Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

Don't forgot, government mess now means consuming a box nasty, according to Finance Guy. :banghead:

GMAFB.

It has been that way in the AOR since 2009. Go read the CENTCOM and AFCENT memos for crews TDY or deployed in support of contingency operations.

It has been that way in the AOR since 2009. Go read the CENTCOM and AFCENT memos for crews TDY or deployed in support of contingency operations.

I've spent my share of time out there and am quite aware of the policies within that AOR, but thanks.

I was referencing efforts to have that in place outside of CENTCOM.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on KRND lodging.

They are aware that they can't make you stay on base, but if you are coming here with dependents and are expecting a TLF, you probably won't get one. On top of that, if you show up with dependents, they will have you sign a waiver stating that you know that you will not receive the Non-A letter. In fact, if they have no TLFs available, but have the non-dependent rooms open, they will make you stay in those (even if you have 2+ per room). If you have dependents attending and they don't have TLFs available, tough shit, you aren't getting more than the $40 per day to live off base.

Also, in the week I have stayed here, I have had no fewer than 4 issues with my quarters (water leaks, broken A/C, door locks inop, etc). Luckily, I don't have any dependents with me and moving out tomorrow to a PIT pad.

Yeah, the year of the military family was last year.

Good point.

I'm sure that Randolph doesn't see many PCS' during the summer months.

Probably best if they give the TLF's to PIT students.

Good point.

I'm sure that Randolph doesn't see many PCS' during the summer months.

Probably best if they give the TLF's to PIT students.

I think everyone understands why the TLFs are full, but making a family stay in non-accompanied quarters because they can't afford to find a decent place off base for $40/day is pretty low.

In San Antonio, take a look at corporate rentals. I stayed in a fully furnished (utilities/phone/cable/internet included) 2 bedroom apt in a nice complex in Northern San Antone for ~4 months during C-5 ACIQ/ACAR. After the $39/day, I think I may have spent $150/month out of pocket. More than worth the convenience of having an apartment for my family/pets and probably saved money considering I had a kitchen and could eat at home more often.

but making a family stay in non-accompanied quarters because they can't afford to find a decent place off base for $40/day is pretty low.

"Making" your family stay there? While you're earning BAQ at your home base?

Sounds like a comment from "the entitled generation".

If you value your "family time" so much, then I'd expect that the gov't giving you an additional $1200/month to keep your family with you in San Antonio Texas would be a hell of a good deal.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1

"Making" your family stay there? While you're earning BAQ at your home base?

Sounds like a comment from "the entitled generation".

If you value your "family time" so much, then I'd expect that the gov't giving you an additional $1200/month to keep your family with you in San Antonio Texas would be a hell of a good deal.

I'm not 100% up on the situation, but you are allowed to put your family on orders for PIT. It seems that most of the TDY en route and ANG/RES guys are doing that. I would think if you were TDY en route, you probably aren't receiving BAH, but I also have zero SA on how the ANG/RES works that.

I'm not 100% up on the situation, but you are allowed to put your family on orders for PIT. It seems that most of the TDY en route and ANG/RES guys are doing that. I would think if you were TDY en route, you probably aren't receiving BAH, but I also have zero SA on how the ANG/RES works that.

I don't really see how this is possible, unless things have changed for the better in the last couple of years. You make the call about the likelihood of that! Last time I PCS'd was from OCONUS to CONUS with a TDY en route. Family could not stay OCONUS, and they wouldn't pay my California housing allowance until I completed the TDY and checked in at my gaining base. This was all in the regs, I know because I fought it and lost. Furthermore, they would not put my family on my TDY orders. They paid me the CONUS base rate for BAH which was a measly $1000ish a month, not enough cover expenses in California. I really had no choice but to take them to San Antonio with me, and they wouldn't give me a non-A or TLF since my family weren't on my TDY orders. That's when I decided on the corporate housing I mentioned in the previous thread.

The moral is I'm pretty sure they aren't putting families on TDY en route w/PCS orders, especially on a CONUS to CONUS move. If you're collecting BAH somewhere, use it to lodge your family (and yourself) off base at Randolph. Your $39/day and BAH should more than cover your expenses.

While TDY enroute, you draw BAH for your last PDS until you sign in at the new PDS. If you're not maintaining a home at your old PDS, $39/day + most locations' BAH is a fuckton of money to spend in SA.

While TDY enroute, you draw BAH for your last PDS until you sign in at the new PDS. If you're not maintaining a home at your old PDS, $39/day + most locations' BAH is a fuckton of money to spend in SA.

Not true if you're going OCONUS to CONUS. We get the lovely "transient BAH" which is $1100 per month for a married O-3. Oh how I would have loved to draw insane Japan OHA for a few months while I was TDY enroute.

Not true if you're going OCONUS to CONUS. We get the lovely "transient BAH" which is $1100 per month for a married O-3. Oh how I would have loved to draw insane Japan OHA for a few months while I was TDY enroute.

Just so I'm clear...

In between OCONUS to CONUS, you have no house at either base.

You get $1100 per month for BAH.

And you get $40 per day.

So, you're getting about $2300 a month for lodging during your time at PIT?

Plus meals and incidentals of $66 per day (~$2000 per month).

So ~$4300/month above your normal pay.

Throw me in that brier patch.

• 1 month later...

More details please.

I don't know many as far as the investigation goes, but I do know that dudes were getting non-a slips shortly after I left PIT and were staying at PIT pads. The PIT pad owners were charging them the full $109/night or whatever, times 3-4 dudes per house. They were raking in well over $10,000/month on the AF's dime. In return, the owners were hiring their tenants personal chefs, buying them Best Buy gift cards, etc. It was kind of a win-win for everyone but Big Blue so apparently they're digging deeper (sts).

That doesn't sound like non-A shenanigans, that sounds like kickbacks. Non-As are pretty straightforward, either they have a room for you at the Air Force Inn or they don't.

Well I was talking about the shenanigans associated with the non-A. Sorry for mislabeling?

I'd be interested to see what the big deal is. Shady on the part of the pit pad owners? Sure. But from the AF perspective what difference does it make? Is it somehow more noble to pay Hilton that $109/nt? They may have actually saved the AF money since the hotel would be charging tax...

I'd be interested to see what the big deal is. Shady on the part of the pit pad owners? Sure. But from the AF perspective what difference does it make? Is it somehow more noble to pay Hilton that $109/nt? They may have actually saved the AF money since the hotel would be charging tax...

It's a contracting/kickback thing like guineapig said. Similar to the FBO contract fuel issues a few years ago; to attract crew going on out and backs, they'd do "free meal/swag/etc with purchase of XX gallons". They were still charging the govt contract rate for fuel, but the govt ethics people pointed out that the pilots were technically contracting officers now (since they were deciding where to land) and therefore couldn't accept free stuff from the businesses. That's why many places charge $1 for the awesome meal now instead of free.