31 With Low AFOQT Retake Scores. Haven't Had An Interview.

Hey everyone. I'm still trying to chase this dream. I've been rushing Heavy Units across the country. A lot of heavy units told me I am a great guy and that they like me, but my AFOQT scores are preventing me from getting an interview.

My original AFOQT scores are:

Pilot: 70

Nav: 37

Amb: 43

Acad: 48

Verb: 70

Quant: 32

PCSM: 41

My retake are:

Pilot: 83

CSO: 55

AMB: 63

Acad: 58

Verb: 72

Quant: 45

PCSM: 70 (with 32 flight hours)

GPA: 3.80 with Master of Science

Work in IT, Junior Admin

Hobbies: Ice Hockey, Snowboarding, Surfing, Baseball, guitar and motorsports.

I know every section has gone up. But every heavy unit I have rushed so far now has a 90 pilot score cut off.  That's the feedback I keep getting from the units them selves, that they liked me but everyone they interviewed has a 90 Pilot score. I'm trying to finish my PPL. It's just difficult to afford. I'm stunned at all of these 21-24 year old kids that not only have their PPLs but their CPLs. I'm struggling to afford it, working two jobs!

I don't want to give up but it's hard spending time and money rushing, to not even get interviews. I've shotgunned out a few apps too but TBNT from them as well. I'm not sure what else to do other than try to finish my PPL and I guess keep rushing and applying. I know it's been asked before but is there a better way to stand out during rushing (other than be yourself and don't be a jerk)?

Edited by HelpWithAFOQT

5 hours ago, HelpWithAFOQT said:

Hey everyone. I'm still trying to chase this dream. I've been rushing Heavy Units across the country. A lot of heavy units told me I am a great guy and that they like me, but my AFOQT scores are preventing me from getting an interview.

My original AFOQT scores are:

Pilot: 70

Nav: 37

Amb: 43

Acad: 48

Verb: 70

Quant: 32

PCSM: 41

My retake are:

Pilot: 83

CSO: 55

AMB: 63

Acad: 58

Verb: 72

Quant: 45

PCSM: 70 (with 32 flight hours)

GPA: 3.80 with Master of Science

Work in IT, Junior Admin

Hobbies: Ice Hockey, Snowboarding, Surfing, Baseball, guitar and motorsports.

I know every section has gone up. But every heavy unit I have rushed so far now has a 90 pilot score cut off.  That's the feedback I keep getting from the units them selves, that they liked me but everyone they interviewed has a 90 Pilot score. I'm trying to finish my PPL. It's just difficult to afford. I'm stunned at all of these 21-24 year old kids that not only have their PPLs but their CPLs. I'm struggling to afford it, working two jobs!

I don't want to give up but it's hard spending time and money rushing, to not even get interviews. I've shotgunned out a few apps too but TBNT from them as well. I'm not sure what else to do other than try to finish my PPL and I guess keep rushing and applying. I know it's been asked before but is there a better way to stand out during rushing (other than be yourself and don't be a jerk)?

What would your PCSM score be at 200 flight hrs?

All I can say is that there are over 150 reserve and ANG squadrons out there. All you need is one "YES". keep on getting after it. Cheers

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

What would your PCSM score be at 200 flight hrs?

All I can say is that there are over 150 reserve and ANG squadrons out there. All you need is one "YES". keep on getting after it. Cheers

I'll have to see if I can find the PDF of the old PCSM scores. I remember it was in the 90s with 199+ hours.

With the new grading of the PCSM scores, it's 85 at 60+.

The right squadron who really feels like they connected with you enough to want to hire you would look past those AFOQT scores. Now, it definitely wouldn’t hurt for you to try and get a waiver for a 3rd attempt.

It can quickly turn into a numbers game in which the squadron needs to find the easiest way to “weed out” the record number of applications it just received this year. Instead of looking at 150 cover letters and etc., it’s just a little easier to look at 30. Now, how you choose which 10 or so out to an interview is beyond me haha.

I DIGRESS:

If you haven’t already, I’d challenge you to start broadening your horizons and figure out which squadrons are worth spending your time and money on when rushing/visiting. If the squadron posted a hiring announcement on Bogidope, I can almost guarantee you that you will be fighting an uphill battle against some amazing applications unless you have a personal connection with that squadron. Try doing some research off of the main path….

You will find that some squadrons don’t get a lot of traction because they may not be in “desirable” locations. Some squadrons don’t even post their hiring announcements anywhere on the internet. These are places you may want to try focusing your attention. Email, call, and do whatever you need to in order to find that one genuine connection. There’s that saying about the “squeaky wheels getting the grease.”

Cut your losses and keep at it. Getting offered the dream job is definitely a magic combination of hard work, being at the right place at the right time, and a little bit of luck. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by atomatoflames
Words/spelling
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, atomatoflames said:

The right squadron who really feels like they connected with you enough to want to hire you would look past those AFOQT scores. Now, it definitely wouldn’t hurt for you to try and get a waiver for a 3rd attempt.

It can quickly turn into a numbers game in which the squadron needs to find the easiest way to “weed out” the record number of applications it just received this year. Instead of looking at 150 cover letters and etc., it’s just a little easier to look at 30. Now, how you choose which 10 or so out to an interview is beyond me haha.

I DIGRESS:

If you haven’t already, I’d challenge you to start broadening your horizons and figure out which squadrons are worth spending your time and money on when rushing/visiting. If the squadron posted a hiring announcement on Bogidope, I can almost guarantee you that you will be fighting an uphill battle against some amazing applications unless you have a personal connection with that squadron. Try doing some research off of the main path….

You will find that some squadrons don’t get a lot of traction because they may not be in “desirable” locations. Some squadrons don’t even post their hiring announcements anywhere on the internet. These are places you may want to try focusing your attention. Email, call, and do whatever you need to in order to find that one genuine connection. There’s that saying about the “squeaky wheels getting the grease.”

Cut your losses and keep at it. Getting offered the dream job is definitely a magic combination of hard work, being at the right place at the right time, and a little bit of luck. 

Hope this helps!

It helps some what. Both Heavy units that I got recent TBNT letters from were squadrons in remote cold weather states, that didn't post their hirings on Bogidope (they were done only through their email lists). Both Squadrons kept inviting back only to not get an interview. They both gave me the pilot score is less than 90 as feedback. One of the Captains from the squadron called me and told me the reasoning was that people they liked and hired in the past with pilot scores less than 90 ended up washing out of UPT, so that's why they said it was their requirement.

I've been trying other units. What I am running into a lot now, is a lot of units are doing away with individual rushing and instead just having one big rush right before Apps are due. That makes this a lot harder. Other units have straight up told me my age though within Air Force regulations is too old for them.

Then of course, I've had a ton of units I'm still trying just can't get anyone to answer the phone or respond to an email. Still trying though.