Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

3 hours ago, dream big said:

TOAD = Take off and die. When Tankers belonged to SAC in the Cold War, if called upon they would keep flying till they gave every bit of gas to the Buffs headed towards Russia..likely not having enough gas for a safe RTB. 

Guess you don’t know what “/s” means?

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, I was guided to this website by a friend. I'm an instructor pilot in a legacy tanker looking to leave the MAF. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for a crossflow that isn't going to be detrimental to my career. The days of 90% selected to major are over, and I go up for the board soon. At my base we had good pilots with no blemishes in their flying or personnel records get passed over.

No mechanical crossflow opportunities in 11M besides the KC-46, and no offense to any of the KC-46 guys but I don't want to go to the KC-46. I know a handful of people that have gone over and regretted it. The B-2 once in awhile takes tanker guys but I heard they are shutting down the pipeline here shortly, and they seem to be looking for guys younger than my YG, and I was informed that the U-2 is slated for retirement in 2026. It seems like all avenues are closing besides white jets, which I am currently leaning towards. I expect to be on the next VML and want to make the right decision. 

I realize I am asking to have my cake and eat it to, but I'm sure something out there exists. Thank you.

Just one guy's opinion, but if you're worried about promotion board results, you may want to reconsider the timing of this move. Who do you want to be when your PRF gets written: the experienced IP who's been around the squadron for a while, or the FNG that just inprocessed that probably isn't even qualified in the jet?

• Upvote 1

1. DNP letter 

2. 2x Passed over

3. Guard + airlines + still promote

But if you’re really hell bent on staying in, then…

39 minutes ago, FlyingGasAttendant said:

I was informed that the U-2 is slated for retirement in 2026

See Huggy’s post on the last page of the below thread

Edited by brabus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyingGasAttendant said:

Hey guys, I was guided to this website by a friend. I'm an instructor pilot in a legacy tanker looking to leave the MAF. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for a crossflow that isn't going to be detrimental to my career. The days of 90% selected to major are over, and I go up for the board soon. At my base we had good pilots with no blemishes in their flying or personnel records get passed over.

No mechanical crossflow opportunities in 11M besides the KC-46, and no offense to any of the KC-46 guys but I don't want to go to the KC-46. I know a handful of people that have gone over and regretted it. The B-2 once in awhile takes tanker guys but I heard they are shutting down the pipeline here shortly, and they seem to be looking for guys younger than my YG, and I was informed that the U-2 is slated for retirement in 2026. It seems like all avenues are closing besides white jets, which I am currently leaning towards. I expect to be on the next VML and want to make the right decision. 

I realize I am asking to have my cake and eat it to, but I'm sure something out there exists. Thank you.

Apply to the U2. It’s worth it.

3 hours ago, FlyingGasAttendant said:

I was informed that the U-2 is slated for retirement in 2026. 

I was informed in 2006 when PBD 720 came out that the U-2 would be gone in 2011.  

Eventually, the U-2 will go away.  When?  Good question, which I can't answer.  

If you're hell bent on promotion, changing airframes right before your promotion board seems to contradict your goals (as stated better my McBush).

In any case, good luck.  

p.s.  If you don't have a big desire to come fly the U-2 and its mission... then think twice about it.  It's not for everyone.  Feel free to swing by Beale and spend a day with us.  

Edited by HuggyU2

On 6/28/2023 at 11:59 PM, HuggyU2 said:

I was informed in 2006 when PBD 720 came out that the U-2 would be gone in 2011.  

Eventually, the U-2 will go away.  When?  Good question, which I can't answer.  

If you're hell bent on promotion, changing airframes right before your promotion board seems to contradict your goals (as stated better my McBush).

In any case, good luck.  

p.s.  If you don't have a big desire to come fly the U-2 and its mission... then think twice about it.  It's not for everyone.  Feel free to swing by Beale and spend a day with us.  

On 6/28/2023 at 10:40 PM, Bigred said:

Apply to the U2. It’s worth it.

Looking at the mission, I think I just want to get away from AMC more than I want to be a U-2 pilot, which is not what your community is looking for. Plus, I have doubts I'd pass the interview, and the medical evaluation. I have some skeletons in my medical closet. Also...I don't want to live in California. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question, though. Seems like a great opportunity, just not one for me. Plus if it is retiring in 2026 and I get picked up...I'm an older pilot without a home and that rarely works out well for people. 

I've read the entire thread, and I think I will put in for white jets, the 89th, or try to go to UPT. I may also just suck it up and go to the 46 until my time is over, and then rush a guard or reserve unit. Doesn't seem to be much else out there, besides the people that call you, and I've never got that call. I think it's wise not to pursue something else until I put on Major.

2 hours ago, FlyingGasAttendant said:

I may also just suck it up and go to the 46

Do you get a 767 type rating with that Form 8?   That'd be pretty useful.  

8 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

Do you get a 767 type rating with that Form 8?   That'd be pretty useful.  

From my understanding that only happened for those on the original SGTO where they sent you to Miami to train on a 767 sim. If you go through an Air Force KC-46 school house it doesn't happen.

From my understanding that only happened for those on the original SGTO where they sent you to Miami to train on a 767 sim. If you go through an Air Force KC-46 school house it doesn't happen.
I'm looking at moving to the 46 as well and that is the case. The 46 isn't quite a 767 (there are a couple differences) so they won't give you the type now. Only the guys that stood up the program because they had to get a background in the 767 before learning the differences to be able to fly the 46. That's my understanding from talking to those guys. I've been told though it's a pretty sweet jet to fly and it's really nice for some of us who are older and like to walk out to a jet that is half preflighted with air conditioning and a pot of coffee already going

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Baseops Network mobile app

1 hour ago, FlyingGasAttendant said:

Bummer

4 hours ago, FlyingGasAttendant said:

I've read the entire thread, and I think I will put in for white jets, the 89th, or try to go to UPT. I may also just suck it up and go to the 46 until my time is over, and then rush a guard or reserve unit. Doesn't seem to be much else out there, besides the people that call you, and I've never got that call. I think it's wise not to pursue something else until I put on Major.

Carpe diem man and make shit happen. In everything you mentioned above, they all need good people. Including the people that call you. Hell, if you want to be in the CIA you apply on their website, not via some cloak and dagger recruiting service. Clock’s ticking.

18 hours ago, Fly4five said:

I'm looking at moving to the 46 as well and that is the case. The 46 isn't quite a 767 (there are a couple differences) so they won't give you the type now. Only the guys that stood up the program because they had to get a background in the 767 before learning the differences to be able to fly the 46. That's my understanding from talking to those guys. I've been told though it's a pretty sweet jet to fly and it's really nice for some of us who are older and like to walk out to a jet that is half preflighted with air conditioning and a pot of coffee already going emoji1.png

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Baseops Network mobile app

It’s based off a 767-200 (2C cargo variant), which is the Boeing FM that it uses.

Edited by Sua Sponte

1 hour ago, TreeA10 said:

My understanding of the Frankentanker is it has a -200 fuselage, a -300 wing/motors and a -400 cockpit.  The 200 was a pig, the 300 was nice and never flew the 400.

It also has an upgraded APU to run all the refueling systems during the preflight.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:37 PM, TreeA10 said:

My understanding of the Frankentanker is it has a -200 fuselage, a -300 wing/motors and a -400 cockpit.  The 200 was a pig, the 300 was nice and never flew the 400.

So...exactly like the C40/BBJ then. 700 fuselage, 800 wing/gear...and ghetto fabulous aux tanks.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:22 PM, FlyingGasAttendant said:

Looking at the mission, I think I just want to get away from AMC more than I want to be a U-2 pilot...

Good on you for that thought process. 

We have had a few pilots in the past that ran here for the wrong reason... and they were miserable.  It makes for a rough relationship. 

Best of luck. I did 2 tours in AETC (DLF & RND), and enjoyed the experience and flying (I can see the eye rolls already). 

Edited by HuggyU2

You need to throw your hat in the ring for big jobs like Exec, CAG, DS, stuff like that.  We need more pilots willing to help move the ball forward in the office, not on the flightline.  If you want to get promoted, that’s your ticket- stay where you are at & become an invaluable desk jockey.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:56 AM, General Chang said:

You need to throw your hat in the ring for big jobs like Exec, CAG, DS, stuff like that.  We need more pilots willing to help move the ball forward in the office, not on the flightline.  If you want to get promoted, that’s your ticket- stay where you are at & become an invaluable desk jockey.

Nah, but you can have the pick of the litter from the nonners! Most have a boner for that kinda stuff anyways and frankly are better at it.

On 7/8/2023 at 9:56 AM, General Chang said:

Your troll game is slipping!

On 7/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, FlyingGasAttendant said:

Correct, some beancounter decided to not add it to the list.  

https://registry.faa.gov/TypeRatings/