Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

Hey Guys, I just received an assignment to be a T-6 IP and had some questions about current conditions at Randolph. I'd like to bring my wife and son with me. I realize they probably won't be on my orders, but how easy is it to get permission to stay off base? Pulling teeth or just a matter of verbalizing that preference? If I don't get a Non-A can I still stay off base just with the reduced Per-diem rate or will I have to eat the whole cost of a place myself? Thanks in advance for any info!

They probably will be on your orders. Just tell your outbound assignments guys that you want it that way. As far as staying off base, it's your call. You'll just get the on-base rate ($56/day for lodging) which will cover many of the short term leases you can find. Remember, you can claim lodging, utilities, cable (internet is included in this) and even rental furniture. If you want to make it easier, you can probably get a TLF on base, just call the lodging office. I don't know how that works with the extra cost though. It should be covered if you kids are on the orders. I'm no Finance_guy though.

You'll get the $56/day for lodging without the non-a if you stay of base. Several of my classmates for furnished apartments without the noon-a, and I stayed at an extended stay hotel. If your lodging cost is more than $56/day, you just pay the difference.

If you plan on staying in the tlf, make your reservation longer than what your orders say, evidently they treat an extension like a new reservation...

Paragraph I, however, states:

*I. Dependents Accompanying Traveler on TDY. The fact that a traveler’s dependent(s) may accompany the traveler

on TDY, at personal expense, does not affect the traveler’s prescribed per diem rate.

Headed to PIT in Jan. Does anybody have any other sources to find a PIT pad other than randolphpitpad.com? Looking at the horror stories with VOQ on base it doesn't look like a good option to live in for four months. Thanks for any help.

Cheers!

BL

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I stayed at the Hawthorne Inn, an extended stay hotel, should't be hard talking the manager into $56/day for 4 months. I liked it better than the PIT pad I stayed in (maid service every day vs once a week, closer to base/restaraunts, no roommates, still had a full kitchen)

http://www.brollagiopitpad.com/

If you're set on a pit pad, that's the one I stayed in, and I'd recommend it as long as you don't mind roommates. It was great until there was 5 of us in the house, and then it was just too crowded for my tastes. Has a pool and 2 home theater setups, and both the owners and manager were easy to work with.

• 6 months later...

Heading back to PIT eventually. Anyone know of pet friendly lodging solution off base? Do any of the crash pads allow pets? Short term apartments? I'm open to any ideas, except living on base. I will not do that again. Danke!

Vetter, I stayed at Chelsea Place apartments, about 15 min from the gate, furnished and pet friendly. I ended up paying about $150/month out of pocket for a single-bedroom but it was worth it in my opinion. PM me if you're interested and I can get you in touch with the guy I worked with.

I know it's been discussed before, but what are the chances of a non-UPT IP getting an assignment to PIT these days? I'm a previous MWS schoolhouse IP, and have been an IP in 5 different jets. Wondering if that would carry any weight. Any help would be appreciated.

I know it's been discussed before, but what are the chances of a non-UPT IP getting an assignment to PIT these days? I'm a previous MWS schoolhouse IP, and have been an IP in 5 different jets. Wondering if that would carry any weight. Any help would be appreciated.

Unless something has changed, the reg is that you have to be a previous AETC IP (which means UPT, not MWS) to go back to be a PIT IP. The only way to get to KRND if not a prior FAIP/UPT instructor is IFF at the 435th.

Edited by Motofalcon

I've heard rumors of Altus (C-17 and KC-135) IPs being able to get to PIT (to be an IP, not a student) without doing a UPT IP assignment, based on the fact that Altus falls under AETC.

Seems dumb that KC-10 IPs, with the FTU being in-house, would be ineligible for the same, but then again this is the Air Force we're talking about.

I've heard rumors of Altus (C-17 and KC-135) IPs being able to get to PIT (to be an IP, not a student) without doing a UPT IP assignment, based on the fact that Altus falls under AETC.

Seems dumb that KC-10 IPs, with the FTU being in-house, would be ineligible for the same, but then again this is the Air Force we're talking about.

This... It blows my mind that it's possible. There's a big difference in teaching a winged dude with 200 hours and two airframes vs a guy that has zero hours and requires 68-70 reminders to click the trim nose up when he slows down over a 1.3 hr sortie.

This... It blows my mind that it's possible. There's a big difference in teaching a winged dude with 200 hours and two airframes vs a guy that has zero hours and requires 68-70 reminders to click the trim nose up when he slows down over a 1.3 hr sortie.

Instructing at PIT means the folks you are instructing already have wings, last I checked.

Instructing at PIT means the folks you are instructing already have wings, last I checked.

True, but you're teaching a 200 hour guy how to teach a 0 hour guy while you have no real experience in the jet. I think the rule is a good one.

True, but you're teaching a 200 hour guy how to teach a 0 hour guy while you have no real experience in the jet. I think the rule is a good one.

It's a great rule..not to mention you would have no street cred. "Back when I didn't ever teach UPT"

As a current PIT IP (T-6), you must have gone thru PIT to become a PIT IP. That leads you to go to a UPT base first...

PM me if you want the named resource. She works at AFPC.

Unless you're working a PFA. Buddy's wife got there having never been out of the ops world; part of a join-spouse deal. We all know the rules apply to some more than others. If you aren't working an angle and don't know someone though, expect to have to follow the rules.

It's a great rule..not to mention you would have no street cred. "Back when I didn't ever teach UPT"

I don't totally disagree with the rule, I just think it should be something highly desired instead of required. A dude with schoolhouse experience & a ton of hours has plenty of street cred...especially when it comes to teaching guys how to be an instructor. We've all been through UPT, it's not like it's rocket surgery.
  • Upvote 1

It's a completely different teaching style. Are you teaching your C-17 co-pilots how to chairfly? Have you ever had a student that's so bad that they need to chairfly by bouncing a tennis ball and talking about flying a straight in so they can force it into sub-conscience? You're also teaching 'essentially' civilians how to become officers. By the time they graduate, most of the officership issues should be taken care of. Also, I've seen the T-6 PIT IP that can't fly the airplane well. How much cred do you have as an instructor if you only have 60 hours in the jet and I can fly it better than you?

I guess the MWS IP vs UPT IP battle hasn't raged in a while.

You can't teach brand new FAIPs and recently-upgraded-to-AC-then-sent-to-UPT MWS guys what pilot training is like if you haven't been there. And no matter what anyone thinks, your memories of UPT as a student are worthless.

And despite the fact that schoolhouse IPs deal with phenomenally bad pilots as well, it's just not the same. Hell, the 135 and 17 guys don't even see the new copilots until they've spent dozens of hours being taught by civilians.

It's a good rule, and the IPs at PIT (who had been IPs in many other planes) seemed to agree.

• Upvote 1

I understand why the rule is in place and it makes sense. That being said, rules are made to be (and have been) broken. Isn't the whole point of the TI and BIP programs to welcome you to the world of UPT- level buffoonery? Part of PIT is learning how to be proficient in the airplane, part of it is war stories. If one or two PIT IPs had no war stories I don't think it would have made a difference at all.