Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

BRS pays out at 2% per year for retirement vice 2.5% of the traditional system so like was mentioned above, it’s 40% vs 50% at the high 3 at 20 years.

As mentioned above, you’re not taking into account TSP matching which the legacy program doesn’t provide. 

• Upvote 2

As mentioned above, you’re not taking into account TSP matching which the legacy program doesn’t provide. 
My rough math when I was making the choice between the 2 showed BRS ahead for the first 7 years of retirement, then falling behind the legacy system for the rest of time, based on 5% annual return from the market (very conservative return).

The big takeaway was I also need outside investments, since just legacy high 3 or BRS (at the minimum matching) just provides a comfortable retirement, but isn't going to buy toys and travel.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

My rough math when I was making the choice between the 2 showed BRS ahead for the first 7 years of retirement, then falling behind the legacy system for the rest of time, based on 5% annual return from the market (very conservative return).

The big takeaway was I also need outside investments, since just legacy high 3 or BRS (at the minimum matching) just provides a comfortable retirement, but isn't going to buy toys and travel.

This^ for people making that choice at 10 or 11 years into their career at the time, the matching would have had to have been much higher than 4% to make a difference. 

2 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

This^ for people making that choice at 10 or 11 years into their career at the time, the matching would have had to have been much higher than 4% to make a difference. 

Also the problem that you don't even get matching until you've been on the BRS for 2 years. Meaning at 10 years of service, you would have only got matching for 8 years before getting out. 

4 hours ago, Negatory said:

Hopefully this isn't pedantic, but it's 2.5 x monthly base pay, not annual. Amounts to a ballpark 20k.

Shit, you're right.  That's way less of a factor than I thought. I was looking at the fact sheet and assumed the "2.5 x AC" was "annual compensation ".

• 6 months later...

i'm an 11R and i'd like to go to -46s at McGuire for family reasons (i'd take a -10 or -17 there too honestly) but the special hire for the jet is over as far as i know. so it'll have to be a mechanical transfer.

been trying to figure out what i need to try and make this happen but basically it seems like:

-loosing SQ/CC would have to concur/push me

-gaining SQ/CC would have to concur would help to pull me in

-46 functional would have to be willing to take me

-most critically, the 11R functional would have to let me go.

we're WILDLY overmanned at the moment and with most of our airplanes either being retired, needing to be, or being half ass recapped it's not a huge ask (i don't think) to leave

thoughts?

**also**

i'd really like to apply to the U-2 next assignment so i'd even be willing to keep the core 11R AFSC, think that would be an inducement?

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

1 hour ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

i'm an 11R and i'd like to go to -46s at McGuire for family reasons (i'd take a -10 or -17 there too honestly) but the special hire for the jet is over as far as i know. so it'll have to be a mechanical transfer.

been trying to figure out what i need to try and make this happen but basically it seems like:

-loosing SQ/CC would have to concur/push me

-gaining SQ/CC would have to concur would help to pull me in

-46 functional would have to be willing to take me

-most critically, the 11R functional would have to let me go.

we're WILDLY overmanned at the moment and with most of our airplanes either being retired, needing to be, or being half ass recapped it's not a huge ask (i don't think) to leave

thoughts?

**also**

i'd really like to apply to the U-2 next assignment so i'd even be willing to keep the core 11R AFSC, think that would be an inducement?

You're fucked. 

As much as it doesnt make any sense, I had a deep talk with the 11R functional about it last year. Despite the retraction of the bonus and being 130% manned, as he put it, "competing priorities at different levels of staff." In other words, at HAF they saw overmanned and killed the bonus. But at AFPC they see that the manning is all copilots and ACs and IPs are dangerously low to a point of the mission being jeapordized. So from the AFPC perspective they need to retain retain retain. They need to retain ACs to accomplish the mission, they need to retain instructors to continue to make ACs, and they need to retain copilots because they need to keep them long enough to become ACs. 

I don't have great advice to you. About the only non 11R assignment they'll allow you to take is UPT. 

If you’re all about going to McGuire for family reasons then I wouldn’t be mentioning the U-2 at Beale.  Stick with what you really want (especially for family reasons?), and then if that doesn’t work out then apply for Beale.

Or just apply for the U-2 as soon as you can and if it doesn’t work then ask for McGuire.  But wanting both tells me that the family desire isn’t really a top priority.  

1 hour ago, HeloDude said:

If you’re all about going to McGuire for family reasons then I wouldn’t be mentioning the U-2 at Beale.  Stick with what you really want (especially for family reasons?), and then if that doesn’t work out then apply for Beale.

Or just apply for the U-2 as soon as you can and if it doesn’t work then ask for McGuire.  But wanting both tells me that the family desire isn’t really a top priority.  

sorry i should be more clear, my assignment after this coming one is when i would like to apply for the U-2, not my current one. i'm not close enough to being ready for any number of reasons. i have sick parents and inlaws that i would like to be near now to help.

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

As much as it doesnt make any sense, I had a deep talk with the 11R functional about it last year. Despite the retraction of the bonus and being 130% manned, as he put it, "competing priorities at different levels of staff." In other words, at HAF they saw overmanned and killed the bonus. But at AFPC they see that the manning is all copilots and ACs and IPs are dangerously low to a point of the mission being jeapordized. So from the AFPC perspective they need to retain retain retain. They need to retain ACs to accomplish the mission, they need to retain instructors to continue to make ACs, and they need to retain copilots because they need to keep them long enough to become ACs. 

brutal and insane, we're 193% manned on Cos with a jet that basically doesn't work; something has to give and they need a better plan then venting people to del rio.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

brutal and insane, we're 193% manned on Cos with a jet that basically doesn't work; something has to give and they need a better plan then venting people to del rio.

If you want to fly U-2s, go be a T-6 IP.  I know a couple 11Rs who got accepted to the U-2 after a T-6.

Guest PeggyDriver46

46 driver here.

I have yet to see a single person get released from the KC-46 to go to anything else. Not even a white jet. If you come here, you're probably here for life. It's not a bad place to be (I like it a hell of a lot more than where I came from) but I doubt you'd be able to get a functional release to go to the U-2 down the line. Just about everyone I know at that's at their 10 year commitment is punching so manning is already going to be a tough sell. The 46 is an amazing jet to fly, but be advised a lot of your leadership is the AMC "shiny penny" type of dude, so YMMV depending on what you want to do with your career. 

If you're really interested in the 46, give the functional a call. He's easy to work with to get in, and they *are* taking regular mechanical crossflows AFAIK since manning isn't the best. 

I'm also interested in the U-2/B-2, but what you want and the Air Force wants are often two different things - and Big Blue always wins. 

There's also other jobs at McGuire that take flyers. I doubt you could go KC-10s since they're on their way out, but C-17s are possible, and you could make a case for the CRG.

Edited by LoveDumpster

Guest PeggyDriver46
8 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Haha. 

So very untrue.  

Yeah? From my understanding, you're where you're at unless your functional releases you. 

19 hours ago, LoveDumpster said:

46 driver here.

I have yet to see a single person get released from the KC-46 to go to anything else. Not even a white jet. If you come here, you're probably here for life. It's not a bad place to be (I like it a hell of a lot more than where I came from) but I doubt you'd be able to get a functional release to go to the U-2 down the line. Just about everyone I know at that's at their 10 year commitment is punching so manning is already going to be a tough sell. The 46 is an amazing jet to fly, but be advised a lot of your leadership is the AMC "shiny penny" type of dude, so YMMV depending on what you want to do with your career. 

If you're really interested in the 46, give the functional a call. He's easy to work with to get in, and they *are* taking regular mechanical crossflows AFAIK since manning isn't the best. 

I'm also interested in the U-2/B-2, but what you want and the Air Force wants are often two different things - and Big Blue always wins. 

There's also other jobs at McGuire that take flyers. I doubt you could go KC-10s since they're on their way out, but C-17s are possible, and you could make a case for the CRG.

That’s because one has to be realistic with their wants based on their ability. I know plenty of MAF pilots who wanted to fly U-2s, however their performances on check rides in their FEFs didn’t support their aviation desires.

So just to be clear, it's unlikely your 11R functional will prevent you from applying to the U-2 since they manage both positions. However, they can and will deny you approval to apply to other for hire programs depending on manning. 

Additionally, as @Sua Sponte mentioned, getting into the programs is not an automatic. Your skill has to match your desire. Truth is, not everyone is a phenomenal pilot. 

• Upvote 1

hey y’all! heard some rumint the other day supposedly from afpc via a sq/cc via another co in my community, wondering if there’s any merit to it and if anyone has heard anything similar. I’m told that every pilot must, within their first ten years, go do a white jet tour or instruct at the ftu. 

who’s got the gouge?

Edited by Ch33s3
clarity

hey y’all! heard some rumint the other day supposedly from afpc via a sq/cc via another co in my community, wondering if there’s any merit to it and if anyone has heard anything similar. I’m told that every pilot must, within their first ten years, go do a white jet tour or instruct at the ftu. 

who’s got the gouge?

"Standard" for the UPT commitment is 2x tours in your MWS, 1x outside your MWS (UPT, IFF, FTU, ALO/AMLO, etc).

Manning in some communities doesn't allow this (I think fighter community is staying on the line, for better or for worse).

ETA: not a hard "rule," but probably covers 75% of pilots