoenix Reach/Mobility can also get you out of the tanker for an assignment. 89th or Flight Check are more permanent options. And there is always the tiny chance of a mechanical crossflow.

What is Phoenix Reach/Mobility?

1 hour ago, ItnStln said:

Usually the Phoenix programs are for the shiny pennies. AMC uses it as a breadth program to either get experience in a different MWS (Reach), the AOC/CRG (Mobility), or staff (Torch). Reach and Torch are usually reserved for top strat'd Bob's with upper management written all over them. Mobility is all over the place...not everyone wants to play Army.

https://www.amc.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/1550267/amc-pushes-boundaries-through-innovative-officer-development-programs/

Bottom line, to the OP or whoever else wants to get out of their airframe...is don't just sit, bitch, and wallow in self pity. Work hard, be a bro/bra, and earn a way out. If you just do the bare minimum your CC isn't gonna push you to do shit except maybe go somewhere you don't wanna go (are non-vols to pred's still a thing?).

And don't just auto delete all the MyPers emails. Those are the official ways to apply to special programs (89th, U-2, B-2, etc)...which guess what? You still generally need a push from your Sq/Gp/Wg CC for those programs. And, at least at the 89th (but I imagine everywhere else also), you will definitely get bro/bra checked.

Just keep persistent man. You may need to be patient and wait to leave for the guard but one thing I've found is your repBrotation follows you everywhere and you will be SURPRISED how quickly you get calls if yours is good. 

Help others! Accept your goals will have to wait and do EVERYTHING you can to help your bros and subordinates reach theirs. It will carry you my friend. They will remember the acts when you are looking for a move. 

7 hours ago, ItnStln said:

It’s for those in the MAF who either didn’t get what they wanted out of UPT to go to their first assignment allowing them to “right a wrong” or by wanting to get promoted into leadership and not by flying skill. This is done by:

1. Not be a good pilot.

2. Become an exec.

3. Fly less as a lackluster pilot.

4. Solely upgrade because they’re the Sq/CC’s “HPO.”

5. Cross flow into another MAF aircraft where they won’t fly much because now they’re usually an ADO and solely upgrade for their career progression, not their skill.

Here’s an example of a douchebag Phoenix program product.

https://www.afcent.af.mil/Units/379th-Air-Expeditionary-Wing/Biographies/Article/2274232/colonel-jeremy-e-williams/

Terrible program that promotes terrible aviators into leadership positions.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, StoleIt said:

Usually the Phoenix programs are for the shiny pennies. AMC uses it as a breadth program to either get experience in a different MWS (Reach), the AOC/CRG (Mobility), or staff (Torch). Reach and Torch are usually reserved for top strat'd Bob's with upper management written all over them. Mobility is all over the place...not everyone wants to play Army.

https://www.amc.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/1550267/amc-pushes-boundaries-through-innovative-officer-development-programs/

Bottom line, to the OP or whoever else wants to get out of their airframe...is don't just sit, bitch, and wallow in self pity. Work hard, be a bro/bra, and earn a way out. If you just do the bare minimum your CC isn't gonna push you to do shit except maybe go somewhere you don't wanna go (are non-vols to pred's still a thing?).

And don't just auto delete all the MyPers emails. Those are the official ways to apply to special programs (89th, U-2, B-2, etc)...which guess what? You still generally need a push from your Sq/Gp/Wg CC for those programs. And, at least at the 89th (but I imagine everywhere else also), you will definitely get bro/bra checked.

Thanks for the explanation sir!

10 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

It’s for those in the MAF who either didn’t get what they wanted out of UPT to go to their first assignment allowing them to “right a wrong” or by wanting to get promoted into leadership and not by flying skill. This is done by:

1. Not be a good pilot.

2. Become an exec.

3. Fly less as a lackluster pilot.

4. Solely upgrade because they’re the Sq/CC’s “HPO.”

5. Cross flow into another MAF aircraft where they won’t fly much because now they’re usually an ADO and solely upgrade for their career progression, not their skill.

Here’s an example of a douchebag Phoenix program product.

https://www.afcent.af.mil/Units/379th-Air-Expeditionary-Wing/Biographies/Article/2274232/colonel-jeremy-e-williams/

Terrible program the promotes terrible aviators into leadership positions.

That example lines up with everything in your description. Thanks!