Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

1 hour ago, Ch33s3 said:

hey y’all! heard some rumint the other day supposedly from afpc via a sq/cc via another co in my community, wondering if there’s any merit to it and if anyone has heard anything similar. I’m told that every pilot must, within their first ten years, go do a white jet tour or instruct at the ftu. 

who’s got the gouge?

What, you didn’t think the AF was gonna let you finish your commitment before getting its pound of flesh out of you first, did you?

I did a tour in white jets. Was probably my favorite assignment, honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What, you didn’t think the AF was gonna let you finish your commitment before getting its pound of flesh out of you first, did you?
I did a tour in white jets. Was probably my favorite assignment, honestly. 

White jets have a terrible reputation. I’ve had great assignments that make people jealous and one to Laughlin that makes people cringe…I loved it. One of the best things to happen to me in life was going there as a young Capt.

14 hours ago, Ch33s3 said:

hey y’all! heard some rumint the other day supposedly from afpc via a sq/cc via another co in my community, wondering if there’s any merit to it and if anyone has heard anything similar. I’m told that every pilot must, within their first ten years, go do a white jet tour or instruct at the ftu. 

who’s got the gouge?

What's a white jet tour?

3 minutes ago, ItnStln said:

Thanks! Out of curiosity, what did it mean in the past?

White jets seemingly also used to include DV airlift and certain test applications. In short, grey jets go to war, white jets, or jets painted white, were used for more inane purposes. 

However the term has really just grown to mean training. 

22 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

I’m an ignorant slut, apologies all! 

Most of these assignments are going to want an experienced AC or IP right? Upgrades seem realllll slow in my neck of the woods, trying to figure out where i might be able to go to actually get some seat time down the road

On 9/13/2021 at 12:57 PM, FLEA said:

So just to be clear, it's unlikely your 11R functional will prevent you from applying to the U-2 since they manage both positions. However, they can and will deny you approval to apply to other for hire programs depending on manning. 

Additionally, as @Sua Sponte mentioned, getting into the programs is not an automatic. Your skill has to match your desire. Truth is, not everyone is a phenomenal pilot. 

i'm not a phenomenal pilot but i've done alright so far and maybe can keep it going inshallah.

i've kind of resigned myself to T-6s already, might even help with the U-2. the jet will be fun just locations will be tough (my wife and i are late 30s she's got a well established career)

23 minutes ago, Ch33s3 said:

I’m an ignorant slut, apologies all! 

Most of these assignments are going to want an experienced AC or IP right? Upgrades seem realllll slow in my neck of the woods, trying to figure out where i might be able to go to actually get some seat time down the road

Yea, don’t use that phrase.

UPT IPs require 100 hours of AC time or a waiver.

White jet tours are sometimes referred to ALFA. 

Air Liaison Officer (ALO), Lead In Fighter Training (IFF), Forward Air Controller-Airborne (FAC-A), Air Training Command (AETC UPT, UCT, URT IP)

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, di1630 said:

White jets have a terrible reputation. I’ve had great assignments that make people jealous and one to Laughlin that makes people cringe…I loved it. One of the best things to happen to me in life was going there as a young Capt.

Care to explain?  I am the last one to complain:  Willie-->Zweibrucken-->Bergstrom-->DM.

Care to explain?  I am the last one to complain:  Willie-->Zweibrucken-->Bergstrom-->DM.

Lots of parties at the club, flotillas on the lake. I’d routinely take a T-38 XC solo on weekends from TX to WA, land at a civilian airport, party with friends, and fly home. Sure, it has its down sides but overall a great experience.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

Lots of parties at the club, flotillas on the lake. I’d routinely take a T-38 XC solo on weekends from TX to WA, land at a civilian airport, party with friends, and fly home. Sure, it has its down sides but overall a great experience.

I was at Laughlin for 4 years and had a great time.   

• Like 1

I'm assuming you owe time or you wouldn't be asking. Have you thought of Palace Chase? I used the competing FAM notices in my favor in the past. I had one email saying we were overmanned, so I didn't qualify for the bonus (wouldn't have taken it anyway). I had another one (literally from the same O-6 at HQ) about four weeks later saying they denied my Palace Chase because they were critically manned. I scooped up both, forwarded them to the IG and magically had my Palace Chase approved three weeks later.

I doubt that will get you to the U-2, but it could get you your desired location for family reasons. It also opens up the wide-wide world of many other options.

The good ole days of being a UPT IP are over. AETC “is at war”. Not my quote, that’s from the senior leaders. What it translates to: expect max duty day, min crew rest, minimal CT opportunity, and local weekend flying. Sure, you PROBABLY won’t deploy and you’ll get to sleep in your own bed most nights…but the job is hardly a cake walk anymore. You’re going to trade extended TDYs for the meat grinder of pilot production. Reference the manning crisis threads for further. 

Edited by Standby
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, skibum said:

I had one email saying we were overmanned, so I didn't qualify for the bonus.

I had another one (literally from the same O-6 at HQ) about four weeks later saying they denied my Palace Chase because they were critically manned.

Reason #6 why Big Blue doesn't always win.  Because Big Blue is made of up of a myriad of sub-organizations that don't communicate with each other.  

Excellent work, SkiBum.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, skibum said:

I doubt that will get you to the U-2, but it could get you your desired location for family reasons. It also opens up the wide-wide world of many other options.

I think people make too much of the hiring process complexity and black majic but if i've learned anything talking to U-2 people it's don't listen to non-U-2 about the U-2, which I of course I am not and so you shouldn't care what i have to say about it, lol.

Edited by 12xu2a3x3
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The good ole days of being a UPT IP are over. AETC “is at war”. Not my quote, that’s from the senior leaders. What it translates to: expect max duty day, min crew rest, minimal CT opportunity, and local weekend flying. Sure, you PROBABLY won’t deploy and you’ll get to sleep in your own bed most nights…but the job is hardly a cake walk anymore. You’re going to trade extended TDYs for the meat grinder of pilot production. Reference the manning crisis threads for further. 

That’s not true, it’s all a hoax. That’s what they want you to believe.

The student pilots don’t need some experimental accelerated pilot training program that got rushed through and put into circulation.

The IPs just need to give them some ivermectin and the students will fly better and the IPs won’t need to work so hard.

Oh wait, wrong thread. Sorry about that…
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

I think people make too much of the hiring process complexity and black majic but if i've learned anything talking to U-2 people it's don't listen to non-U-2 about the U-2, which I of course I am not and so you shouldn't care what i have to say about it, lol.

My point is that I believe the U-2 is active component only. Palace Chase = guard or reserve. Perhaps it happens, but I'm not familiar with people jumping back on AD to fly the U-2 after leaving AD. Anyone else care to chime in?